Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDC World Championships 2009 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Agree with this. Lewis has amazing natural ability, he is the kind of person that just picked up a set of darts and could hit everything. Problem he has is upstairs, he is way too cocky for his own good and lets things get to him. He is easy to wind up and until he gets the mental strength to block those things out he won't ever win anything. I think he is improving, the Premier League has really helped him. I don't think he is ready yet though and a Quarter-Final place would be a good tournament for him.
    Spot on analysis. I love watching him though, when he's in full flow he's a joy to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Declan30

Shan Dont think wade will do it.He seems to have lost interest in playing darts.Had a Poor Grand slam of darts even though he did get a 9 dart finish.

Peter Manley as winner Sky would Love that think of the crowd against him and all the fun they would have playing him up.:)

Shan75 wrote: »
    I'd like to see Wade win it.I think he's good enough but the worry is his form hasn't been fantastic this year.I might chance a small wager on him.Currently 10/1 on Betfair.

No chance.Not good enough.Even when he was at his best he choked miserably.Currently 43/1 on Betfair and with good reason.

From an entertainment, in a kind of sick way, point of view Peter Manley would be an appealing winner.Can you imagine the amount of head wrecking he would get through.Won't happen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Declan30 wrote: »
    Peter Manley as winner Sky would Love that think of the crowd against him and all the fun they would have playing him up.:)

Manley definitely plays the 'bad guy' role quite well, but he will always be an 'also run' when it comes to the World Championships.

Before the PDC changed the scoring/rating system for tournaments around the world, Manley would shootin in more tournamnets just to get his points total up. We used to see him in the Spring/Summer in the States shooting steel/plastic tipped tournaments.

During this time he had accumulated enough points to be ranked #1 in the World a few years running, but would only crack the Top Five when it came to the PDC WC every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

nhughes100 wrote: »
    Any predictions for possible upsets, I think there's a few on in the first round.

Rodriguez to beat Scholten, first match, Roland has not had a good year.

Co Stompe to beat Andy Jenkins, Stompe hot off hitting some great darts at a German open against Taylor.

Matt Clark to beat Kevin Painter - Painter always suspect.

Felix McBrearty to beat Barrie Bates. Good win for the Irish

Per Laurson to beat Wes Newton - Wes has gone off the boil completely

John McGowan to beat Chris Mason, again Mason always suspect.

Van Der Rassell to beat Shephard - Kirk used up all his luck last year

Mostly spot on, but i gotta disagree about Mcbrearty beating Bates unfortunately. To much class about the little welshman.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Only one day to go lads, getting excited now. I have all my beer in and I'm ready for a couple of week of darts action! Let's hope for some great matches and some shocks along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Declan30

Yes Indeed Christmas Will Offically Start Tomorrow at 7pm.:D
    Lets hope for a Great Tournamnet

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭pad180

there is a look ahead of the forthcoming 2009 pdc world championship,
    on sky sports 1 tonight at seven ,
    just to wet the lips guys and gals :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Won't belong now, was watching the preview at 7pm (well the Phil Taylor story) when this starts then Christmas starts!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Carrickman wrote: »
    Won't belong now, was watching the preview at 7pm (well the Phil Taylor story) when this starts then Christmas starts!!

Yeah was a little disappointed in the show, it was basically a biography of Phil Taylor! I thought they were going to do a little run through of the players and their form etc. Still was nice to see some of the classic matches again and the show just reinforced my opinion that it should be held in the Circus Tavern and not the Ally Pally!

And I agree, Christmas starts when the darts starts! You can't have a Happy Christmas without some tungsten flinging!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Yeah, dissapointing but he has been the stalwart of finals and classic matches over the years. The programme could have been two hours long and could have included some of the classic semis too instead of clips from the matchplay. Yes it was an amazing finish but it wasn't in the worlds!!

• Advertisement

Finally it's here, day one of the World Championships 2009!!!

Tonight's schedule of play:
    First Round (Preliminary Round games denoted by (P))
    Friday December 19
    7.10pm - Roland Scholten v Carlos Rodriguez
    8.15pm - Warren French v Akihiro Nagakawa (P)
    9.00pm - Wayne Jones v Robert Thornton
    10.00pm - John Part v Bill Davis
    11.00pm - Andy Jenkins v Co Stompe

A couple of interesting looking matches tonight. Carlos Rodriguez has been playing very well on the circuit, he actually won one of the Players Championships recently. Scholten has been very poor this season so I think Rodriguez will go through in this one. I don't know anything about French or Nagakawa but I'm going to go for French to get through :pac:

Wayne Jones against Robert Thornton has the potential to be a very good match. Jones hasn't been in great for recently but he is capable of playing some top class darts and could push Thornton. Thornton is a very good player though and I think he can go far in this tournament and he should end up beating Wayne.

Part against Davis is another interesting one. The American is a good player but he isn't used to the longer format which could be a problem for him. Part is unbeaten at the Ally Pally and I can't see that changing tonight.

Andy Jenkins against Stompe is the match of the nigh for me. A very hard one to call this, when Jenkins is on form he can be very very good and can average over 100, likewise Stompe who was one of the better players on the BDO circuit. This one will be very close but I'm going to go for Jenkins to edge it.

Bring on the Darts :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Just rang sky to get upgraded to sports and movies for Xmas so bring on the darts.. When does the russian woman play or has she been beaten already

shiibata wrote: »
    Just rang sky to get upgraded to sports and movies for Xmas so bring on the darts.. When does the russian woman play or has she been beaten already

She plays at 8:15pm on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,900 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Finally it's here, day one of the World Championships 2009!!!

