Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

removing tape on pvc windows?

• 08-12-2008 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

hello everyone. i'm a new user with an annoying problem, i just know someone else will have gone through this!
    our pvc windows with wood finish have been in for over a year and we didn't attempt to remove the tape on the frames until now. it's so weathered it's just flaking off in tiny bits. it will take forever at this rate.have tried scrubbers, white spirits, paint remover and scraper. any ideas guys?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Spray a little WD40 on the tape, then scrape/wipe the tape away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

A hair dryer or hot water is the best bet dont put oil on the pvc

• Registered Users Posts: 4 joeyboey

wd40 works great on the tape's sticky residue on the glass but doesn't do a thing for the frames. hot water also didn't do anything. i heard petrol works?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

This type of query has been discussed many, many times here and elsewhere. WD40 or White Spirit will remove any of the common solvent adhesive residues associated with labels and tapes normally found on window glass and frames. But you'll have to allow the solvent time to act on the residue and elbow grease is required! I've removed old residues from 10 year old windows using white spirit and some gentle scraping. You can commercial cleaning solvents designed for the purpose also but I wouldn't like to use them on a wood grain PVC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 joeyboey

i'm not afraid of a bit of hard work! it's just with the cold dark evenings time isn't on my side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

joeyboey wrote: »
    it's just with the cold dark evenings time isn't on my side.

I know, I'm battling with a few jobs like that myself at the moment. I just find that cleaning windows properly is actually very time consuming.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 leonard toy

Hi
    We are really frustrated trying to remove tape. Our clever builders plastered our woodgrain pvc windows with isover airtightness tape and we have spent four weekends trying to remove it to no avail. (It's designed to stick for 60 years!!!) We've tried everything, white spirits, surgical spirits, wd40, soap, steam.....
    It keeps breaking off when we pull it, so we can even get the tape off. The man from Moy Isover said to try hot soapy water, but it doesn't work. Does anyone have the same problem? Does anyone have a solution please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

Google 'cosmofen'. Works a treat on white pvc frames but I wouldn't be sure about pvc woodgrain.

It's solvent based.

I suppose you could try on the least conspicuous spot.

Thanks. Will check it out immediately!!

Hi CBYR1983

I have searched online for Cosmofen and even e-mailed the company who make it, but I can't seem to find a supplier who will deliver to Ireland.

Do you know where I might be able to get it please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

Pm sent.

Advertisement