Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iomega Screenplay Pro HD and wireless network?

Options
  • 08-12-2008 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭

I recently bought an Iomega Screenplay Pro HD and want to be able to connect to it wirelessly so I can copy files to it without having to move it and connect it physically to my laptop regularly.

It says it supports USB WIFI adapter for wireless access. So I have connected up a Wireless G+ MIMO USB Adapter (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=272232) which I got with my wireless router. However, when I go into the Network setup screen it says no SSID detected. Anyone done this before or have any idea what I may need to do?

The Screenplay also has an ethernet connection but my router is not in the same room so I cannot connect directly to it. As an alternative, would I be able to run an ethernet cable from the Screenplay to my laptop (connected wirelessly to the router) ethernet port and get them talking that way? Don't know much about networking except the very basics fo setting up a wireless network so any info appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dlane

Have bought one and have same issue with wifi connection.
    Have tried a netgear adapter and a belkin adapter. Same result - no SSID.
    Surely someone has gotten this to work with an adapter other than the 3 listed on their website as they're not that easy to come by.

The wired connection works a treat, but problem is having wires all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MickC_1975

Hi

I forked out €33 for one of the officially supported adapters and i'm still getting the Cannot Get SSID message :mad:. The adapter LED doesn't even flash. Tried it in my laptop just to make sure it worked OK, no problems. Does anyone have any ideas how to get these working.

Regards

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Never got it working myself but didn't try too hard. I ended up buying a 5m USB cable on ebay and connecting it from the player to my laptop. The positioning is fine as it is all hidden behind a couch. I figured that a wireless connection would be pretty useless anyway as it would take forever to copy stuff to the device wirelessly...usb is very fast.

Hi Mick,

What model did you fork out for? There is only one of them available on ebay - TRENDNET TEW-424UB
    but shipping is ridiculous.
    MickC_1975 wrote: »
    Hi

I forked out €33 for one of the officially supported adapters and i'm still getting the Cannot Get SSID message :mad:. The adapter LED doesn't even flash. Tried it in my laptop just to make sure it worked OK, no problems. Does anyone have any ideas how to get these working.

Regards

Mick

• Advertisement

I agree with you about copying over wireless network.
    I've tried a wired network connection and copying is OK over it.
    I've also tried playing files from network shared drive using the wired network connection which works well.
    It would be nice to connect wireless to play from network devices.

Cheers
    Ludo wrote: »
    Never got it working myself but didn't try too hard. I ended up buying a 5m USB cable on ebay and connecting it from the player to my laptop. The positioning is fine as it is all hidden behind a couch. I figured that a wireless connection would be pretty useless anyway as it would take forever to copy stuff to the device wirelessly...usb is very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 echo59

I was looking at this today and thinking of buying. Luckily my network router is beside my TV and it also has a USB port to share HDDs that way.

My question is this, can the ScreenPlay Pro be connected to both the TV and network (or USB) simultaneously and both play a file and share files on the network? I presume so, but want to confirm before I buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MickC_1975

Diane

THe adapter I got was the [FONT=&quot]Edimax EW-7316UG. I've logged it with Iomega and they want me try it with the cabled connection and get back to them. I'll do it over the weekend at some stage.

Rgds

Mick
    [/FONT]

Hi,

Yeah, it can be connected to TV and share on the network.
    Once you connect USB to PC, you can't view on TV - get startup screen.
    Need to get router next to TV for ethernet as the wireless is just too difficult to source. Might look at getting wireless through the states.
    Have you any experience with Wireless Telephone extender kits? The ones you plug into socket and extend Telephone over esb cables?
    They have them in Peats, but 99.99 + postage. Seems a lot.
    Have seen them on ebay from UK seller - half the price, but not the same make/model.
    I know maplin are supposed to have them for 80, but are listed at 39.99sterling on their website - another rip off :(

Hope this helps.
    D Lane
    echo59 wrote: »
    I was looking at this today and thinking of buying. Luckily my network router is beside my TV and it also has a USB port to share HDDs that way.

My question is this, can the ScreenPlay Pro be connected to both the TV and network (or USB) simultaneously and both play a file and share files on the network? I presume so, but want to confirm before I buy.

That's perfick, thanks D Lane!

Router is beside/behind TV and has free ethernet ports, so that's my problem solved. The router also has a USB port and an in-built bittorrent client for PC-free downloads, but I guess I will lose that functionality if I want to access the device on PC and TV at the same time (using Ethernet).

• Advertisement

Hi,

From what I've seen you should be able to connect TV and network at same time - just not TV and USB at the same time.

:)

Thanks, will give it a go. J

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Anyone get their wifi working on the screenplay pro?

I'm getting the same problem as above!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Thinking of buying this lads, how well does it play .mkv files?

Is there a standard RJ45 Ethernet connection on it? Have people bought the 1TB version?

Cheers,
    M

It doesn't play .mkv files. you have to stream them from your PC/laptop. I've converted these using some software. See the following post Iomega User Community :: View topic - Super - The best sofware encoder for your Iomega Drives

Yes the Screenplay Pro has an RJ45 network connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

hmmm..never tried mkv files myself but their website says it does support them.

http://go.iomega.com/en/products/multimedia-drive/screenplay-pro/?partner=4725

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dolphinjudy

I am getting the same problem.. no SSID found. I have tried 2 different brands of wireless adapters with no luck. I found a EDiMAX EW-7316Ug Wireless 802.11b/g USB Adapter on Ebay for AU$40 from Hong Kong but would prefer to buy one locally that is compatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

Buy yourselves a TP Link wireless access point, anything that can be networked with a cable can be made wireless with this. I use it for my Set Top Box as well. have the screenplay wireless. For mkv playback you's consider gettting the iTab-38HD they are the business :)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭DecTenToo

Had the same problems - this link may be of use

http://screenplayprohd.wikia.com/wiki/Network

Seems to be a problem in that WPA should be used instead of WEP and the
    SSID must be broadcast even after the wireless connection has been setup.

I think I'll stick with a wired connection.

Hi,
    Wrong thread I would say, but have recently installed vodafone huawei router, which has usb connection for HDD.
    I can see the hdd from the laptop, however, the issue is I cannot see it from my screenplay pro hd.

P.S. Gave up on the wireless aspect of the screenplay ages ago, as copying over LAN is slow enough.

Any takers or anyone know of the correct thread?

Diarmuid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

Just wondering did anyone manage to get there Screenplay Director to connect wirelessly to their network. Mine just wont connect no reasons given!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

derra_121 wrote: »
    Just wondering did anyone manage to get there Screenplay Director to connect wirelessly to their network. Mine just wont connect no reasons given!!!

I got the screenplay pro HD networked, which should be pretty much the same.

did you try buying a wirleess access point (WAP) on connecting in wirelessly that way? you should pick one up for about 20-30 quid online

Advertisement