Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else really annoyed about the iphone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Far from annoyed Im chuffed with the iphone and i seem to have impressed a few others when showing it off as they have now bought them and some of these folk were apple product haters bought creatives instead of ipods bla bla bla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Rob_l wrote: »
    Far from annoyed Im chuffed with the iphone and i seem to have impressed a few others when showing it off as they have now bought them and some of these folk were apple product haters bought creatives instead of ipods bla bla bla

+1
    All the Microsoft haters were apple fans until the mac became popular, they have now moved on to become creative Zen lovers.

The iPhone is the single greatest all rounder gadget I have ever used. The number of app's available is incredible, just bought Orb and can highly recommend it.

The camera by the way gets a lot if unnecessary flak it's a very good daylight only camera, I was looking a a mates Tocco photo collection recently and the outdoor shots in daylight were disgraceful quality for an alleged 5Mp camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Some people bought it because they find itunes software a pile of utter pants.

they wouldn't be far wrong.

but the early zen software was equally bad.

some people actually buy products based on the product and not the name, i know it's hard to believe but not everyone is a dribbling moron.

ntlbell wrote: »
    Some people bought it because they find itunes software a pile of utter pants.

they wouldn't be far wrong.

but the early zen software was equally bad.

some people actually buy products based on the product and not the name, i know it's hard to believe but not everyone is a dribbling moron.

What do you mean iTunes is utter pants? Could you elaborate?

WinAmp is the best media player I have used but iTunes has improved massively over the years.

I think it's hilarious all these haters/Anti fanboy's dismissing anyone who buys an iPhone as nothing but dedicated followers of fashion, whether you like to admit it or not, they are a superb device, better than almost every other hand-held device out there.

With, and this is a big with, the potential to get better as new software is released which is more than can be said for the vast majority of other phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

So, you turned decent folks into mac-zombies? Hehehe... That apple voodoo, eh.
    creative zens are much better than ipods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Why on earth would you send someone a picture of your f*cking pint

do you think they have haven't seen one before or forgot what it looks like?

it's this sort of nonsense that has this thread 4 pages long.

You're nonsense.

Why do I think someone would like to see my pint? When its 11am on a Tuesday, raining & cold in Dublin and I'm sitting in a beer garden somewhere sunny overlooking the beach? They probably wouldnt but I would find it funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Bought iphone not long ago and I am so dissappointed its useless! The internet doesn`t work half th time not much good when I need it. I can`t use my music as a ringtone the bluetooth only works with apple headsets. It lacks what I would consider basic feathure for a phone. O2 are the worst they are absolute so and so`s. I was with meteor before this and I would never recommend anyone move to o2. DON`T BUY THE IPHONE!:mad::(

lol, its a piece of piss

you should have waited a bit for newer generations

just look at the orig ipod and the newer ones, and even the new ones are still crap compared to other mp3 players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Bought iphone not long ago and I am so dissappointed its useless! The internet doesn`t work half th time not much good when I need it. I can`t use my music as a ringtone the bluetooth only works with apple headsets. It lacks what I would consider basic feathure for a phone. O2 are the worst they are absolute so and so`s. I was with meteor before this and I would never recommend anyone move to o2. DON`T BUY THE IPHONE!:(

It doesnt sound like you did any research on the Iphone itself and only have one person to blame for that. A lot of money wasted on a fashion accessory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Victor_M wrote: »

WinAmp is the best media player I have used but iTunes has improved massively over the years.

I think it's hilarious all these haters/Anti fanboy's dismissing anyone who buys an iPhone as nothing but dedicated followers of fashion, whether you like to admit it or not, they are a superb device, better than almost every other hand-held device out there.

With, and this is a big with, the potential to get better as new software is released which is more than can be said for the vast majority of other phones.

Huh?
    This very thread was, it'd seem, started by one of those overwhelmed 'followers of fashion' (no offence, OP)...

And apple are the only company updating software? Hahaha... Do you know how many Samsung P2 firmwares there have been? Updates that actually fix bugs and add features. Nokia's updates? FP5 is what, just like s40, or what are you saying?
    And if apple didn't want to bamboozle tech-newbs, why spend more money on PR than on R&D?

engrish? wrote: »
    You're nonsense.

Why do I think someone would like to see my pint? When its 11am on a Tuesday, raining & cold in Dublin and I'm sitting in a beer garden somewhere sunny overlooking the beach? They probably wouldnt but I would find it funny.

well I think his point on phones for 10yr olds is valid so?

