Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cold house!!!!

Options
  • 08-12-2008 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

the boiler in my house is giving trouble. its not much more than a year old and i had a guy out to look at it today. he said that a part was not installed on it which should have been.

anyways after ringing around a couple of times to various people i found the number of the original instasllation plumber. he will not rectify the situation as he has not been paid by the original builder because seemingly gone into recievership( not sure what that means but i am sure it means they have no money).

anyway what steps should i take now? should the original plumber fix it ?

without sounding harsh should the plumber fix it regardless of being paid as he has not doe the job properly in the first place?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you bought the house from the builder, then your contract is with them, not the plumber. If the builder is gone into receivership, meaning they've oretty much gone out of business and are being wound up, then you're on your own. You'll get no help from a liquidator, so I wouldn't even try.

Before you bought the house, was there a snag list done by a surveyor? Was everything on the list seen too, and was the boiler mentioned?

How did the boiler even work if there was a part missing? It's not a Potterton Suprima boiler is it? Those are notorious, and the PCB in them fails all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

seemingly it was an additional part that could be added but should have been. am only going on what the plumber said to me. the boiler can function at 50% efficiency without it.... not sure i am not a plumber.

so there is no comeback in this situation?

i find that hard to believe as most construction companies are set up to do one housing estate and often stop trading as that company when its finished to limit liability.

could be wrong but i would have imagined there should be some come back on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

What brand of boiler do you own ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Martron wrote: »
    i find that hard to believe as most construction companies are set up to do one housing estate and often stop trading as that company when its finished to limit liability.

Never heard of that happening before. Definite sign of a dodgy builder if that was the case.

There may be a manufacturers warranty, as it probably shouldn't have been installed at all if there were parts missing. Just who is responsible though, and getting them to honour their responsibility, is probably a matter for the courts/solicitors. You'll find it nearly impossible to get the plumber (who wasn't paid) to do the work now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Setting up a company for each estate is common enough practice to my knowledge

• Advertisement

it is very common practice to set up a company for a given task.

the boiler is baxi. but would the boiler warranty be void if it was not installed correctly.

and the inhibitor is a liquid added to system to stop water boiling and add residue so it was no apparent at the start of the boiler life as the water had not damgaed the system at that stage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

which part is needed?!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Martron wrote: »
    it is very common practice to set up a company for a given task.

the boiler is baxi. but would the boiler warranty be void if it was not installed correctly.

To add my tuppence worth when it comes to boilers a lot of the so called boiler experts out there are taking the michael. A bloke sent out by the GAS company two years ago to service our boiler told my wife it was on it's last legs and that parts worth over €500 were needed. Anyway he went on his way leaving the boiler working in his own works "for how long I dont know". Anyway the boiler began making a buzzing noise earlier this year and a chap I got in to balance my central heating told me that it was only a solenoid - there was nothing else wrong with the boiler and if the noise got too much that the part could be replaced. He told us that he had previously worked for the Irish distributor of the particular make of boiler and they had the job when the houses were new of commissioning the boilers - so it certainly might be worth your while checking with the imported of Baxi boilers to get their read on the problem - they may have been involved in the oroginal commissioning.

In relation to our boiler - I got the same chap back last week - no parts were needs - event the solenoid and the boiler is going like a train after spending €90.

So in the event of no luck from Baxi get someone to take a look who knows what they are doing.

Advertisement