Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pigeons and planning permission

Options
  • 08-12-2008 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi just wondering can anyone help. I awoke this morning to get 2 letters from the council one even registered to say i need planning permission to keep a few pigeons. I have these in a garden shed while my dad is in hospital as I am looking after them for him until he gets well but it seems one of my lovely neighbours has written to the council and now I'm in trouble.Please note that these pigeons are never outside the shed and the shed is new and kept in immaculate condition.Needless to say how I feel as my dad has had these birds all his life and I'm sure he'll want them when he gets better. There is no one else to look after them. some people have nothing better to do.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gversey

Write a letter to the council explaining the situation and ask what are the requirements for keeping pigeons,as far as i know you dont need panning permission as long as the birds are kept in a shed that is on blocks ie, a barna shed.. If its a concrete shed and its only being built now to the ground then it has to be a certain height before people can object.If the shed has been there already and te birds are just there temporarly it should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

You can build a shed in your garden up to a certain size and height but you cannot use it for keeping pigeons. That would require planning permission. Unfortunately, the law is pretty straightforward with regard to this issue and it doesn't matter if you have them for a temporary period of time or if they are never out of the shed. Class 3 of the Planning Regulations 2001.

From the Dun Laoire Rathdown website:

8.Can I build a garden shed on my property without permission? Yes, provided that:
    1. It is not forward of the front wall of the house.
    2. Not greater than 25sqm (or no. of sheds aggregated)
    3. 25sqm of garden space is left. N.B. extensions attached to house are not reckoned as private open space.
    4. Shed finish is in keeping with the house.
    5. Shed height: max 4m pitched roof; 3m flat roof.
    6. It is not lived in or used for keeping of animals (pigs, ponies, horses, pigeons).

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Guggy1 wrote: »
    Hi just wondering can anyone help. I awoke this morning to get 2 letters from the council one even registered to say i need planning permission to keep a few pigeons. I have these in a garden shed while my dad is in hospital as I am looking after them for him until he gets well but it seems one of my lovely neighbours has written to the council and now I'm in trouble.Please note that these pigeons are never outside the shed and the shed is new and kept in immaculate condition.Needless to say how I feel as my dad has had these birds all his life and I'm sure he'll want them when he gets better. There is no one else to look after them. some people have nothing better to do.:mad:

If its only a temporary thing, just do to the council what they do to everyone else whe it comes to planning permission. pretend you are interested and let it drag on and aon and on and dont bother doing a think. they do it to everyone else! hope your father gets better!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Guggy1

Just been to the council who said I've to apply for retention for the keeping of pigeons which I am going to do now anyway out of spite cause I live in the country on a half acre site and think everyone should mind their own beeswax cause u cannot see a pigeon anywhere here as they are not out so some busybody wrote to the council to tell them. But I have to e-mail them now under the freedom of information act and pay 15 euro to find out who it was got me my first merry xmas card.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

But I have to e-mail them now under the freedom of information act and pay 15 euro to find out who it was got me my first merry xmas card.
    They won't tell you who complained.

• Advertisement

They have to don't they???
    Isn't that y i'm paying the €15??:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You will get the letter of complaint with the persons name blacked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Bond-007 wrote: »
    You will get the letter of complaint with the persons name blacked out.

I live in the sticks like guggy1 does and I'm quite sure I'd be able to suss out who wrote the letter just by reading it if I was in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Bond-007 is right, you won't get the details of the person who complained. To be honest, you're better to just let that aspect of it go and do remember that whether you think its petty or not, you are breaking planning laws by having them there.

I'm just wondering, if you live on a half acre site and the pigeons are never out how does the person who complained know about them?

Also, there is no guarantee at all that you will get retention permission and it isn't cheap to submit a planning application, particularly as you will most likely have to get professional drawings done. I'd say you should try to have a pre-planning meeting with a planner in the council to suss out the likelihood of whether you would get retention because otherwise you might be wasting your money.

What if you moved them inside into the utility room, spare bedroom, conservatory, boilerhouse. Is that possible? Surely they can't tell you what you can keep in your own house?

I understand that they aren't the cleanest of animals but are we talking about half a dozen birds or 50?

• Advertisement

To be honest the place where the pigeons are kept is probably cleaner than most peoples houses. Disinfected regularly with bleach and the inhabitants are healthier than anything around being treated regulary for all ailments and don't even have as much as a flea on them. (No expense spared on loft or birds)
    As reguards how do they know???? But it doesn't matter money isn't an object as I will not let people dictate to me what I can and cannot have inside my own shed in my own garden.
    They are not left out and I don't need plans cause the loft is well under the size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 daisychain

Guggy1 wrote: »
    But it doesn't matter money isn't an object

Are u available? ;)

Seriously, if one was to apply for retention PP for the sheds, what grounds would the council have for refusing PP? And if anybody objected, what would their reasons for objecting be?

I don't know too much about birds but I wouldn't have a problem with a neighbour of mine keeping them (and the OP specifically stated that they're INSIDE the shed). I've been hit by bird droppings once or twice but I got over it!

I was intimating that although the birds themselves aren't the most hygenic in the world, would they be too dirty to move them into the house?
    I think you are dead right Guggy1. Whoever shopped you should get a life and you should have nobody to answer to.
    I bet there has never been an aviary/ birdroom containing a few budgies or finches that has had planning permission. And they are up and down the country.

Well none omy dads 20 friends in the town have any planning permission nor do 95% of the people in the country. Does it infringe on my civil liberties and human rights as people on the road keep horses and greyhounds??:confused:

Advertisement