• Advertisement

Winamp is the dogs testie's :)

It's everything Itunes isn't.

big,bulky,slow,resource hog...I don't know, how long do you have.

I think the Iphone is a fantastic device if you have a use for one I don't recall stating otherwise.

What I take issue with is morons buying one because they're "cool" then realising the phone doesn't do what they want it do and blowing out of their rear ends when in fact they didn't research the type of phone they needed.

that's blind retarded consumerism retardation nothing more nothing less..

this is nothing to do with being a fan boy or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'd argue that iTunes has gotten progressively worse over the years. It's morphed from an efficient light weight player to a level of bloatware that Redmond would be proud of- pushing people to alternatives such as Songbird.

I'm no fan of the iPhone. For me it's become a symbol of the decline in Apple over the past few years. The issues regarding mms, c&p are symptomatic of Jobs arrogance and unwillingness to listen to what his customers want. Same can be said for the "bag of hurt" that is Blu-ray in the Macs. What's most annoying for me is the enormous potential I can see in the device - far more so that it currently has.

I'd argue that iTunes has gotten progressively worse over the years. It's morphed from an efficient light weight player to a level of bloatware that Redmond would be proud of- pushing people to alternatives such as Songbird.

Some sense enters the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Unfortunately, there is a lot of mis-information, nonsense and downright stupidity in this thread.

I fully believe people who purchase something just because it looks cool, without researching if it will meet their needs, deserve all the crap they get.

I am far from a fanboy of the iPhone. I research, used, and almost bought a n95. That was, until I got my hands on an iPhone. I played with it, I was fully aware of it's shortcomings, knowing full well, no device is perfect. And now I love it. Call me crazy, but I bought the phone knowing what it could and could not do.
    I'm no fan of the iPhone. For me it's become a symbol of the decline in Apple over the past few years. The issues regarding mms, c&p are symptomatic of Jobs arrogance and unwillingness to listen to what his customers want

A decline? Seriously. Take off your European phone user hat for a minute, and look at it through the eyes of an American. When the iPhone was being designed, they didn't know what MMS was, hell, they didn't even know what SMS was. Hence the reason MMS fell way down on the list of priorities.

Was the lack of copy and paste a design decision because they couldn't get it to feel intuitive? Or was it an oversight? Methinks it was the former.

I will say it again, the iPhone was designed as a music player/internet device that can also make phonecalls, not the other way round. If you look at it from that perspective, it is a damn good device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The handy thing about the iPhone is that it's running a full OS that is updated via syncing with iTunes, it means that features can be added.

I strongly suspect that SMS support will be improved and MMS support added as they're getting a hell of a lot of feedback from European iPhone users and European mobile operators too. I doubt O2 is keen on not having MMS as it's a revenue stream. That being said, I could live quite happily with out MMS.

The iPhone is a fantastic device in the areas where it does excel:
    • Its an excellent music player and has everything that an iPod has.
    • Its web browsing is the best I've seen on a mobile device.
    • Email's best I've seen on any mobile device, it's much nicer to use than any blackberry I've used.
    • Synchronisation with your address book's seamless via iTunes etc
    • Phone functionality's as good as anything else.
    • User interface is fantastic
    • Range of applications is excellent and they're exceptionally easy to get via the iTunes store. Yes, it's closed, but it's very easy to use relative to finding and downloading java apps for your J2ME phone.

It's not perfect, but no mobile is.

If you do have an iPhone PLEASE feedback information to Apple about how to fix the SMS / MMS etc The more people shouting the more likely they are to do something about it.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Unfortunately, there is a lot of mis-information, nonsense and downright stupidity in this thread.

I fully believe people who purchase something just because it looks cool, without researching if it will meet their needs, deserve all the crap they get.

I am far from a fanboy of the iPhone. I research, used, and almost bought a n95. That was, until I got my hands on an iPhone. I played with it, I was fully aware of it's shortcomings, knowing full well, no device is perfect. And now I love it. Call me crazy, but I bought the phone knowing what it could and could not do.

A decline? Seriously. Take off your European phone user hat for a minute, and look at it through the eyes of an American. When the iPhone was being designed, they didn't know what MMS was, hell, they didn't even know what SMS was. Hence the reason MMS fell way down on the list of priorities.

Was the lack of copy and paste a design decision because they couldn't get it to feel intuitive? Or was it an oversight? Methinks it was the former.

