Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who to get?

Options
  • 08-12-2008 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Just connected my phone line with eirscum, but which is the best option now for broadband?
    I live in Harolds cross road which means I am connected to the Terenure exchange.
    What would be best to go for? BT/UTV/Smart and so on, who offers the best/cheapest broadband?
    I have heard that gaming with eirscum is pretty crappy and since gaming is my main reason for getting BB I would like a good ping
    Thanks in advance for advice:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Smart are the best in my opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If Smart are available, go for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 SocialWarfare

OK thanks guys, I will check availabity in the morning ;)
    I was going to go for NTL/Chorus but its unavailable here yet cable tv is :(

Damn just checked online
    We're sorry but it appears Smart Broadband is not currently available in your area. (TERENURE exchange)

We are happy to contact you once service becomes available. Your phone number and details are already in our database and you will be contacted when our service is available in your area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

Just connected my phone line with eirscum, but which is the best option now for broadband?
    I live in Harolds cross road which means I am connected to the Terenure exchange.
    What would be best to go for? BT/UTV/Smart and so on, who offers the best/cheapest broadband?
    I have heard that gaming with eirscum is pretty crappy and since gaming is my main reason for getting BB I would like a good ping
    Thanks in advance for advice:)

Eirscum?,Im sure EIRCOM will be fine without your business,we wouldnt someone with an ignorant outlook like yours part of our network,good luck with whichever company you choose,but by the way Eircom is by far the best company in regards BB as they maintain the lines,and any problems you encounter will be dealt with by your choosen company who inturn will deal with Eircom,yeah smart are very fast,but alot of hassle to avail of there 'fast' service,transfering a standard PSTN line into an LLU line,losing your origianl phone number and very tricky switching back to Eircom or any other PSTN based line company,if you choose to do so,lets not forget they could go bankrupt tommorow it happened 3 years ago,Eircoms busiest ever day

• Registered Users Posts: 36 SocialWarfare

Thanks for your enlightening comment!!
    The privatization of EIRSCUM only led to Ireland being 10yrs behind every other country when it come to BB, they hardly did anyone any favours with their crap service!
    Though luckily for me Digiweb phoned this morning offering a far superior service
    Goodbye EIRSCUM:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Irlbo wrote: »
    Eirscum?,Im sure EIRCOM will be fine without your business,we wouldnt someone with an ignorant outlook like yours part of our network,good luck with whichever company you choose,but by the way Eircom is by far the best company in regards BB as they maintain the lines,and any problems you encounter will be dealt with by your choosen company who inturn will deal with Eircom,yeah smart are very fast,but alot of hassle to avail of there 'fast' service,transfering a standard PSTN line into an LLU line,losing your origianl phone number and very tricky switching back to Eircom or any other PSTN based line company,if you choose to do so,lets not forget they could go bankrupt tommorow it happened 3 years ago,Eircoms busiest ever day

I thought every day was 'Eircom's busiest day' Try and get someone in there to answer a phone and you'll be doing well. Also Im sure that your fault would be fixed quicker with alot of the other companies.

Also it is unfair to use Smart's lack of forward thinking as an example that every other telecoms company will go bust. I haven't sen to many others go like this? Thanks god the telecom's industry has such great competitiors so people have freedom of choice. A choice to avoid Eircom for so many reasons - saving money being the top of my list

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Über Micro PCs

yeah smart are very fast,but alot of hassle to avail of there 'fast' service,transfering a standard PSTN line into an LLU line,losing your origianl phone number and very tricky switching back to Eircom
    Wonder why that is?
    Could it be Eircon dragging their heels about changing the numbers over?The very thing that makes it take so long to change provider.
    Would probably take a couple of days to get hooked up with Smart if it wasnt for Eircon taking forever to sort things out on their end(something I have been told by various ISPs and techs).
    if you choose to do so,lets not forget they could go bankrupt tommorow it happened 3 years ago,Eircoms busiest ever day
    They went bankrupt because Eircon cut them off over the sake of a few million.
    A selfish and sly move that caused alot of problems for Irish users/businesses and for what?
    Maybe so Eircon could get some customers back?
    They made special efforts to get all theses victims back with them,even arriving on peoples doorsteps ready to lend a helping hand.When they themselves caused the problem!
    This action was described as a "disgrace" by some politicians in Ireland at the time.
    You will of course say I'm putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5 but why should anyone listen to a biased opinion such as yours.

