Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to the RDS

Options
  • 08-12-2008 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭

Hi all. I'm a first year Arts student, living in Belgrove.

Someone from the student union told me that there would be a bus going from beside Glenomena to the RDS during exams. Does anyone know what the story with this is (bus times etc)?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

According to an email from the Student Union, November 26:
    Shuttle Bus
    This year, the Students' Union has organised a bus service between UCD and the RDS to replace the cancelled service which was run by the University. The bus leaves every 20 minutes from 7:45am, from the express bus stop beside Glenomena. Please be aware that space on the buses will be limited, so make sure you leave yourself plenty of time to get to the exam centre, particularly if this is your first set of exams in UCD.

It's about 30 mins walk for an average person, less if you have long legs and good shoes. Put it this way: if you walk, you have full control over when and how you do it, but you won't have control over the shuttle bus. It could be full, or stuck in rush hour traffic, factors outside your control.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

If you're making your own way the best thing to do is to catch a bus of any kind (10, 46A/B/C/D/E/Q, 47, 145, 746 are all good) to donnybrook church (Tis 3 stops) and then follow the crowds and the little yellow signs. Cuts out about half of the walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

Thanks loads for both of your replies! I missed that e-mail for some reason. Methinks I'll be shuttling it up then.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

What would be the best way to get to the RDS from the Knocklyon/Firhouse area? (By bus)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Dont rely on the bus, there is about 200 people waiting for each one.

Got a lift to the RDS with a mate and then walked back to campus last night, was grand, took 25 mins.

• Advertisement

rgt320q wrote: »
    What would be the best way to get to the RDS from the Knocklyon/Firhouse area? (By bus)
    Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Dont rely on the bus, there is about 200 people waiting for each one.
    I think Mikey is referring to the UCD Shuttle Bus, not Dublin buses in general. :cool:

Getting to the RDS from somewhere like way out, like Knocklyon/Firhouse, won't be that much different than getting to UCD. If you currently change for a bus that comes at UCD from the south, such as the 10 or 46a, stay on that a bit longer, and get off at the Donnybrook bus garage / RC church. Walk to the right up Anglesea Rd, (the left fork) till you come to the RDS.

If not, you could be looking at going via Dublin centre. Not much more to say except use Google Maps, and dublinbus.ie, and rds.ie, so that you can get there without relying on directions from others.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Cheers for the replies. I was just thinking, are there any buses from Rathmines that go by the RDS? Might be handier than going all the way into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Cheers for the replies. I was just thinking, are there any buses from Rathmines that go by the RDS? Might be handier than going all the way into town.

18 i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

SRFC90 wrote: »
    18 i think.

But be warned - Its timetables are merely an idea of when it will decide to turn up. Its as bad as the 17. I nearly missed an exam waiting on it once

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

The 18 from beside the swan centre in Rathmines, there's one every 20 min (approx) allowing for traffic, only takes about 15min to the RDS on off peak times.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    The 18 from beside the swan centre in Rathmines, there's one every 20 min (approx) allowing for traffic, only takes about 15min to the RDS on off peak times.:)

It does not come every 20 minutes. It come about once every 40 minutes, its a crap bus service.

If you walk down to Ranelagh you could get the 10, which stops in Baggot St, about 10 mins walk from the RDS. Or you could walk along the canal to Baggot St. then down to the RDS.

— Kingsley Amis

Advertisement