Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Useless Eircom

Options
  • 08-12-2008 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭

Ordered a phone to be put in on the 7th of November and I'm still waiting for an Engineer to come out.

They said a phone line is already in the house which I think it isn't and they just need to stick a Jack in.

They really are useless. I've rung them twice but I keep on getting some sweet owl granny who I ain't arsed shouting at.

They have charged me for line rental already. Chances of getting it back?

I'll be going with UTV for BB now because of this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Owl granny!!! How did an owl learn to talk? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

Pm me your address and phone number and I'll check the status of this order,and we have no sweet auld grannies working here haha

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

F*ck eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Irlbo, I see your post offering to check the status of an Eircom order for someone, wonder if theres any chance of checking mine too please ?
    I ordered a phone line on 13th November, new house that was never previously wired. Rang about it on monday, woman took my details and said she'd check it out and ring me back tuesday, still waiting for her to ring !!!
    Rang twice today about it, first time i was put on hold for 15 mins and then suddenly call was dis-connected ! Bad sign that...........

Second time i got a rather unfriendly woman, who told me that i'd just have to wait till and engineer contacted me..........no help whatsoever !

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭patpark121

Funny that. New customers can't get connected, yet i'm plagued by their sign up agents to comeback to eircom after i switched to a competitor. 3 calls at least daily even after i said i wasn't interested.......in october.

• Advertisement

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Irlbo, I see your post offering to check the status of an Eircom order for someone, wonder if theres any chance of checking mine too please ?
    I ordered a phone line on 13th November, new house that was never previously wired. Rang about it on monday, woman took my details and said she'd check it out and ring me back tuesday, still waiting for her to ring !!!
    Rang twice today about it, first time i was put on hold for 15 mins and then suddenly call was dis-connected ! Bad sign that...........

Second time i got a rather unfriendly woman, who told me that i'd just have to wait till and engineer contacted me..........no help whatsoever !

Pm me the address,ill check it for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

He called today, I'll update the status later.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

Ordered mine on the 2nd, installed today.
    Just waiting for the modem to come now!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mlo

My turn to trump all of your stories. I ordered my phone line on the 5th of May and I still don't have any idea if I'm going to get a line, let alone when.

First date was 8th of september (it's a new build so I had to wait till I had power) the date came and went, suspiciously my next door neighbour lost their phone for the day but that was it.

Then it went to Nov 12th, came and went, no idea when I'd get a phone, thenthe data changed to December the 12th, and I'm not exactly holding my breath :(

I thought the Universal service agreement meant that Eircom had to give me a phone line or at least give me a rational reason why not?

I'd also add that I'm thouroughly appalled by the rudeness and lack of knowledge by Eircom's phone support people each time I ring 1901 to try to get some information.

It seems that my village is on the end of an exchange and the only way to get a line is to keep a check on the local obituaries (I kid you not)

I'm not even asking for miracles, just a straight answer on if and when I can get a line. but I know of at least 4 other residents in my village in the same boat, in fact my other next door neighbour has given up on ever getting a landline and uses FWA bb and mobiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Mlo wrote: »
    My turn to trump all of your stories. I ordered my phone line on the 5th of May and I still don't have any idea if I'm going to get a line, let alone when.

First date was 8th of september (it's a new build so I had to wait till I had power) the date came and went, suspiciously my next door neighbour lost their phone for the day but that was it.

Then it went to Nov 12th, came and went, no idea when I'd get a phone, thenthe data changed to December the 12th, and I'm not exactly holding my breath :(

I thought the Universal service agreement meant that Eircom had to give me a phone line or at least give me a rational reason why not?

I'd also add that I'm thouroughly appalled by the rudeness and lack of knowledge by Eircom's phone support people each time I ring 1901 to try to get some information.

It seems that my village is on the end of an exchange and the only way to get a line is to keep a check on the local obituaries (I kid you not)

I'm not even asking for miracles, just a straight answer on if and when I can get a line. but I know of at least 4 other residents in my village in the same boat, in fact my other next door neighbour has given up on ever getting a landline and uses FWA bb and mobiles.

yes, but they have 365 days to provide it to you :eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Well he came and left 5 mins later without doing a thing. Don't think he has rung back. I'll have to check when I get home from work. Staying late because I need to use the internet!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Kershaw.D

really , i ordered mine on monday and my phone & broadband is already on ,ntl dont cover most areas for broadband

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Bet you got nothing in writing either, the odd phone call from an engineer type maybe . Complain to Comreg about that !!!

