Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PDC World Championships 2009 Thread

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Would like to see Gary Anderson and Adrian Lewis given the 2 wild cards...........the premier league really suits lewis as its a quick format and therefore he doesnt need to concentrate for to long........and also he is very entertaining to watch imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HITMANHEALY

I agree MBC

Lewis should one for definite.

I think the last one will go to Priestley

But IF Anderson does make the move if he wins the BDO - He should be given it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

I agree MBC

Lewis should one for definite.

I think the last one will go to Priestley

But IF Anderson does make the move if he wins the BDO - He should be given it.

Priestly:eek: As long as he is on last to help me go to sleep for the night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

I hear wednesday is the day they are announcing the wildcards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

is a new thread in order for this league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Really dont get this "entertainer" tag myself, watching his 4 chins wobble is a but funny i suppose.

He comes out jumping all over the place, waving palm trees and bananas, then suddenly when he goes a set or two down ricky gervais wouldn't be able to make him crack a smile.:mad:

Ah the crowd love his whole demeanor, when he 180's and is playing well he comes back and salutes the crowd, between the walkon song, the shirts, the palm tree's and the banter he's interesting if nothing else

compared to the others, he's mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I really don't get the Wayne Mardle hate here. It just seems like people hate on him because the crowds love him so it seems 'novel' to do so. That's not me having a go, I just wonder if anyone can explain where this comes from?

To me, he's great. Gets the crowd going crazy, which is key in darts. You can watch a fantastic match of darts on TV, but I find that if the crowd isn't into it I just won't enjoy it as much as it perhaps deserves. With Mardle they ALWAYS care. He's one of those guys where, win or lose, it's ALWAYS dramatic and entertaining. And his match with Taylor from last year's Championship remains one of my favourites of all-time.

I can see why people wouldn't neccessarily LOVE the guy, but to outright hate him is something that baffles me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

His lose against Co Stompe was fairly uneventful, I've seen him lose twice in the first round(Vegas & Grand Prix) and they were tame enough too. I really don't get the great entertainer thing, the best match he was in was when he beat Taylor in last years worlds, aside from that I can't think of one "classic" that Mardle has been in. I think it's fairer to say he has a great gimmick rather then being a great darts entertainer. He wears an Hawaiian shirt, does a little dance and the crowd think he's the best thing since Elvis. Then goes up and throws a heap of treble 5's.

Compare this to the amount of classics Barney has been in. The crowd get into great matches, when Mardle lost the first few sets to Stompe the entire Ally Pally was silent save for a few "play up Stompe" chants. The type of person that goes to dance, sing, drink, dress up and basically do anything besides look at the darts would be a Mardle fanatic.

Like how many people here were honestly looking forward to Barney - Baxter yet it turned out to be the match of the Championship with the crowd baying on every dart. Call me old fashioned if you will but that's why I got into darts and what still keeps me into darts.

• Advertisement

You can easily do that for any player. For you to compare Mardle/Stompe to Barney/Baxter, I can compare Mardle/Thornton to Barney/Taylor...the whole match lost its steam once Barney fell a few sets behind. All players have great, entertaining games and poor, lifeless one's.

I think he's a great sportsman. As great as Taylor is, it's no fun watching him demolish people. It's downright boring at times. How many of us just wanted Stompe to just walk off stage and forfeit the match by the end of their quarter-final?

With Mardle (and the likes of Adrian Lewis, Terry Jenkins and Colin Lloyd) his inconsistency makes things entertaining. He wouldn't be in the Top 10 in the world if he didn't have the darts to match, so that pretty much kills any argument that says 'The only reason he's up there is cus Sky like him'.

He goes out and does his gimmick. If you don't like it, that's fair enough there's hundreds of other players for you to get behind (or just root for his opponent!). But to try and insinuate that he's a poor player who just hits treble 5's is absolutely ridiculous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Any word on who got the 2 Wildcards for the premier league?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

No nothing yet, I'd say it won't be until next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

leggo wrote: »
    You can easily do that for any player. For you to compare Mardle/Stompe to Barney/Baxter, I can compare Mardle/Thornton to Barney/Taylor...the whole match lost its steam once Barney fell a few sets behind. All players have great, entertaining games and poor, lifeless one's.

I think he's a great sportsman. As great as Taylor is, it's no fun watching him demolish people. It's downright boring at times. How many of us just wanted Stompe to just walk off stage and forfeit the match by the end of their quarter-final?

With Mardle (and the likes of Adrian Lewis, Terry Jenkins and Colin Lloyd) his inconsistency makes things entertaining. He wouldn't be in the Top 10 in the world if he didn't have the darts to match, so that pretty much kills any argument that says 'The only reason he's up there is cus Sky like him'.

He goes out and does his gimmick. If you don't like it, that's fair enough there's hundreds of other players for you to get behind (or just root for his opponent!). But to try and insinuate that he's a poor player who just hits treble 5's is absolutely ridiculous!

He's not a bad player by any matter of means, it just seems that he (and sky) seem to think he's better than he actually is. Every year in the PL he plays horribly, usually rock bottom apart from the mini renaissance he had mid-league last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭whaaames

since both the pdc and sky have a pick id say mardle will be sky sports pick, simply for the crowd pull, as for the pdc pick i just dunno, maybe adey lewis, he always has epic matches (although his dire matches are really dire)...

yea i'd say mardle and lewis...

stompe maybe...anyone...?

Doubt it. Picking Stompe would be a massive insult to those who've worked their arses off on the circuit all year, and he doesn't bring enough positives to justify it (yet). I'd love to see another Dutchman in there though. Sky would love Van Gerwen to get his act together so they could pick him, the rankings say van der Voort but I think Klaasen would be a good choice.

• Advertisement

Well the PDC dinner was last night and the picks were annoucned a day or 2 after so i imagine the picks will be out soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

They must be waiting for Anderson to win or get knocked out of Lakside then so;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

leggo wrote: »

He hits treble 5's with more regularity then any other player in the top 10, fact. I never said he was a poor player by the way. Rather his gimmick has taken over from his actual ability. I've nothing against Mardle and had a smile a mile wide when he finally beat Taylor in 07 but you have to admit there is a severe overhype of the man. Jamie Harvey had a good walk-on too you have to remember

I also asked how many classics has he been involved in to be known as the great entertainer. I make it one, compare that to Barney - Most times he's played Taylor have been epics, the past two finals being very much exceptions, Barney V Lewis have had 4 amazing matches, 2 each in the matchplay and grand prix(both of which I was at!) his bdo games against Klassen and Fordham were amazing tv, add into that the desert classic final against Part and his match against Baxter. Also there's the little fact that he's never actually won a major.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

nhughes100 wrote: »
    I also asked how many classics has he been involved in to be known as the great entertainer. I make it one,

You are forgetting the absolutely brilliant Semi-Final between Taylor and Mardle in '06 where Taylor took a 3-0 lead and Mardle fought back to lead 4-3. Taylor went ahead 5-4, Mardle made it 5-5 and Taylor just beat him in the final set. I was at that match and it was fantastic darts and very entertaining. When Mardle is on form he can be very entertaining, he can hit a lot of 180's and the fact he hits 5's makes him more entertaining because you just never know what's going to happen with him. Yeah he is hyped up way too much but he is an entertaining player.

That said I don't think he should be in the Premier League, the places should go to people who haven't been in it before.

Advertisement