Tonight's schedule of play:

A couple of interesting looking matches tonight. Carlos Rodriguez has been playing very well on the circuit, he actually won one of the Players Championships recently. Scholten has been very poor this season so I think Rodriguez will go through in this one.

Bring on the Darts :cool:
    I was shocked to see the price of Scholten for this match, he is currently 2/1. I don't know anything about Rodriguez but I do know that Roland has been on a bad run. However playing on tv and all the stuff that goes with it might lift Roland and Rodriguez might get it tough up there tonight. I'd fancy Roland could pull this one off and at a nice price too.

I'm not saying its a certainty by any means, but from what I've heard the experience of the big stage in televised darts is a hugely advantageous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Have just bunged €2 on all the outsiders tonight....could lift €1300 all being well:D

eagle eye wrote: »
    I was shocked to see the price of Scholten for this match, he is currently 2/1. I don't know anything about Rodriguez but I do know that Roland has been on a bad run. However playing on tv and all the stuff that goes with it might lift Roland and Rodriguez might get it tough up there tonight. I'd fancy Roland could pull this one off and at a nice price too.

I'm not saying its a certainty by any means, but from what I've heard the experience of the big stage in televised darts is a hugely advantageous.

Roland Scholten on top form would beat Rodriguez, sadly though Scholten has been awful all year, he averaged 65 in one of his games this season. I hate to say it but he could be suffering froma small form of the dread D disease. Your right that experience on TV does count a lot but I have no idea what type of man Rodriguez is. If he can keep his head he will win. I suppose at the price Scholten is at he might be worth a punt but I won't be puting anything on him :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

Roland Scholten on top form would beat Rodriguez, sadly though Scholten has been awful all year, he averaged 65 in one of his games this season. I hate to say it but he could be suffering froma small form of the dread D disease. Your right that experience on TV does count a lot but I have no idea what type of man Rodriguez is. If he can keep his head he will win. I suppose at the price Scholten is at he might be worth a punt but I won't be puting anything on him :pac:

I think he had a neck or shoulder operation in Nov, His year has been seriously hampered by injury, your right though I would not put a cent on him.

Just saw him on SSN and he has not had the operation but it will be soon, he did say that he is on pain killers though

Well I have a free bet now, backed Scholten at 2/1 and just backed Rodriguez and evens with one set to go, so if Roland wins I make money and if Carlos wins, I end up with no loss. Nice:)

Warren French 5 v 3 Akihiro Nagakawa

What an awful game, worst match I have ever seen on stage. Felt sorry for both players. I'd love to see the averages. Sky even went for a break during the match.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Well the defending World Champion John Part has just been knocked out 3-0 by Davis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

No surprise there Part has been average for years.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Andy Jenkins also knocked out aswell. lost 3-1 to Stompe. All non seed going through tonight.
    Jaysoose wrote: »
    Have just bunged €2 on all the outsiders tonight....could lift €1300 all being well:D

So is that your bet up so, if so fair play to you.

edit:I guess not, I forgot Thornton won his match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

I cant believe BILL DAVIS wrecked my accumulator

BIllix

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Double Top

Anybody know why for the first few games the players were wearing black armbands?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Double Top wrote: »
    Anybody know why for the first few games the players were wearing black armbands?

Its for one of the markers Eddie Cox who passed away during the week aged 51.

Terry Jenkins out aswell this could be just like last yr shocks all over the place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Dam it, Felix did not get going right at all, best of luck to Shane later an old team mate of mine in Dublin from a few years abck.

Ah dam Shane O'connor is out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

ratinakeg wrote: »
    Ah dam Shane O'connor is out

That yank is probably best qualifier i seen yet, if he could finish would have won easier. Come on the Grubber later:D

I don't know why but I fancy James Wade to win it again this year. Even after Taylors performance today.

• Advertisement

Yesterdays results:
    Dennis Smith 3-1 Terry Jenkins
    Shi Yongsheng 6-4 Hannes Schnier (P)
    Kevin Painter 3-2 Matt Clark
    Dennis Priestley 3-0 Warren French
    Barrie Bates 3-0 Felix McBrearty

Evening Session
    Alan Tabern 3-0 Steve Beaton
    David Fatum 6-4 Shane O'Connor (P)
    Michael van Gerwen 3-1 Darin Young
    Phil Taylor 3-0 Steve Grubb
    Kevin McDine 3-1 Alex Roy

Terry Jenkins losing was a big surprise. I cant stand watching Dennis Smith playing so very disappointed that he got through :pac: The Painter match was excellent, pure entertainment.

Disappointed O Connor lost, he was very unlucky with the draw he got, he would have beaten any of the other qualifiers!

Todays matches:
    Sunday December 21
    1.10pm - Mark Walsh v Jamie Caven
    2.15pm - Charles Losper v Sudesh Fitzgerald (P)
    3.00pm - Mark Dudbridge v Nick Fullwell
    4.00pm - Wes Newton v Per Laursen
    5.00pm - Denis Ovens v Steve Maish

7.10pm - Andy Hamilton v Michael Barnard
    8.15pm - Remco van Eijden v Anastasia Dobromyslova (P)
    9.00pm - Wayne Mardle v Fatum/O'Connor
    10.00pm - Raymond van Barneveld v Mark Stephenson
    11.00pm - Peter Manley v Mensur Suljovic

Advertisement