Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query: Surfing the net on mobile phone

• 08-12-2008 3:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

I must admit I have fallen by the wayside when it comes to the latest mobile phone technology. Can anyone tell me what the story is with surfing the net on the latest (3G?) mobile phones? i.e. is it free of charge or does it affect your bill depending on how much you use it?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

PGL wrote: »
    I must admit I have fallen by the wayside when it comes to the latest mobile phone technology. Can anyone tell me what the story is with surfing the net on the latest (3G?) mobile phones? i.e. is it free of charge or does it affect your bill depending on how much you use it?

cheers

no, its not free. Its charged per amount of data used, usually per mb or per kb...if you do a lot of surfing, its best to grt an add on, usually about 10 euro a month which will cover between 500mb-1gb, depending which operator you are with..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

cojomo2 wrote: »
    no, its not free. Its charged per amount of data used, usually per mb or per kb...if you do a lot of surfing, its best to grt an add on, usually about 10 euro a month which will cover between 500mb-1gb, depending which operator you are with..

Prepay voda, o2 and meteor give you 50 mb a day for 99 cent. Which is a lot on a phone. And thanks to an application called oper mini you do not even need a 3g-phone or -signal!

I suppose to give you better info, you'd have to be a bit more specific about your network, the phone you use or want to use etc etc
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

strecker wrote: »
    And thanks to an application called oper mini you do not even need a 3g-phone or -signal!

Opera Mini? I don't understand. 3G is the speed of your connection and has nothing to do with Opera on your phone.. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

strecker wrote: »
    Prepay voda, o2 and meteor give you 50 mb a day for 99 cent. Which is a lot on a phone. And thanks to an application called oper mini you do not even need a 3g-phone or -signal!

I suppose to give you better info, you'd have to be a bit more specific about your network, the phone you use or want to use etc etc
    :)

Hmm 50 mb is nothing if you used streaming on the phone.
    And using the internal web browser, opening full web pages, it does not last that long either.
    Best possibility is Opera Mini.
    But €30 for 1.5 mb of data (50 mb x 30 days) is not cheap, considering the 1gig add-on with Three is a tenner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

ironclaw wrote: »
    Opera Mini? I don't understand. 3G is the speed of your connection and has nothing to do with Opera on your phone.. :confused:

That's my point. The op is obviously a newb to web on phone, so I just pointed out that to run o.m. he doesn't even need a 3g-phone because om's speeds aren 't noticeably better with 3g. Sorry, if that wasn't clear!
    @flodis,
    Yep, you're right. But I didn t wanna go into too many details without the op first giving a few more details! Just for browsing via om and for checking email, 50mb is plenty! If he expects full movies to stream, OR INTERNET RADIO ALL DAY, a 1gb add-on isn t much either ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

PGL wrote: »

cheers

3 is the leader in 3G phones, to use there planet 3 service is free (check the news, preview music videos etc), you can use application like msn messanger, skype etc for free as long as you top up by €10pm...

For example at the moment 3 are offering unlimited free sky sports 1 on your mobile until sometime in feburary....3G is basically the ability to deliver streaming media on your phone like youtube, tv, etc....

Advertisement