Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Main Street

Options
  • 08-12-2008 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know whats happening with the area on South Main Street where Sir Henrys was? I think its a terrible eyesore (like a lot of areas in Cork City centre)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭rebs23

Does anyone know whats happening with the area on South Main Street where Sir Henrys was? I think its a terrible eyesore (like a lot of areas in Cork City centre)
    Is this a wind up?
    To answer your question, It is the site of the new city libary and associated commercial and housing development. Passed through An Bord Pleannala last week, however given the current downturn, we'll see.
    As for your comment about the city centre, I couldn't disagree more. Patrick St Irish Shopping Street of the year 2 years in a row. Two major shopping centre developments in the city centre, etc. Think the place has improved greatly over the last number of years.
    In comparison to other city centre's at least we are retaining our city centre core as the main centre of shopping, cultural and leisure centre. Some places in Ireland have just deserted their city centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

rebs23 wrote: »
    Is this a wind up?
    To answer your question, It is the site of the new city libary and associated commercial and housing development, however given the current downturn, we'll see.
    As for your comment about the city centre, I couldn't disagree more. Patrick St Irish Shopping Street of the year 2 years in a row. Two major shopping centre developments in the city centre, etc. Think the place has improved greatly over the last number of years.
    In comparison to other city centre's at least we are retaining our city centre core as the main centre of shopping, cultural and leisure centre. Some places in Ireland have just deserted their city centres.

The site of the new library..great thanks...thats all you had to say..how is that a wind up??

I am sorry to say but the state of Cork City centre saddens me. Its like the last 10 years havent happened. Its just the sheer number of derelict buildings. For example:

a. The street (cant think of its name) from the Mercy Hospital down to
    back of Courthouse- terrible state
    b. At the bottom of South Mall around by Parnell Street- some buildings are in a terrible state;
    c. Bottom of Oliver Plunkett Street (toward Bus Station)
    d. Around by Kyrls Quay and Lavitts quay.
    e. Bottom of Barrack Street.
    f. Grand Parade especially by the footbridge and I know there is planning to develop the cinema which was recenly refused
    g. North Main Street up towards around the Bridewell..looks like parts of Belgrade that I was in last year..at least they had NATO bombing them.

As for Patricks Street, could be anywhere with the usual range of UK high street stores. I appreciate there is little that can be done about that and thats just economics.

I know Cork felt very sorry for itself after Dunlop and Ford closing but its time to get its head of its ass and become a real city. Perhaps there are plans afoot to develop these areas but what the hell has taken so long??

For the record I am born and raised in Cork and love it but I have travelled to many cities and alot of Cork has stood still and looks abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

It's will be a huge complex incorporating the whole block.

Hear are some renders...

And hear are some elevations...

Thats great. The area really needs it.

• Advertisement

The site of the new library..great thanks...thats all you had to say..how is that a wind up??

I am sorry to say but the state of Cork City centre saddens me. Its like the last 10 years havent happened. Its just the sheer number of derelict buildings. For example:

back of Courthouse- terrible state
    b. At the bottom of South Mall around by Parnell Street- some buildings are in a terrible state;
    c. Bottom of Oliver Plunkett Street (toward Bus Station)
    d. Around by Kyrls Quay and Lavitts quay.
    e. Bottom of Barrack Street.
    f. Grand Parade especially by the footbridge and I know there is planning to develop the cinema which was recenly refused
    g. North Main Street up towards around the Bridewell..looks like parts of Belgrade that I was in last year..at least they had NATO bombing them.

As for Patricks Street, could be anywhere with the usual range of UK high street stores. I appreciate there is little that can be done about that and thats just economics.

I know Cork felt very sorry for itself after Dunlop and Ford closing but its time to get its head of its ass and become a real city. Perhaps there are plans afoot to develop these areas but what the hell has taken so long??

For the record I am born and raised in Cork and love it but I have travelled to many cities and alot of Cork has stood still and looks abandoned.

As for thanks thats all you had to say, well all you had to do was ask the question about the site, why make the comment about a lot of areas in the city centre looking like an eyesore, which is a big generalisation and just not true.

Go to any Irish City Centre and you could compile lists of derelict buildings/areas like above. I would agree that a lot of the tax driven incentive apartment blocks that were built in other centres didn't happen in Cork but is that a bad thing? Did you not notice the number of new developments happening in the city centre? Remember Cork is a relatively small city.

As for feeling sorry for itself, I haven't got that impression in a long time. It has really taken off and smartened itself up, new streetscapes, etc. Came back myself to Cork after a few years away but I think the place is a really cool place now, lots happening and more to come. Certainly for a city of around 250,000 people it packs a hell of a punch culturally/business wise/sporting endeavours, etc.

