Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is a Pass Degree enough?

• 08-12-2008 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭

Is a Pass Degree enough for the Hibernia Higher Diploma in Arts in Primary Education?

It says on the entry requirements
    A primary degree (National Framework of Qualifications Level 8)

Thanks,
    Nick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭hot chick

Technically it's enough.
    I got into a PGCE in the UK with a level 8 degree, but here you're competing against a lot of people with level 9 (Hons) degrees.
    Even if you've a lot of experience I wouldn't be that hopeful.
    Your best bet is to ring the college, speak to the head of the course if you can, and ask them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

hot chick wrote: »
    Your best bet is to ring the college, speak to the head of the course if you can, and ask them.
    Yeah theres a lot to be said for calling them up. Not many people do it, so it bodes well for you if you get talking to someone in charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Just to clarify - a level 8 degree is an honours degree, a level 9 award is a masters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like you need a very good interview with a pass degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Just to clarify - a level 8 degree is an honours degree, a level 9 award is a masters.

So is a pass degree enough would you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

So is a pass degree enough would you think?

Just to clarify for everybody - do you mean a Pass grade in a Level 8 Degree? Level 8 Degrees are called Honours degrees regardless of the grade.

But to answer your question: Yes, a Pass grade in a Level 8 Degree is enough. I know of people who got in with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lemon125

Just to clarify for everybody - do you mean a Pass grade in a Level 8 Degree? Level 8 Degrees are called Honours degrees regardless of the grade.

But to answer your question: Yes, a Pass grade in a Level 8 Degree is enough. I know of people who got in with this.

Are you sure that a pass degree in a level 8 degree is still a level 8 degree. I had left college when these changes were made so dont have a clue what to put down on application forms when they ask. I have a pass degree from a level 8 honours course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

lemon125 wrote: »
    Are you sure that a pass degree in a level 8 degree is still a level 8 degree. I had left college when these changes were made so dont have a clue what to put down on application forms when they ask. I have a pass degree from a level 8 honours course

Yes, I am certain.

The award is an honours degree, it is not a pass honours degree, it is not an honours, honours degree.

They don't "downgrade" your level 8 award because you "only" passed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lemon125

You dont know how much that has cheerd me up, i know its only small but I'm delighted that its still a level 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭snowdaze

Hibernia will no longer acccept a level 7 ordinary (pass) degree like they did several years ago. It must be a level 8 and it must be a degree. I have a friend who thought she could get in with a level 8 which was a diploma. Hibernia offered her the place, took the deposit etc and later told her it was not acceptable just before her start date!!! it is the dept of ed that require your level 8 to be a level 8 degree...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

So from reading this topic can it be taken for granted that

A pass degree in UL/UCC etc. is a level 8 degree regardless of whether an honours grade was obtained or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

A Diploma (available mainly from ITs) is now called an Ordinary Degree, Level 7

A Degree (which was available at Honours or Pass Level) is now an Honours Degree, Level 8

Where the confusion arises is that Degrees used to be awarded as 1.1 Hons, 2.1 Hons, 2.2 Hons and Pass ( as was the way in UL which was mentioned above)

To distinguish a pass at honours level in a Level 8 award from a Level 7 Ordinary Degree, a pass at Level 8 is now called a third class honours to the best of my knowledge.

My brother graduated from UL in 2005 with a Level 8 degree, in 2004 he would have been awarded a pass, but the system changed in 2005 and instead he got 3rd class honours, which makes it sound like he did an awful lot more work to my mother who doesn't know the difference. :)

So in a nutshell:

Diploma (Pre 2005) = Level 7 Ordinary Degree (2005 onwards)
    Degree (Pre 2005) 1.1 Hons, 2.1 Hons, 2.2 Hons, Pass =
    Level 8 Hons Degree (2005 onwards) 1.1 Hons, 2.1 Hons, 2.2 Hons, 3rd Hons

Advertisement