Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Birth Certificate

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Maybe it was different for me cos i had a section and was in there longer but my cert was done through the hospital they even dropped it to the relevent community care office and we paid in advance... now we are married so that may have made some difference:confused: He was born on a wed too.

Well in Galway, the registration office seem to open maybe 3 times a week for a few hours, so someone whom does not have a section might only have one sessino available and miss it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Allah Hu Akbar

Need a quick answer if somone wouldn't mind.

I want to get my daughter a passport, I'm not the birthcert because at the time myself and the mother weren't getting along but we're back together.

Who do I talk to about putting my name on the birthcert? The Garda said I can although my solicitor said I can't :confused: I just rang Department of foreign affairs and the woman said I be put on the birthcert.

Who do contact for information? I'm in the midlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Allah Hu Akbar

Got it sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Unmarried parents must both present themelves with photo id to fill out the forms and sign the register for both of them to be on the birth cert, if this is not done the the birth will be unregistered.

The forms for guardianship can be downloaded and printed off and then filled out and signed in front of and then signed and stamped by a commissioner of oaths.

It is wonderful to see that you wish to do this with the dad of your child to be as a matter of course instead of as part of horse trading for other things.

My co parent and I went and registered both our children together and he is on both birthcerts, I have given him the forums for guardianship twice and he said he can't be arsed. /shrug in any case it is down in my will that my kids go to my sister and her husband as they are nominated.

Hi, does this mean that even if the father has guardianship that this can be over-ruled by the mothers will in the event of her death?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Shelli wrote: »
    Hi, does this mean that even if the father has guardianship that this can be over-ruled by the mothers will in the event of her death?
    No, a mother's will cannot overrule another parent's guardianship rights. It means the father of her child is not a guardian, so the only way she can see to it that he gets custody in the event of her death is through her will - otherwise the child(ren) go to her next of kin (parents, etc.).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Birth certs are done in the Hospital now (galway anyway) and you usually have it before you leave if you're there for 2/3 days.
    Only if the parents are married. If they're unmarried you both have to attend the Registrar's Office to fill it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Need a quick answer if somone wouldn't mind.

I want to get my daughter a passport, I'm not the birthcert because at the time myself and the mother weren't getting along but we're back together.

Who do I talk to about putting my name on the birthcert? The Garda said I can although my solicitor said I can't :confused: I just rang Department of foreign affairs and the woman said I be put on the birthcert.

Who do contact for information? I'm in the midlands.

You can get your name added to the cert at any stage after the birth. You need to fill out a declaration and the mother needs to fill out another one naming you as the father. For full info or for the forms contact:
    General Register Office
    Government Offices
    Convent Road
    Roscommon
    Roscommon
    Tel:+353 90 663 2900
    Locall:1890 25 20 76

Advertisement