I will say it again, the iPhone was designed as a music player/internet device that can also make phonecalls, not the other way round. If you look at it from that perspective, it is a damn good device.

I think the main point against your outlook on the iPhone is that it was never marketed or designed as a "music player/internet device that can also make phonecalls", Apple spent a fortune marketing the iPhone as a jack-of-all-trades handset that could play music, play video, connect to the Internet, make phone calls, send/receive email, IM chat, play games, download applications, GPS navigation... and the list goes on.

I appreciate your reasoning for buying an iPhone and that you knew what you were buying, unlike the many that didn't, but I still find the general consensus of iPhone users bought one without fully realising and understanding its capabilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimmychin

best phone i've ever had!

its the first 'phone' that i've kept for more than a 1year as i normally change every year becasue technology moves so fast.

the only thing it cant do is "bluetooth" - but i dont need this.

everything else everyone has mentioned can be done.
    cut&paste- yes, mms- yes, videorecorder- yes

i was never into apple/ipod because i dont buy things because of the label.
    it was just another mp3 player and at the time my phone could hold mp3's so i didnt need two devices.

i looked at the n96 as i would like a camera with flash but its not about the megapixels.

no device out there at the moment that can compete IMHO

Rsaeire wrote: »
    I think the main point against your outlook on the iPhone is that it was never marketed or designed as a "music player/internet device that can also make phonecalls", Apple spent a fortune marketing the iPhone as a jack-of-all-trades handset that could play music, play video, connect to the Internet, make phone calls, send/receive email, IM chat, play games, download applications, GPS navigation... and the list goes on.

Do you believe everything advertisers tell you? ;)

I appreciate your reasoning for buying an iPhone and that you knew what you were buying, unlike the many that didn't, but I still find the general consensus of iPhone users bought one without fully realising and understanding its capabilities.

It doesn't really matter what Apple market it as the responsibility is on the consumer to research the market to find what fits them best. The biggest part of that is ignoring apple's hype and getting some actual facts on the phone and other phone's to make an informed decision.

Should you fork out a huge amount of money for something that doesn't do what's most important to you well then you're at fault not apple and not the phone....

I would say about 65% of Iphone users and probably a lot more in ireland don't need and will rarley use a huge amount of feature's that the Iphone has but will moan and groan about sms functionality and lack of MMS etc

well really, buy a f*cking phone that does what you need when you need it and does it well and stop p|ssing around with gadgets you have no need for just so ye can plonk it on the table in starbucks having a mocka while your mother shouts down the phone at you to go home and do your homework..

and she'd be right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

OP-

You are dissapointed with the iPhone.

just blend it!

• Advertisement

Winamp is the dogs testie's :)

It's everything Itunes isn't.

big,bulky,slow,resource hog...I don't know, how long do you have.

I think the Iphone is a fantastic device if you have a use for one I don't recall stating otherwise.

What I take issue with is morons buying one because they're "cool" then realising the phone doesn't do what they want it do and blowing out of their rear ends when in fact they didn't research the type of phone they needed.

that's blind retarded consumerism retardation nothing more nothing less..

this is nothing to do with being a fan boy or not.

In fairness I think you have nailed it there, sorry if I implied you were a fanboy it was meant in general terms not aimed at you, but you are right I bought my one knowing full well what it could and more importantly couldn't do (at the moment most of what it currently can't do can be corrected with firmware updates).

I don't doubt there are a lot of people who bought it for it's fashionista element, particularly those who bought the 1st gen one, at the initial price for a device without 3G or GPS was ridiculous, I didn't even contemplate one with those 2 major shortcomings.

So I wholeheartedly agree with you, if you are stupid enough to buy any expensive device/brand without at least researching the basics and checking to see if it meets your requirements then you deserve to be parted with your cash and won't get much sympathy around here.

Do you believe everything advertisers tell you? ;)
    It doesn't really matter what Apple market it as the responsibility is on the consumer to research the market to find what fits them best. The biggest part of that is ignoring apple's hype and getting some actual facts on the phone and other phone's to make an informed decision.

Should you fork out a huge amount of money for something that doesn't do what's most important to you well then you're at fault not apple and not the phone....

I would say about 65% of Iphone users and probably a lot more in ireland don't need and will rarley use a huge amount of feature's that the Iphone has but will moan and groan about sms functionality and lack of MMS etc

well really, buy a f*cking phone that does what you need when you need it and does it well and stop p|ssing around with gadgets you have no need for just so ye can plonk it on the table in starbucks having a mocka while your mother shouts down the phone at you to go home and do your homework..

and she'd be right!

