Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else really annoyed about the iphone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

TrueDub wrote: »
    Surely this is a plus point for the iphone?

Yes, in fact one could argue that the elegant iPhone has encouraged mobile manners, the lack of garish and vulgar ringtones and indeed, decent spelling, punctuation and grammar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I have mine over 12 months now and still happy with it. Before that I was using windows mobile to keep myself organised but the iphone just makes so much easier. Plus before Apple brought the iPhone to the market it costed a fortune to go online, now I have unlimited 3G for just under €10 :) So even if you don't like the iphone you can be thankful of the effect it has had on the market!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

I wouldn't mind if the OPs issues couldn't be solved but they can. There are some tiny niggly things but its a genius device in so many ways.

The browser is fast, reliable, easy use with some great features like sharing and zooming (wish all browsers had these two features). Youtube, google maps, iPod, videos, easy to look at sms, new applications every day, the camera ain't that bad - cud be better but I actually use it more than my 7mp Sony digital camera cos I have it with me all the time (Sony needs to be precharged too) and its good enough for emailing people stuff - even nice scenery photos I take.

I click mail and it does everything for me. If apple succeed in destroying mms then its worth the inconvenience. Let's all be fair here MMS is ripoff low quality bull.

Sent from my iPhone ;D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

culabula wrote: »
    Yes, in fact one could argue that the elegant iPhone has encouraged mobile manners, the lack of garish and vulgar ringtones and indeed, decent spelling, punctuation and grammar.

The Plebs truly have made mobile telephoney so dreadfully common.

The Plebs truly have made mobile telephoney so dreadfully common.

You said it Oafley!

• Advertisement

I wouldn't mind if the OPs issues couldn't be solved but they can. There are some tiny niggly things but its a genius device in so many ways.

The browser is fast, reliable, easy use with some great features like sharing and zooming (wish all browsers had these two features). Youtube, google

I click mail and it does everything for me. If apple succeed in destroying mms then its worth the inconvenience. Let's all be fair here MMS is ripoff low quality bull.

Sent from my iPhone ;D

MMS is something I never used and rarely received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭BlindedByGInge

MMS is something I never used and rarely received.

does any1 actually use mms anyway or is it just an excuse for ABiP's (anything but iPhone) to knit pick and find faults. wat other phone on the market combines a great music player with a web browser, loads of apps and a phone?

the last time i used mms was when i was about 10 sending a stupid pic to my friend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

It's a poor phone and a great phone. I see.

Haha ****e you got me there. I meant a poor phone but a great overall device.

su_dios wrote: »
    Haha ****e you got me there. I meant a poor phone but a great overall device.

And a complicated one, as well as being great in its poverty :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

eh? let me see. My nokia E71, oh and my E61 before that and oh my 6630 and my P900 and on and on and on and on...

You honestly think Apple was first to market with a browser , a music player and installable apps on a phone?
    wat other phone on the market combines a great music player with a web browser, loads of apps and a phone?

:)

• Advertisement

elderlemon wrote: »
    eh? let me see. My nokia E71, oh and my E61 before that and oh my 6630 and my P900 and on and on and on and on...

You honestly think Apple was first to market with a browser , a music player and installable apps on a phone?

He said a *great* music player (no to mention excellent video).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭BlindedByGInge

He said a *great* music player (no to mention excellent video).

haha, saved my ass there!! no not really, 3.5" screen, video player..... etc... etc... thought you had heard the list before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Never actually used one myself but am not suprised that the hype machine won over the product features.

If apple continue their normal trend then the next few generations of iphone will be pretty great, at the cost of the early adopters of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

the top bug bears -

SMS to multiple people. This she didn't know about and it drives her nuts.
    MMS - yes she did know about it but finds the lack of it on the iphone a pain.
    saving email attachments - real PITA for her business. Didnt know about this.
    Cut and paste - she new about this but didn't realize how much she needed it.

There's a couple more and I know there are workarounds but her point is that when you pay this much for a phone you expect these to work and you shouldn't have to install workarounds or jailbreak the handset.