As for your comment about Patrick St being anywhere, don't be silly. Name another Irish City whose main street winds it way along. Just like the rest of Cork the river splitting in two, a tunnel winding its way through the northside, etc all unique and different. Thats the thing about Cork its uniqueness and quirkiness in architectural terms, setting, etc. It always seems to do well in travel guides, etc but tends to attract a lot of adverse comments from other Irish people. Europeans and the Brits tend to love the place but the rest of Ireland just ...??

Anyway
    back of Courthouse- terrible state. It is but its a small street.

b. At the bottom of South Mall around by Parnell Street- some buildings are in a terrible state; A new Hotel has just been built there. How long is it sonce you visited here?
    c. Bottom of Oliver Plunkett Street (toward Bus Station) I presume that is the same block as above, again a lot of refurb, etc. Only one building that is derelict, since knocked.
    d. Around by Kyrls Quay and Lavitts quay. Lavitts Quay, Again a new buildings here?? What are you talking about? Kyrls Quay application fro new hotel going through process.
    e. Bottom of Barrack Street. - It will always be Barrack St and needs no sanitisation. Have you seen the works around the Fort here?
    f. Grand Parade especially by the footbridge and I know there is planning to develop the cinema which was recenly refused. - Grand Parade by the foothbridge, new Boardwalk and Park? Generally Grand Parade new street scape, lighting, etc. Admittedly the former Sir Henrys site and cinema look desperate but hopefully fingers crossed that the developments that got the go ahead will proceed.
    g. North Main Street up towards around the Bridewell..looks like parts of Belgrade that I was in last year..at least they had NATO bombing them. - Jesus and there was I thinking Belgrade was a war zone. Bridewell on North Main st??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

And hear are some elevations...

This is something that annoys me. Why build modern looking building next to old ones. I dont think they fit right. Not next to each other anyway. You can have a modern building inside and an old style facade. I think Anglo-Irish and the market traven are the perfect mis-fits. Both building are individually fine but next to each other they look terrible. I know developers are in the business to make money but a little more care should be taken by the city council. To make sure the city fits together properly. They should definately do something with the capital cinema. Its been lying empty for years. Surely they could re-open it for awhile instead of leaving it empty.

Dob74 wrote: »
    Why build modern looking building next to old ones.

:rolleyes:

The 'old' buildings were modern when they were built.

Edit: Time-lines in architecture show the evolution of our city and are an honest reflection of present day building technology and taste.
    Imagine if a mock Georgian block was built there? It would be dishonest (pretending to be something its not), tacky looking and a disgrace to the city's fine history.

As for thanks thats all you had to say, well all you had to do was ask the question about the site, why make the comment about a lot of areas in the city centre looking like an eyesore, which is a big generalisation and just not true.

Go to any Irish City Centre and you could compile lists of derelict buildings/areas like above. I would agree that a lot of the tax driven incentive apartment blocks that were built in other centres didn't happen in Cork but is that a bad thing? Did you not notice the number of new developments happening in the city centre? Remember Cork is a relatively small city.

As for feeling sorry for itself, I haven't got that impression in a long time. It has really taken off and smartened itself up, new streetscapes, etc. Came back myself to Cork after a few years away but I think the place is a really cool place now, lots happening and more to come. Certainly for a city of around 250,000 people it packs a hell of a punch culturally/business wise/sporting endeavours, etc.

As for your comment about Patrick St being anywhere, don't be silly. Name another Irish City whose main street winds it way along. Just like the rest of Cork the river splitting in two, a tunnel winding its way through the northside, etc all unique and different. Thats the thing about Cork its uniqueness and quirkiness in architectural terms, setting, etc. It always seems to do well in travel guides, etc but tends to attract a lot of adverse comments from other Irish people. Europeans and the Brits tend to love the place but the rest of Ireland just ...??

Anyway
    back of Courthouse- terrible state. It is but its a small street.

b. At the bottom of South Mall around by Parnell Street- some buildings are in a terrible state; A new Hotel has just been built there. How long is it sonce you visited here?
    c. Bottom of Oliver Plunkett Street (toward Bus Station) I presume that is the same block as above, again a lot of refurb, etc. Only one building that is derelict, since knocked.
    d. Around by Kyrls Quay and Lavitts quay. Lavitts Quay, Again a new buildings here?? What are you talking about? Kyrls Quay application fro new hotel going through process.
    e. Bottom of Barrack Street. - It will always be Barrack St and needs no sanitisation. Have you seen the works around the Fort here?
    f. Grand Parade especially by the footbridge and I know there is planning to develop the cinema which was recenly refused. - Grand Parade by the foothbridge, new Boardwalk and Park? Generally Grand Parade new street scape, lighting, etc. Admittedly the former Sir Henrys site and cinema look desperate but hopefully fingers crossed that the developments that got the go ahead will proceed.
    g. North Main Street up towards around the Bridewell..looks like parts of Belgrade that I was in last year..at least they had NATO bombing them. - Jesus and there was I thinking Belgrade was a war zone. Bridewell on North Main st??

I think alot of areas around the the centre are an eyesore. It's my opinion as opposed to a generalisation. I never said that there is nothing nice or good in Cork city..there is plenty but I feel there is an awful lot yet to do.

- The Elyssian
    - The Courthouse
    - Cork Gaol
    - St Finbarr Cathedral
    - UCC
    - South Mall generally
    - South Terrace (although it could be spruced up a bit)
    - The Bodega
    - Bridge Street
    - The Clarion
    - Crawford Art Gallery
    - Paul Street Area

There is plenty of decent buildings in Cork

Down by the Mercy a small street? its quiet a busy street and being small is no excuse.

What hotel on Parnell Street? I see some sort of renovations but a hotel!!

In relation to the Bridewell/North Main Street..dont be so pedantic..you know well the area I'm talking about.

I love Cork I want to be proud of it and to show it off. This isnt some blanket rant. I want Cork to prosper and to be a beautiful city. My friend from England loves the art-deco style of the Savoy on Patricks Street. Cork is very accessible thats one of the great things about it...but my fundamental point is that progress/development/regeneration seems to happen very very slowly in Cork. And I see you agree with my original point that the Sir Henrys Area looks desperate but hopefully the library will take off.

Do you work for the Board Failte by any chance:p

• Registered Users Posts: 31,693 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

:rolleyes:

The 'old' buildings were modern when they were built.

Edit: Time-lines in architecture show the evolution of our city and are an honest reflection of present day building technology and taste.
    Imagine if a mock Georgian block was built there? It would be dishonest (pretending to be something its not), tacky looking and a disgrace to the city's fine history.

indeed, like the "wedding cake" in Rome. Huge, magnificent classic looking building, but looked at by the locals as tacky and pointless, given that its not much more then a hundred years old. More just like a knock off compared to the originals from centuries before.

I do agree that care should be taken to mix the old and the new tastefully though.

• Advertisement

I love Cork I want to be proud of it and to show it off. This isnt some blanket rant. I want Cork to prosper and to be a beautiful city. My friend from England loves the art-deco style of the Savoy on Patricks Street. Cork is very accessible thats one of the great things about it...but my fundamental point is that progress/development/regeneration seems to happen very very slowly in Cork. And I see you agree with my original point that the Sir Henrys Area looks desperate but hopefully the library will take off.

Do you work for the Board Failte by any chance:p

Fair enough, maybe I had Mondayitus, but in my work I hear a lot of tired generalisations made about Cork from people "up the country" that haven't visited in years.

I take your point that development/regeneration has happened a lot slower in Cork up until the last few years but I am not so sure that is going to be a bad thing. The City Council chose not to make a lot of the city Section 23 and there was no equivalent of say a Docklands Development Authority with the associated tax incentives so Cork lost out on significant tax incentive led Development that happened elsewhere.

Where there has been a lot of Section 23 or other types of tax led development it has led to a lot of crappy development in other cities. I know of one area that received significant Section 23 type relief in Limerick and there are now calls for it to be regenerated again less than 10 years later!

I honestly think we'll benefit (are benefitting as a result) but a lot or regeneration has happened already. I honestly think for instance the streetscape in Cork is excellent.
    Unfortunately the recession may halt a lot of the plans for redevelopment and we may see even more derelict buildings all over our cities just when things were beginning to look a lot smarter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

All cities have areas that need improvement, no need to jump down the OP's throat. Now listing the Elysian as something that doesn't need improvement, that's something throat-jumping-down worthy!

I'm not mad about those renders, the Library looks out of context, particularly next to dinky liitle Hillbillys.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

I'm not mad about those renders, the Library looks out of context, particularly next to dinky liitle Hillbillys.

adam

I hear ya. That struck me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

It always seems to do well in travel guides, etc but tends to attract a lot of adverse comments from other Irish people. Europeans and the Brits tend to love the place but the rest of Ireland just ...??
    I"m from Limerick but living in Cork now and i love the place, and the people. There's something unique about it, it has a certain quaintness about it. I'm not aware that other Irish people from outside Cork had much bad things to say about the place?

And while we're on a thread about South Main St, i know the security lads in Beamish will have fun looking back on their cameras - twice in the last 2 weeks i've come across couples having sex in the open just inside the wall of the brewery, get a room people!!

Advertisement