From your replies, I would say you both missed my point. I am aware of how Apple marketed the iPhone, I am also aware of what the iPhone can 'actually' do and I am also aware that the majority of the users who bought an iPhone do not. In turn,the onus is on the consumers who bought an iPhone and who are now disillusioned, to take responsibility for their own actions and that they bought one on, what it seems like, a whim, or because they thought they would like it because others like it.

I can appreciate what the iPhone can do, and I can also appreciate what it cannot do. For others, they need to educate themselves before making any future purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭drakshug

I'm satisfied with my i phone. I always have the net and can zoom in which I couldn't do on my mobile. I don't like i tunes so only use it for updates. For music I use songbird.
    I had reviews so wasn't expecting a mini computer but it does more than any other phone and has had no problems so I'm happy.

From your replies, I would say you both missed my point.

Not at all, I was just trying to be funny. :)
    I think the main point against your outlook on the iPhone is that it was never marketed or designed as a "music player/internet device that can also make phonecalls", Apple spent a fortune marketing the iPhone as a jack-of-all-trades handset that could play music, play video, connect to the Internet, make phone calls, send/receive email, IM chat, play games, download applications, GPS navigation...

To recap on your point, I do use it to play music, video, connet to the internet, send/receive email and IM. I'm only using a 2G phone at the moment (until Christmas ;)), but when I do upgrade, I will be using it for all of what you mention in your post above.

I think what you don't mention, is the phone facilities that we here in Europe have come to expect from a top of the range phone, namely MMS, decent camera, text forwarding and copy and paste. I don't believe these were marketed at all, dare I say, there were glossed over. Therefore it became a case of European customers expectations not being the same as US customers, therefore lots more of uninformed European customers being annoyed with Apple.

That is really where the problem is European vs. US expectations, coupled with blindly purchasing a high-technology device, without fully researching it's shortcomings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

I bought mine in UK on O2

its 159 £ for 16GB phone

plus 35 pounds per months

600 min
    600 txts

Unlimited internet. not this is really unlimited no small print etc.
    I have downloaded 30 to 40 video podcasts a day + applications & browsing etc

the service here from UK o2 is fantastic
    they have a seperate department for Iphone queries.

totally satisfied so far.
    Works brilliantly.

I think mainly you guys are having issues with O2 as the phone depends a lot on network strength and etc

also to mention its my first product and i used to be very much anti apple :)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭drakshug

mms - never used it on mobile so don't miss it and can send stuff by email anyway. I have skype on my iphone and joost and utube etc. The apps make it for me.
    I use the net heavily but still haven't hit my limit with o2.ie. Then again I use wifi as much as poss. Why not when you can? As I said before I read the reviews. If I'd wanted an mms phone I'd have gone for something else. The iphone does what I want but I'd really want a gphone or moko but the providers here don't do em and..........ya know, I don't blame the providers. I blame the public for putting up with crap broadband and crap mobile charges and letting them get away with it. I had 4 mbit broadband five years ago in the baltics. It was standard. Here you pay through the nose for 3. Sheep!!! Moan but don't use your consumer power.

Not at all, I was just trying to be funny. :)
    "Trying" I guess is the operative word. :p
    That is really where the problem is European vs. US expectations, coupled with blindly purchasing a high-technology device, without fully researching it's shortcomings.

That's a very valid point Tom. I remember when the Motorola V3 came out in the states, it was the only handset people seemed to have; other than those silver, clamshell handsets with an aerial. You'd see the V3 on TV shows, in music videos and movies etc... pretty much everywhere, and nobody seemed to care that the screen quality was rubbish, it only had a VGA camera, no memory card slot etc. In comparison, Europeans had handsets with high quality screens, 1.3 or 2MP cameras and memory card slots available at the same time.

A similar situation has occurred with the iPhone. Yes it has great features, but it also has a lot of failures and based on past trends, handsets that are fashion accessories sell well. This trend won't last long though as American's are looking for more and more features that are available on European handsets. With the gap between an American handset release and a European release getting closer by the year, we may see the American's crying foul, like a lot of Europeans, when a manufacturer attempts to sell a handset with an average feature set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Mrspinkbunny

WOW THE LENGHTS O2 WILL GO TO TO STOP ANY NEGATIVE PRESS!
    HI O2 HAPPY XMAS !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

HI O2 HAPPY XMAS !

what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

HI O2 HAPPY XMAS !

Run that by me again?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement