Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to advertise in Galway

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Eurochild

That really is the holy grail of advertising, and in this case I'd say it boils down to good customer service and say discounts for OAPs.

She does give discount to OAPs and in my opinion (bearing in mind she's my wife!) she does offer excellent service as she's a very genuine person and takes her job very seriously. One problem with OAPs is she can't take medical cards as the government has not yet brought in a nationwide system of registration for health professionals in Ireland. (The relevant legislation was published in 2005, the Health and Social Care Professionals Council was announced in 2007, a chief executive to the Council was appointed in 2008, but as yet no registrations of any health professionals have taken place - gives you an idea of how long it takes the HSE to do anything). So she is registered with the Health Professions Council in the UK but cannot register in Ireland as the mechanisms to do so are not yet functioning. Crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Eurochild wrote: »
    Any suggestions for what a prospective punter would like to see on such a site? Foot blog!? 101 horrible conditions of the foot!? Why feet matter...?!
    Hot young women smiling getting foot massages or what have you. Nothing ever lost out from a surplus of hot young women. Google others' sites sure. Edit: Elderly couple playing football. :D
    What about a domain name? .ie or .com?
    coms are fine and cheaper, I recommend blacknight, stay the hell away from register365 and hosting365. They might have discount vouchers if you tell them you are contemplating going with another company, you'll get your domain even cheaper. Pro tip: Michele is a man.
    Righty ho then, I can't look this gift horse in the mouth so I'm going to bust a gut over the weekend and try and have a website up and running by next week (with link!).
    Begun, the chiropodist wars have.
    /yoda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Number 5 now. That wasn't 3 weeks, was it?

Google indexes different sites (& types of sites) at different rates. 3 weeks is the average/norm (hence why I mentioned it - it's a safe bet!) - message boards are indexed more often... busy ones more often again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

+1 for:

.com is fine & cheaper.
    http://www.blacknight.com/medius-hosting.html

Don't use image based navigation!
    Put the relevent content into the [HTML]<title>[/HTML] & [HTML]<h1>[/HTML] tags.

Methinks that the posters to this thread deserve a freebie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Eurochild

I'll check out Blacknight but I've used Hosting Ireland for other sites and found them fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

I had a look at that claddagh cottage site and its pretty bare tbh, i recommend ya use div instead of tables so ya can style it easier using CSS, enhancing the feel and look of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭BJohnson

If your wife opens up a location in the city centre, by all means have her drop some cards into my surgery. I'm a chiropractor and about once a month I have a new patient come in having mistaken me for a chiropodist. I've contacted a couple of chiropodists in town to have their cards on hand to pass along when something like that happens, but neither have ever gotten back to me. Patients are usually a bit embarrassed that they've made a mistake, but if I can pass along a card or call up and book an appointment straight away, everyone is happy.

From my own experience, the top two sources of new patients are referrals from someone they know that was a patient and was happy with their treatment and results, and our Golden Pages ad. Being active in the community is important as well, whether it be through charity groups or just participating in activities around town.

Hope that helps. PM me if you or your wife want more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

See this is the kind of thing we need more of around Galway, if we want to turn this recession around, practical advice for small businesses starting off.

Advertisement