Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1GB Memory upgrade

Options
  • 08-12-2008 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I have a pc which has 512mb of ram, I bought 1 gb memory upgrade and have inserted in into pc.

When I check in system properties under my computer it says that the pc has now 896 mb of ram.

I am new to this - how do I update the system properties to read the correct amount of ram, do I have to go into the BIOS?

Also should I remove the original memory module of 512mb. Any help would be appreciated.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Your graphics card could be on-board and that it is using the system memory. What is the make/model of the computer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mulva

Its an HP Compaq dx2200

Thanks Ruu......I have just gone to crucial.com and used the scanner tool. Its says that I have 1gb of memory, does that mean that the original 512mb is redundant and I should remove it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

mulva zombie ass kicker? ;)

Sounds like the bios isn't seeing the 512mb stick, only the 1gb - which would make sense as the 896mb indicates that onboard video is taking the rest.

You don't have to update anything for your bios to see new ram, it should be automatic. What ram did you buy? It's very rare for ram to cause compatibility problems once it's a supported speed but it happens.

Are you sure both modules are seated correctly in the banks?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭curtin10

It may be a case that both modules of RAM need to be the same size, otherwise the OS will not see it. Update the BIOS. That may help.

• Advertisement

Thanks Curtin10
    Ive updated the bios, just checked the bios and now it is registering 1,536mb/DDR2 of memory so looks like it is sorted.

However on when I check in system properties under my computer it still says that I have 896mb of ram....sorry new to this game, is this something I should be concerned about, can I take it that the computer is using both memory modules, its definitely much faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

your graphics card is integrated... it uses ur RAM for graphics.

896mb RAM + 128mb RAM used by graphics card = 1024mb (aka 1GB)

Its totally normal. I recommend getting yourself a cheap graphics card perhaps and maybe a 1GB/2GB RAM stick... (could be bad advice, since I didn't look at your motherboard's details)

Advertisement