They have a year to provide same and it is a Universal service Obligation ( USO ) NOT a Universal Service Agreement

That is because they have no info. Stick to dealing with them in writing where it will be escalated.

Kershaw.D wrote: »
    really , i ordered mine on monday and my phone & broadband is already on ,ntl dont cover most areas for broadband

Yeah I was shocked when I couldn't get NTL or Smart and I live in Dublin ffs, in D20 or Chapelizard.

Anyway the line is active just need someone to throw a socket in, should be a 10 min job. But no this is Eircom and has to take over a month.

Although we did get NTL for TV but that's a whole different thread.

USO it is then. Is it 352 days from my first application? or from my paying the application fee?

You're right I haven't had a single written response, in fact when they came and went in september I presumed that the line was in as I hadn't heard anything from them after the visit.

Next question, who should I write to in order to get more information on the actual problem? Also does anyone have an idea as to why the whole village has such a limited number of lines?

USO it is then. Is it 352 days from my first application? or from my paying the application fee?

From request
    You're right I haven't had a single written response, in fact when they came and went in september I presumed that the line was in as I hadn't heard anything from them after the visit.

Next question, who should I write to in order to get more information on the actual problem? Also does anyone have an idea as to why the whole village has such a limited number of lines?

info@comreg.ie

You should have a written acknowledgement and a receipt of course !! You cannot complain to eircom because they will not tell you your account number will they .

Strangely they've already given me a phone number (which oddly enough rings if you dial it :confused:) and an order number, but you are correct no account number.

I do have some correspondance from them, and of course I have the bank record of the cheque being drawn, but no communication after the initial letter.

Some of my near neighbours (the ones who haven't given up on the idea of having a landline) are trying to get the local politicians to roll in on this one, I reckon we'll need that or some kind of act of god as it seems the exchange that serves the village is full and Eircom appear to have no intention of expanding it.

Still today's the 12th and you never know maybe the cabeling difficulty that the automated message speaks of could really be fixed by now ......

I reckon the problem here is the area or estate you've moved into is not pre-cabled,common in new built estates,builders have the houses built before there is even poles up or any wiring done,this can be problematic in regards time,as it could take months to be completed

Irlbo wrote: »
    This can be problematic in regards time,as it could take months to be completed

Point taken Irlbo but where I live eircom expects the homeowner to dig the road ( boreen) because they refuse to do it . That's 3m of dig to get to an existing pole after you have run a cable all the way to the road and have at least 10m of slack on it for eircom to play with .

The last guy I know who had this problem simply threatened to chainsaw the pole in half to make them come out ....and amazingly they came out the following week and did the 3m dig and connected him :D

The real point is that without an account number you cannot make a complaint to eircom about this denial of service as per the USO .

You should be issued with an account number as soon as you apply for a phone line, period !

Irlbo wrote: »
    I reckon the problem here is the area or estate you've moved into is not pre-cabled,common in new built estates,builders have the houses built before there is even poles up or any wiring done,this can be problematic in regards time,as it could take months to be completed

Well technically I'm the developer, as I do have a builder but everything has been under my direction. We have run a cable out to the road (in fact it's in accordance with the downloadable directions on eircom's own site) and there is a telephone pole within about three feet of the cable. I also have neighbours on either side of me who have telephone lines (but no DSL) Trust me when it comes to technology I've pretty much prewired for every eventuality. I reckon there's a copper mine somewhere in south America that's been living off my electrical wiring for the last few months at least :)

No I think it's a more serious problem, we're a small village thet more or less sits at the edge of the area covered by the exchange, there's been massive growth in the area in recent years and Eircom just hasn't kept pace in delivering the infrastructure.

Individually Eircom can flaunt the USO (I've downloaded it and read it now BTW) because it's going to cost more than 7k to provide a line but surely if enough people need a line they are obliged to spend to upgrade the system and the total cost per line would be less than the USO's reasonable cost figure per person.

• Advertisement
Advertisement