What does she get frustrated with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Mrspinkbunny

I occasionally use my iPhone on O2 Ireland -though most of the time I use it on 3UK. I have never had any of the problems you describe.

You can use Garageband to edit your own ringtones very easily
    You can use the bluetooth with any headset that I know of
    The Safari browser with HSDPA is wonderful

The bluetooth I wanted to use with my gps in the car cause its like a handsfree.
    And what to everything else?
    My phone isn`t unlocked that voids my warrenty.
    Browser not an issue if you cannot get connection for days on end like I said half the time I`ve had the phone its not worked.
    And also the other day I spoke with O2 and believe it or not I do believe they edited my records to the failed connections didn`t show can you believe that!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Mrspinkbunny

the top bug bears -

There's a couple more and I know there are workarounds but her point is that when you pay this much for a phone you expect these to work and you shouldn't have to install workarounds or jailbreak the handset.

Exactly!!Top end price should mean top end phone not what I got!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The bluetooth I wanted to use with my gps in the car cause its like a handsfree.
    Browser not an issue if you cannot get connection for days on end like I said half the time I`ve had the phone its not worked.
    And also the other day I spoke with O2 and believe it or not I do believe they edited my records to the failed connections didn`t show can you believe that!!!!

my bluetooth also works fine with the plantronics headset I already have and my car, don't know anyone else who has problems, where did you get the idea it only works with 'apple headsets'?

my connections have been really good lately too, are you in a poor signal area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

the top bug bears -

Easy, hit the + beside the name on the text

How can you complain about the lack of a feature that has been documented over and over as not included

You can save images in email by holding finger down on them. As for PDFs etc, you cant, but use a computer for real computing.

How can you complain about the lack of a feature that has been documented over and over as not included

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

the top bug bears -

SMS to multiple people. - errmm.. its been possible for nearly a year now!

MMS - what's mms! :D
    saving email attachments - move the message to your 'sent' folder.
    Cut and paste - agreed. It really really should be possible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Thats impossible, no o2 staff can edit anything to do with your bills or calls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

haha, saved my ass there!! no not really, 3.5" screen, video player..... etc... etc... thought you had heard the list before.
    N82 has all that. Only thing it lacks is a touch screen which isnt a big deal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Good Points:

- Simply the best internet browser of any phone currently on the market.

- Music player in excellent and is a joy to use (to be expected from the pioneers in this field)

- UI is superb and much better and fluid than anything else I've ever used.

- App Store is very useful and full of clever little things, many are free and the rest are very cheap.

- Text messaging set up is great where it saves the messages in conversation/chat format.

Bad Points:

- Camera isn't great, 2MP, but I never really use my phone for the camera anyways so for me this is only a small setback

- Does not send/receive MMS. Again for me not a problem as I don't really use this.

- Ringtones are ghey and hard to change. Songs cannot be used as tones etc etc.

- Bluetooth. Where do I start with this. Cannot stream music over bluetooth, which is something I have always done, Cannot send receive music via bluetooth, Cannot send/receive pictures via bluetooth etc etc. Bluetooth seems to be a handsfree device only afaik.

- Unable to store files on the memory which leaves me loads of free space on my drive (not a lot of music) and no way to utilize it.

- Lack of copry & paste. Hard to do on a touch screen and should be Apples major priority for the next upgrade.

-No message Forwarding. My 3210 has this FFS!

- Broadband required. It seems every part of this phone is working under the assumption that the user has access to Wifi and Broadband. There are so many things that cannot be used on this phone without either. As someone stuck in the country with no chance of Broadband (this is a different rant aimed at the govt) I find there are so many restrictions on me because of my dial up only status. e.g music downloaded to itunes first, Massive update files for updating firmware etc etc.

- Safari keeps crashing sporadically. Don't know why but its not often enough to be a real complaint.

- Unable to save email attachments. Why. I don't know!

- O2 18 month contract. It seems a bit long but so far I can't complain with it. I think it is moderately priced (compared to the Irish Market) and any dealings I've had with CC have been adequate but not much more. Compared to the UK our deal is ridiculous but thats not really comparing like with like.

