Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

business site with blog

Options
  • 08-12-2008 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all

Am doing a website for a friend of friend's business, basic brochure site with downloadable pdf of products and prices plus all the usual stuff (all static info).

Quoted them a price and all happy with that, have gotten stuck into the design. They are now asking can they have a blog !! Arrgh. Anyway, the hope was that I would be able to get something up for them fairly quickly after settling on the design but this has thrown a spanner in the works.

Should I tell them no, not possible in agreed time-frame/price! (i don't have time to download a CMS like joomla and learn how to use it at the moment) or should I just completely change tack and set up a wordpress site.
    Are there are any disadvantages to a wordpress site they (as a business) should be aware of. Inevitably they may wish to go down the shopping cart site route..a wordpress site would be pretty useless to them further on down the line? Or is a Web-Programmer likely to come along and tear my lovely looking brochure site to shreds anyway in any case!!

I have played around with wordpress briefly! Looks fairly easy to set up and maintain. The more i think about it actually the more I reckon it might suit them.
    I guess they want to blog about new products & offers etc. Unless there are any major issues I need to be aware of maybe thats what I should advise..

Any thoughts appreciated!!

S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

It's extra work, I'd personally make this clear and charge for it. It's your time at the end of the day.

In the past we've found that if we give rope like this, clients tend to keep pulling it and it ruins your morale.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Suebee

Am going to go with wordpress I reckon. Will give me some experience using it anyway..cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Definitely charge more for it. That's totally reasnable. Just say 'Yes, I can do that, btu it requires additional work and I can give you a quote' then you can quote them for a simple hosted blog like blogger or wordpress.com or a more integrated one that you can fit in with the current site.

Advertisement