Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

How to fit a 40" TV over fireplace?

• 08-12-2008 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Can anyone provide me with information on how to professionally mount a 40" LCD TV to the wall above a fire place?

I would like to get this professionally fitted with wires hidden etc. The job will require drilling into the brick of this functional chimney and this is something i'm not keen i trying myself.

Anyone had this done?

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

It's not the question you asked but any professional av firm will say putting a tv over a fireplace is the worst place for it. They should be mounted at head height . Think your neck might suffer if your craning up at it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭blazesoftware

Hi,

I have something similiar. Not sure how much trouble you want to go to. I was getting other work done at the time. I'd be against drilling the brick though.

What I did was replaster but to bring the plastered wall out a little from the brick from where it was so that I could have a recess to fit the TV. I have a 37" and have about 5 cm all round for ventallation. That way if the fire is on the TV is sunk in any any heat tends to travel in front of the TV thus missing it really. I've a gas fine so I would tend not to have it on full when the TV is on. That said its marginally hotter so doesnt concern me. The advantage is the tv is nice and flush and obviously I can hide all the wires directly behind the TV and have a socket at at the side of the new wall to run them all out.

In terms of head height I have might on a tilt bracket so can tilt it slightly downwards so it perfect when sittining on the sofa (about 6-7 ft away)

I also have some lighting in the recess which when dark looks great. Homemade version of what can be found here http://www.neon-lights.co.uk/

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭henry hill

I'd be against drilling the brick though.

Thanks for the replies. Why would you be against this? Apart from the drilled marks created, I don't see an issue, I'm sure they could be refilled if the TV came down

Also, i'd prefer to attach a fixed, low profile wall bracket. I was thinking of maybe fitting a few washers to the top of the bracket so that the TV would tilt downwards slightly. Sound like a good idea?

Anyone know of any companies that could complete this work? Or related websites? Can't find any

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Hi Henry,where are you based,Dublin? My brother is self employed in the home improvements buisness and is also a qualified electrician,basically he can do anything. Depends where you are though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Fergob

Hi Hery,

I got this done with my 42" 2 months ago, with a bracket fitted, and the guy who did it left it really neat with trunking covering all cables etc.. well happy and the price was really really good...he'sbased in Dublin and does this as a nixer at weekends, so if you want his details pm me,

Regards,

Ferg

• Advertisement
Advertisement