Overall Verdict:
    The best phone I've used, and I've just come from the N95 and the N95 8g, but it is the most frustrating. For everything it can do I just can't get my head around the amount of things it can;t do. Some of the most basic functions on the cheapest phones seem to be out of reach of the Apple iPhone. Buy it because its brilliant, but be prepared to be extremely frustrated at times

P.S this are all just my opinions and specific to me. Other people might find things wrong that I don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Exactly!!Top end price should mean top end phone not what I got!

since when does top price = top device?

Maybe if people researched their purchase correctly, worked out what they actually _need_ the phone for, find the phone that meets those requirements and buys it.

the chances are you could find a phone that does everything you need for half the price and does it twice as good....

don't blame apple for your laziness..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

I really can't understand how people can buy a phone without knowing what they're getting (or in this case, not getting) especially for the kind of money they're paying.

Saying that paying a top price means you should get a top device is silly, if i buy an N95 do I complain that it doesn't have a touchscreen? No, because it was never advertised as having a touchscreen! same goes for copy & paste, MMS, etc on the iPhone, none of it is advertised as being part of the phone and regardless of whether it should have it or not you purchased the phone knowing this. I'm afraid you have no valid argument (imo anyway) to fault the phone on issues it doesn't have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

amull87 wrote: »
    I really can't understand how people can buy a phone without knowing what they're getting (or in this case, not getting) especially for the kind of money they're paying.

Saying that paying a top price means you should get a top device is silly, if i buy an N95 do I complain that it doesn't have a touchscreen? No, because it was never advertised as having a touchscreen! same goes for copy & paste, MMS, etc on the iPhone, none of it is advertised as being part of the phone and regardless of whether it should have it or not you purchased the phone knowing this. I'm afraid you have no valid argument (imo anyway) to fault the phone on issues it doesn't have.

I thought it was common knowledge that the majority of iPhone users bought the handset because it was the latest "must-have" item? Is it any wonder that this thread has continued for several pages already and will most likely continue until it is closed? The iPhone is a love it or hate it device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Bought my 2G iPhone almost a year ago and I'm still delighted with it, especially with the App Store.

Safari had been unstable since 1.1.4, but 2.2 seems to have fixed all those issues for me.

MMS should be added. I'd never use it, but it would be a nice option to have. There is a company working on an MMS solution for the App Store, so it's just a matter of time before people get their MMS, realise they have no use for it, and move on to moaning about something else.

Copy and Paste will be implemented eventually. I think it's just a case of Apple holding back until they have a solution that is as elegant as everything else in the OS. I've actually created an app (ClipBoard) that enables some copy and paste functionality between apps. It's currently in review at Apple, so hopefully it'll make it to the App Store. Shameless plug, I know...

The camera is fine for daylight snaps. On a night out, it just plain sucks. Definitely something that needs to be upgraded.

The device can be use as a hard drive, contrary to what people have said in this thread. Air Sharing enables WiFi file sharing. I actually use mine as a wireless file server when I'm using multiple machines in work.

I've been caught out a couple of times with SMS forwarding. That'd be a nice feature to implement, and it's something that could be done easily with a software update.

It's not a perfect device, but it's the best mobile platform for me. Not to mention that a lot of "missing" features can be fixed by jailbreaking the device and using the apps on Cydia.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

the last time i used mms was when i was about 10 sending a stupid pic to my friend. :)

What? Are you serious? I use that function all the time! I constantly send photos to mates.

I was away last week and it was great to send photos of the beach, the pub, my pint etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

engrish? wrote: »
    What? Are you serious? I use that function all the time! I constantly send photos to mates.

I was away last week and it was great to send photos of the beach, the pub, my pint etc...
    Its people like you that make me happy I don't have MMS... Showoff:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

engrish? wrote: »

Why on earth would you send someone a picture of your f*cking pint

do you think they have haven't seen one before or forgot what it looks like?

it's this sort of nonsense that has this thread 4 pages long.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I was gonna buy this phone when it was released,Im so glad I did'nt now :).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement