Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDC World Championships 2009 Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

For anybody who is stuck in work and wants to watch the darts:
    http://www.justin.tv/uggla

Just keep the volume down low :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

ratinakeg wrote: »
    12.40pm - Andy Smith v Tony Ayres

Come On Pie Man, You have to like this guy!

Yeah met him a few times, top lad! Lost the first set but looking better now. Come on the Pie Man!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

2-2 now, Tony Ayres is suprising me, good throwing from both players. Good game.

2-2 now, Tony Ayres is suprising me, good throwing from both players. Good game.

Finishes 3-2 to Ayres. You have to hand it to him, he played some good stuff and deserved his win. Great double double top from the Pie man at the end but it wasn't enough. Disappointed for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Anyone read the scum today? (by the way I don't, was text onto me by a mate) ;)

James Wade is supposedly now taking Helen Chamberlain up the oche. Nice. :pac: *or should that be the other way round.

• Advertisement

Kazooie wrote: »
    Anyone read the scum today? (by the way I don't, was text onto me by a mate) ;)

James Wade is supposedly now taking Helen Chamberlain up the oche. Nice. :pac: *or should that be the other way round.

Heard that the other day, fair play to him.

Yeah heard that myself, he could do much worse than Helen!

Some performance by Nicholson so far. I thought he would win but didn't think he would play this well. Gray hasn't won a leg yet. Lewis has some game on his hand in the next round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Declan30

Nicholson Could go make a big impact it.I think he will beat Lewis as he looked to lose interest during his game last night.

Looking forward to seeing wade tonight in action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Its So Easy

What do people think of the finnish lad Kantele ? He's one set up on Ronnie Baxter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Waiting on Losper at 4/1 to get a treble up!!! worth €100 if he wins...

Bit of an ask ut i reckon he is better than a 4/1 shot based on the improvement he has made since last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

What do people think of the finnish lad Kantele ? He's one set up on Ronnie Baxter.

he was quality at finishing his doubles (5/6 i think it was at one stage) and thats the reason as i think baxter was still settling down a bit and it caught him with surprise. In most of those legs baxter had a chance at finishing him but never and Kantele was getting some wicked 120+ finishes (because of his bad average it could be said that baxter often had 1st shot to finish)

Baxter really stepped up the class afterwards though, shame as after one set i seen a wee chance for Kantele and put a couple of quid on and then baxter came out and just slapped him left right and centre :) C'est la vie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Was seriously impressed with osbourne even if he did scupper my bet, serious finishing all match with multiple 3 figure checkouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Shan75

Wade won't get away with that against one of the better players.He took ages to find anything approaching an acceptable standard for him.However he did show some flashes of his class, particularly in the third set and with some of his checkouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Declan30

Osbourne 167 checkout very impressive. Great worlds so far lots of players showing good form lets hope it will last.
    Wade Play Eccles Next think he will get passed Him.

7.10pm - Ronnie Baxter v Kantele
    8.15pm - Colin Osborne v Losper
    9.15pm - James Wade v Brendan Dolan
    10.15pm - Vincent van der Voort v Nandor Bezzeg

Jaysus Bristow was unlucky with his bet, his bet was all favourites to win 3-0 at 27/1 but it was let down by the first set going to Kantele in that first game.

On another issue the fans have improved over the last few days and it finally seems like the true darts fans have arrived.

Some great matches today so far, Dennis Smith put in a great comeback to win his match after being 3-0 down against Kevin McDine. McDine kind of last his way but Smith still had to do the business and he did. He hit an unbelievable amount of 140's and deserved his win, he throws so slow though!

Stompe was brilliant against Tabern, he won 4-1 with a 96 average and has a real chance of making an impression. The crowd love him as well and he is definitely a dark horse for the tournament.

Painter and Rodriguez playing at the moment and after a poor start where Painter went 2-0 in sets up Rodriguez is plaing well now and fighting back and has made it 2-1, hopefully it will be another good match.

I am really looking forward to tonights matches, Suljovic against Dudbridge is on first then two excellent games. First up Taylor against Mighy Mike Van Gerwen. I would love of MvG could beat him and he definitely has the ability. the bookies have MvG at 8/1 which is crazy odds that I couldnt turn down. Hopefully it will be another classic. Mardle against Thornton is on last and is another that is so hard to call. If Mardle has his darts head on and not his entertainment one then he has a huge chance but Thornton would be my favourite. Both of those could go all the way.

Great day of darts, lying on the sofa recovering from last night :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

taylor looked in total control ,but the game so far was mardle and thornton .hope 5 o can bring this game to painter ;i do fancie the hammer tommra

Fantastic match between Mardle and Thornton. Real quality from both players and by far the game of the tournament. 180's aplenty and just great darts all round. Mardle looks in great form and could be a real challenger.

I have to say though that the crowd were an absolute disgrace booing Thornton. It was embarrassing and totally out of order. those pr1cks should be thrown out and never allowed to a darts tournament again!!

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I have to say though that the crowd were an absolute disgrace booing Thornton. It was embarrassing and totally out of order. those pr1cks should be thrown out and never allowed to a darts tournament again!!

You hit the nail on the head there, really got pissed off with these Muppet's even though I was up for Mardle, this was also happening during the Taylor match when Van Gerwen was throwing, they were terrible yet again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

You hit the nail on the head there, really got pissed off with these Muppet's even though I was up for Mardle, this was also happening during the Taylor match when Van Gerwen was throwing, they were terrible yet again.
    its not good enough ,its doing noting for the sport .too much drink me thinks .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

In fairness, there's only a certain amount that can be done though. From being at previous PDC events, security are very tight and professional. They'll give one warning and then eject trouble-makers, no questions asked. That's all you can do to tackle the problem on a practical scale.

I thought the interview Mardle gave afterwards, where he said that his fans over-stepped the line, was extremely classy and a mark of his personality. Hopefully it'll help matters in the long run.

Taylor's going to have to do it the hard way if he does it again. Painter next, then (hopefully) a Mardle rematch (esp if Mardle's form holds, though Stompe would still make for an excellent contest) and Mervyn King looks the most likely to face him in the final.

Whatever happens, it's shaping up to be a great climax! Lewis/Nicholson tomorrow!

Yesterdas results:
    Afternoon Session
    Barrie Bates 4-2 Bill Davis
    Ronnie Baxter 4-1 Denis Ovens
    Andy Hamilton 4-2 Tony Ayres
    Evening Session (7pm)
    Jelle Klaasen 4-0 Jan van der Rassel
    Raymond van Barneveld 4-1 Wes Newton
    Mervyn King 4-2 Mark Walsh

No real surprises yesterday. Fantastic display from Barney and from Klaasen. Both look very good. King struggled at the start then looked grea near the end of his match. Baxter also looked handy whereas Hamilton struggled but I suppose it's all about winning through.

Todays matches:

Second Round - Monday
    Adrian Lewis v Paul Nicholson
    Dennis Priestley v John MaGowan
    Colin Osborne v Vincent van der Voort

Evening Session
    7.10pm - James Wade v Tony Eccles
    Third Round
    8.30pm - Phil Taylor v Kevin Painter
    9.50pm - Barrie Bates v Mark Dudbridge

Great game so far between Lewis and Nicholson, it's gone to the deciding set. Crowd acting the pr1ck again booing nicholson when he is throwing. Out of order and can't be blamed on drink because it's the first game on. Looking forward to priestley againstMr. Magoo and hopefully Painter and can give Taylor a game. Should be a good day of darts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Great game between lewis and nicholson(spitting image of ex gaa player brendan devenney of Donegal) alright, match of the tourney so far i reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

shiibata wrote: »
    Great game between lewis and nicholson(spitting image of ex gaa player brendan devenney of Donegal) alright, match of the tourney so far i reckon

Yep I agree. Found myself shouting big time for Nicholson after he got constantly booed and jeered again.

Great match!

Trilla wrote: »
    Yep I agree. Found myself shouting big time for Nicholson after he got constantly booed and jeered again.

Great match!

Agree with this. Fantastic match and I really wanted Nicholson to win even though it wasn't lewis's fault that the crowd were against him. Nicholson could be a real threat in this competition because he is a real fighter and never gives in.

Priestley cruising past MaGowan so far.

Nicholson in fairness slightly brings some of this on himself with his attitude, fans don't forget as when he was playing in The Grand Slam of Darts his behavior was appalling really and was affecting his opponents game. Great player though who has a great future ahead of him.

Painter 1-0 up, really impressed by him so far. Come on Painter!

Damn you Taylor, Please God let somebody else win it this time. He is just too good.

Bates is destroying Dudbridge at the moment

Wade struggled in beating eccles 4-2 and really it could have and should have gone to a deciding set. he really has to up his game if he is to get anywhere in this tournament. Painter had a great start against Taylor averaging 114 in winning the first set but then missed doubles let him down. You just can't do that against Taylor and he was punished for it. He did score well though and had a real chance of pushing Taylor who now plays the winner of Stompe and Mardle. That will not be an easy game for him.

Bates destroyed Dudbridge 4-0 in a match where Dudbridge just never showed up. Huge disappointment for Dudbridge who played so well in his last match. have to hand it to Bates though who played very well and deserved his win. It looks like he is having real fun up there and is just taking each game as it comes. It has worked well so far.

Looking forward to tomorrow, some huge matches and some excellent players on show. Should be brilliant. hope none of you lads are stuck in work! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Looking forward to tomorrow, some huge matches and some excellent players on show. Should be brilliant. hope none of you lads are stuck in work! :)

:( Not stuck at work today but unfortunately gonna be stuck at a wedding, what a time of year to get married, no consideration at all thought of for us dart fanatics:p

Advertisement