Wouldnt have bothered replying except your post was as far as IM concerned nothing but Eircom SPAM! :p

Saving money doesnt garuntee you a good service,you know the old saying 'you get what you pay for',90% of customers who leave Eircom come back,due to poor customer service and poor servce from other companies

Wonder why that is?
    Could it be Eircon dragging their heels about changing the numbers over?The very thing that makes it take so long to change provider.
    Would probably take a couple of days to get hooked up with Smart if it wasnt for Eircon taking forever to sort things out on their end(something I have been told by various ISPs and techs).
    No believe it or not its Smarts problem,nothing to do with Eircom,they use there own technology in Eircom exchanges and lines to provide their own broadband,changing the numbers so they can only be with smart,if you want to change back to Eircom or any other standard PSTN line,Eircom need Smarts permission so Eircom technicians can touch smarts own equipment,and the customer needs sign whats called a gloom form to request the line be moved back to PSTN,therefore getting back original number(not gaunteed)They went bankrupt because Eircon cut them off over the sake of a few million.
    A selfish and sly move that caused alot of problems for Irish users/businesses and for what?
    Maybe so Eircon could get some customers back?
    They made special efforts to get all theses victims back with them,even arriving on peoples doorsteps ready to lend a helping hand.When they themselves caused the problem!
    This action was described as a "disgrace" by some politicians in Ireland at the time.
    You will of course say I'm putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5 but why should anyone listen to a biased opinion such as yours.

Wouldnt have bothered replying except your post was as far as IM concerned nothing but Eircom SPAM! :p

No believe it or not its Smarts problem,nothing to do with Eircom,they use there own technology in Eircom exchanges and lines to provide their own broadband,changing the numbers so they can only be with smart,if you want to change back to Eircom or any other standard PSTN line,Eircom need Smarts permission so Eircom technicians can touch smarts own equipment,and the customer needs sign whats called a gloom form to request the line be moved back to PSTN,therefore getting back original number(not gaunteed)Only Millions???,you owe money,you pay it back,you get a deadline,and if its not paid by that deadline,you get cut off,whats the problem its the way of the world,its Smarts fault they went bankrupt and left thousands in the lurch not Eircom,its not Eircoms problem that people who choose to go to smart ending up in the sh*t,Eircom isnt oxfam,its a private company out to make money providing a phone service with bb as an additional service,if people leave and go to a separate company which goes bust,their tough</p>

Your arrogant response only reflects Eircoms own arrogant attitude towards consumers(no surprise there).
    there is a perception in the markets that Eircom has acted against Smart less in search of its EUR1.7 million debt, but more as a monopoly service provider acting out of commercial self-interest against a competitor.
    Sentiments I and many others share.
    Eircom isnt oxfam,its a private company out to make money providing a phone service with bb as an additional service,if people leave and go to a separate company which goes bust,their tough
    And be damned the customer right?Be it another company like Smart or the person sitting at home.
    Spam all the Eircom PR garbage you like most of the people on here will be a bit too savvy and see through your inane excuses. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

And be damned the customer right?Be it another company like Smart or the person sitting at home.
    Spam all the Eircom PR garbage you like most of the people on here will be a bit too savvy and see through your inane excuses. :rolleyes:[/quote]

If you owe money on a bill you pay,if you go over the deadline and still havent paid you get cut off,like isnt that a standard port of call in business,these werent Eircom customers,in any way shape or form,they were Smart customers,Smart didnt pay Eircom for the service they were using,Eircom had enough cut them off,they were within their rights,and as I can recall Eircom did its utmost to help customers who wished to move back to Eircom in a Hurry,kept the call centres open till midnight,drafted in extra staff,so whats the problem,your problem is you just want to bash Eircom,all your queries can be answered rationally

1: I dont have any queries
    2: I am attempting to "bash" both Eircom and yourself.You for defending their mercenary business practices that have cost people money and Eircom for carrying out said practices.

Say what you like,yourself and Eircom might think its ok to cause problems for people just so you can make a quick buck others disagree.
    ComReg told the Oireachtas Committee on Communications today that as part of the emergency plan, it had requested Eircom to provide a reasonable period of notice following a formal decision to discontinue its wholesale service to Smart.
    However on Monday October 2, Eircom declined that request and announced that one of Smart's wholesale contracts would be terminated by 5pm that evening.
    Link
    A little out of date I know.
    Eircoms actions are disgraceful and your defense of said actions is equally bad.

