Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

How to measure network performance

• 08-12-2008 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

As part of a college project I have to "explain what measurement data will be maintained, how such data will be captured and presented" with regards to companies networking/telecommunications.

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Have a google for Nagios.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Have a google for Nagios.

Just had a look there - thanks.

But I think I need to explain what exactly will be measured as opposed to recomending 3rd party s/w.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Have a google for Iperf, its a tool specifically used to measure TCP and UDP throughput between two hosts. Should be plenty of reading on this topic linked off the Iperf sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

jamieh wrote: »
    Just had a look there - thanks.

But I think I need to explain what exactly will be measured as opposed to recomending 3rd party s/w.
    I was rather suggesting that nagios does this so why not figure out how it does it and what it does? Its open source.

After that the original question is too vague to offer further advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Snaga wrote: »
    Have a google for Iperf, its a tool specifically used to measure TCP and UDP throughput between two hosts. Should be plenty of reading on this topic linked off the Iperf sites.
    I was rather suggesting that nagios does this so why not figure out how it does it and what it does? Its open source.

After that the original question is too vague to offer further advice.

Thanks for the replies lads...I'll have a look at both :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement