Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV -> 2nd. WHV

Options
  • 08-12-2008 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭

Here's the gist basically.
    Few of us were planning on going to Thailand for the summer.
    However a guy two of us used to be on a team with moved to Oz and owns a restaurant there and e-mailed my mate saying there was jobs for us if we wanted to come over for the summer.
    Sounds good except the whole WHV issue.

Basically we'd be going June thru August so 3 months.
    But we were hoping to do the standard 'year in Oz' in around 2 or 3 years or so.

To get a 2nd WHV then you need to have done 90 days of rural, harvesting or construction work as far as I understand it, yeah?
    But we would all be working in this restaurant.

Is there and way you can get a 2nd. WHV without doing the prerequisite of the 90 days rural or construction?

Doesn't look like there is but hopefully someone here can clarify it for me?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭mcdonnst

You can chance it getting a second visa, they only check about 1 in 10 or something like that. Lots of people I know have chanced it and got it, but I do know 2 who did'nt If you really want to do the year (which you should) then don't waste it on 3 months.

You can get a 3 month hol visa, so if you mate wants to pay u cash in hand that could work.

I did my 3 months (didnt want to risk it), back a month and thinking Ill head back in Jan for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

mcdonnst wrote: »
    You can get a 3 month hol visa, so if you mate wants to pay u cash in hand that could work.

I'm assuming this isn't exactly looked upon kindly by Australian authorities?
    What are the chances of getting caught and fecked over if you take this route?

(Sorry if you aren't allowed talk about this mods, I'll delete if necessary. :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Frisbee wrote: »
    I'm assuming this isn't exactly looked upon kindly by Australian authorities?

No its not. They even have a dob-line setup for people who want to report it. Most Australians are aware of this. I also heard that their is a reward for any information that leads to finding any bad people.
    What are the chances of getting caught and fecked over if you take this route?

Fecked over = Being removed from Australia and sent back to the country you came from. Note this is not where your travel originated but where you entered the country from. If you fly Ireland -> Thailand -> Australia you are sent back to Thailand. You would also be subject to a three year exclusion period where you may not be permitted to enter Australia during that three year period.

Your friend my also face prosecution for hiring staff without checking their eligibility to work in Australia.

To be honest I wouldn't risk it. All it would take is one customer/other employee/someone you piss off to ring the dob line and immigration will be at the door of your job the next day. Then your summer and one year trip are both ruined.

Watch a couple of episodes of Border Patrol and you will see how serious they take their borders.

To be honest I wouldn't risk it. All it would take is one customer/other employee/someone you piss off to ring the dob line and immigration will be at the door of your job the next day. Then your summer and one year trip are both ruined.

Watch a couple of episodes of Border Patrol and you will see how serious they take their borders.

To be honest I figured as much.
    How much money do you think you would need for three months in Oz? At the moment it's looking like Perth -> Melbourne -> Brisbane.
    I'm thinking a fair bit, which I would struggle to raise...
    Hmmm, I have an uncle who owns a decorating business in Perth. Taking that wouldnt count as construction? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

To be honest I figured as much.
    How much money do you think you would need for three months in Oz? At the moment it's looking like Perth -> Melbourne -> Brisbane.
    I'm thinking a fair bit, which I would struggle to raise...
    Hmmm, I have an uncle who owns a decorating business in Perth. Taking that wouldnt count as construction? :p

Perth isn't rural - also he needs to be registered ... mate from what you said it is pointless trying to do this - you said you want to come to Oz for 3 months - you need 3 months work on the farms? What is the point???
    you won't see anything else??

absolutely pointless coming over for 3 months if you want to get a 2nd visa which means nothing but work - sure you could stay around asia for another month (save you a fortune) and travel Oz for 2 months? (if money is a problem)

And please ignore any illegal visa advice if you get caught you'll be up the creek

• Advertisement

hussey wrote: »
    Perth isn't rural - also he needs to be registered ... mate from what you said it is pointless trying to do this - you said you want to come to Oz for 3 months - you need 3 months work on the farms? What is the point???
    you won't see anything else??

I know working for him wouldnt be rural work, but it might slip in under construction. It can be rural or construction apparently, maybe I'm wrong.
    hussey wrote: »
    And please ignore any illegal visa advice if you get caught you'll be up the creek

That's why I created this thread, to get an idea of what's a no no and what's ok. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I know working for him wouldnt be rural work, but it might slip in under construction. It can be rural or construction apparently, maybe I'm wrong.
    No you are wrong, from http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/eligibility-second.htm
    have completed three months of specified work in regional Australia* while on your first Working Holiday visa

Cheers I jsut saw construction listed as an option here
    You may be eligible to apply for a 2nd working holiday visa if you have completed the required seasonal/ construction work in Australia, you will be required to provide evidence of this.

Cheers for the info anyway.

So new question. Anyone done a holiday visa to Oz for three months?
    How much did you spend? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Cheers I jsut saw construction listed as an option here

Don't mind those visa companies. They're all full of sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Please can we have no more mention of working illegally or under the radar etc. It is not allowed in this forum. OP, if you want to stay on in Aus you need to do so down a legal route.

I won't delete posts or lock this thread but any further similar discussion will resuly in infractions/bannings.

• Advertisement

Ok well tbh I dont want to waste my WHV on three months so thinking gonna work my ass off here to raise enough money to just head out for three months, assuming the euro to dollar exchange rate stays as kindly as it is now :p

Strong possibility we can get free accommodation between my uncle, my mate and my mate's uncle wherever we decide to go. So when you take accom out of it I'm thinking I won't need that much money...

Cheers for all the help

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

you'll need a few grand (euros) anyway.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    you'll need a few grand (euros) anyway.

Aye I was thinking after flights if I can get 2000euro spending money.
    Which at the moment works out at just under 4000 Dollars (I'm sure this will fluctuate before the time comes)

If I can get 4000 dollars I'd be very happy.
    Anyone else think that would be enough?

i landed july 25th and was broke by end of september. i had about 7k dollars. i travelled the whole east coast, but we were going thru money like nobodys business!

i landed july 25th and was broke by end of september. i had about 7k dollars. i travelled the whole east coast, but we were going thru money like nobodys business!

Ah well I'll just be flying into Perth to visit family.
    Then after a week or so straight over to Brisbane for the remainder of the time where we won't have to pay for accom.
    I think myself 4k should be enough, maybe take a trip up to Cairns for a week at some stage...

well how much do you think you could live on a week? It's probably the same in ireland, as brisbane.

well how much do you think you could live on a week? It's probably the same in ireland, as brisbane.

Yeah I figured the economy is much the same.
    4000 for 12 weeks is 333.33 a week

Most likely won't spend that much every week so if we want to do Fraser Island, have to get accom somewhere for a few days, I should have enough surplus.

Advertisement