1: I dont have any queries
    2: I am attempting to "bash" both Eircom and yourself.You for defending their mercenary business practices that have cost people money and Eircom for carrying out said practices.

Say what you like,yourself and Eircom might think its ok to cause problems for people just so you can make a quick buck others disagree.

Link
    A little out of date I know.
    Eircoms actions are disgraceful and your defense of said actions is equally bad.

My defense of good business practise is disgraceful,as I said,not Eircoms fault that Smart went bankrupt

Well enjoy spamming these boards with your Eircom PR nonsense.

I doubt your posts have as much effect as you and your employers would like to think given that you are just a biased employee saying what you say for your own personal gain(maybe you are getting paid,maybe you are looking for a promotion,maybe you are just a parrot?)
    Anyway thanks for giving me the opportunity to bring Eircoms shady dealings to light again.

What shady dealings???,smart going bankrupt because it couldnt manage its own affairs and relying on Eircom to bail them out,and what about customers and business that got cut off,they were smart customers,they gave explict permission to go to another company,having no ties with Eircom,those are the brakes,they took a risk trying to save money,they ended up with a phone provider which managed poorly and collapsed,Eircom stayed open late to accomadate 'stranded customers' as a good will gesture,whats shady about it,I go back to my point,when you have a bill fo a service you have used,you pay it and on time if you dont you get cut off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

your origianl phone number and very tricky switching back to Eircom or any other PSTN based line company,if you choose to do so,lets not forget they could go bankrupt tommorow it happened 3 years ago,Eircoms busiest ever day

This is from the same company that said there's no demand for broadband in Ireland - when it was being rolled out all over Europe.

Btw, you do keep your number with Smart - more misinformation, similar to the tripe they spouted three years ago during all their cold calling.

You can keep it as of the as of the last few weeks and within specific area

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Maybe you should have said that in the first place?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can keep your number now since Eircom were forced to allow Smart use 'their' numbers for Smart's new customers.

This 'debate' is quite interesting from the point of view of someone on Smart - paying less, for a faster speed, no cap (enforced or not), no contention and excellent support that does not take you 6 levels of pressing buttons to get to.

Smart customers by their nature are people who know how to move provider and yet they stay. Funny that, if it's all so dreadful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭revolver2k

OP, I'm on the same exchange as your good self.
    Got Eircom BB in last week, and to be totally honest about it - i'm pretty happy with it. *shock* Had an eircom package in the last place i ived which wasn't up to much on the beggars bush exchange.
    I went for their 7Mb line in a bundle, it's pricy enough but i'm getting over 6Mb down and close to 400k(bizarre, seeing as how they claim 386k or whatever, to be the max available) up mid-day, and maybe 5Mb down and 300k-odd up at peak times...

Can't remember what the pings were on speedtest.net but over xbox live anyway it's going well. I'll check again when i i'm on at home.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Irlbo, I would hope for your own sake that Eircom are fully aware that you appear to be posting in an employee capacity.

From my own experrience watching employee's posting over the years I'd recommend you be very careful about what remarks you pass about eircom's past/present customers as well as eircom resellers and LLU providers.

In addition to this I don't want to see any further trolling, I do not want to see a thread taken off topic!

Cabaal,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You can keep it as of the as of the last few weeks and within specific area

I'm sure one of the many helpful Smart employee's should be able to clarify if this is correct, I'd suggest you take a leaf out of there book

In relation to number porting information I can see dating back to atleast mid 2007 says you are very much incorrect in your statement...care to recheck your "facts"?

Finally in relation to the ops question, from a personal standpoint I'd recommend going with Smart, basically from a value for money side of things it really is the best option available if you can get it imho (no cap issues, no massively reported speed issues etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

This is from the same company that said there's no demand for broadband in Ireland - when it was being rolled out all over Europe.

Btw, you do keep your number with Smart - more misinformation, similar to the tripe they spouted three years ago during all their cold calling.

100% you keep your number with Smart. The process is called "GLUMP" and has been running for ages now. This is an industry agreed practice and industry includes eircom.

Nearly all our customers opt to keep their number...

Grrr....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

lol at the eircoms employee outlook of there "quality" service

Advertisement