Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting a New car key

Options
  • 08-12-2008 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭

Lost my car keys over the weekend (Toyota), I have the Master key. Where's the best place to get a new key cut, will any Toyota garage do it and what kind of money am I looking at?

Thanks alot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

You will have to go to a Toyota main dealer because of the electronics in the key. An ordinary key will cost about €50ish I think I remember. It costs more for a key with the remote locking/unlocking facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

B*llox...

Turns out I DON'T actually have the master key. I have a grey key which I always thought was the "master" and hence have been keeping it in a safe place since I bought the car!

It has a kind of label attached to it with a six-digit code. What's that for?

No idea, but sure you should be able to ask the lads in the Toyota dealer parts department those specific questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    B*llox...

Turns out I DON'T actually have the master key. I have a grey key which I always thought was the "master" and hence have been keeping it in a safe place since I bought the car!

It has a kind of label attached to it with a six-digit code. What's that for?

Toyotas don't have a master key. The label is most likely a code to allow the new key be cut from a machine.

Eitherway the car was supplied new with 2x keys and the grey one which doesn't open the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

maidhc wrote: »
    Toyotas don't have a master key. The label is most likely a code to allow the new key be cut from a machine.

Eitherway the car was supplied new with 2x keys and the grey one which doesn't open the boot.

Correct, I think I lost one of the black ones while moving house and have now lost the second black one this weekend. The guy in the Toyota garage told me he could cut me a key but can't "programme" it to work (ie, start the car!)??

• Advertisement

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Correct, I think I lost one of the black ones while moving house and have now lost the second black one this weekend. The guy in the Toyota garage told me he could cut me a key but can't "programme" it to work (ie, start the car!)??

Doesn't sound so good... Sounds like he is saying that he can't programme the key to deactivate the immobiliser in the car. I was told that most post 1997 Toyotas have immobilisers as standard, so I am assuming there is one in your car?

I think you can still get a 'programmed' key, but it sounds like it is going to be more time and money. Nothing you can do about it - except you might as well get two keys this time.

Advertisement