Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere still selling pork??

Options
  • 08-12-2008 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

The supermarkets near me have all taken products of the selves but I am trying to get some for during the week! Does anyone know if there is any place on the southside(Dublin) that is still selling? Or are they all forced to take em off?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If they are, they shouldn't be. The FSA has ordered that all Irish produced pork products be removed from sale.

This doesn't effect imported products though. So you could find places selling NI, British, or other sourced products. The majority of shops only stock Irish though, so it could be hard to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

I'm sure Aldi and Lidl will be selling bacon. Most of their meat is foreign sourced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

McD are still selling burgers with BACON on them.

But I don't think it Irish bacon, if it is "real" bacon anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

BOFH_139 wrote: »

Yip, got a "Big Tasty" last night and it was lush. Didn't bother me where the piggy came from. Yum Yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

I got some ham in Aldi today. I didn't check to see what other pork products they had. There was a big gap in the shelving though where they had taken off the Irish pork products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Marks and Spencers source alot from the uk so there prob still selling also Lidl I think are too.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

McD are still selling burgers with BACON on them.....

So why enphasise the bacon bit in a bit tabloidy way:confused:

I just ate the last bit of pork left in the house :mad: it was a lovely chop.

Ireally wish I'd stocked up before all this ****. Going to have to keep high stock levels of meat products all the time in future in case this sort of crap happens again.

My local Spar have bacon today, with special stickers on them saying they're sourced in Denmark, so no problems with them.

Anyway, I'm off downstairs now to make a lovely chicken and ham roll. Ah, pre-scare ham, when nobody else has any, could it get any sweeter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Ireally wish I'd stocked up before all this ****. Going to have to keep high stock levels of meat products all the time in future in case this sort of crap happens again.

+ 1 to this. At least then we can choose when not to eat health-riskless meat products. And in this, a free county! ha! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Cant wait to head up to the butchers and buy a rake of rashers/sausages/chops .... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I have heard that some suppliers will have stuff back in shops by Wednesday. Maybe not every shop, as it would probably be difficult to provide a full new supply to the entire country all at once. But there should be some out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I got a cracking pork curry last night in Tipp Town... Yes im an adrenaline junkie!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I thought in light of legal proceedings we weren't to mention McD........badum tssssshhhhhhhh.....I thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Serge

What about Lidl, i have pork from Denmark and german ham. Are they ok? Have anyone been to Lidl?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

My local Centra didn't have any pork but they were still selling Clonakilty Black Pudding, I thought black pudding was made from pigs blood?

DonJose wrote: »
    My local Centra didn't have any pork but they were still selling Clonakilty Black Pudding, I thought black pudding was made from pigs blood?

Could be cows' blood...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

All McDonalds bacon and pork is sourced from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

I think a lot of people are going to be surprised to see a lot of 'Irish' products still on the shelves - even some which are Bord Bia certified. Just because it's got an Irish placename on it doesn't necessarily mean it's made in Ireland, folks.

shellyboo wrote: »
    I think a lot of people are going to be surprised to see a lot of 'Irish' products still on the shelves - even some which are Bord Bia certified. Just because it's got an Irish placename on it doesn't necessarily mean it's made in Ireland, folks.
    What are you talking about, I havent seen ANY Irish Pork products on shelves, let alone "a lot" still on shelves! Where are you getting this from?

I think shellyboo's point is in relation to the fact that Irish produced, doesn't necessarily mean it's actually Irish. Produced, just means it's packaged here, the actual food could be from anywhere in the world. For example, Ireland is one of the biggest producers of bananas in Europe.

In the case of this pork scare though, it's not going to make a difference where the meat was sourced. There is no traceability in pork production, unlike beef, so even though only 10% of animals were actually fed the contaminated food, all of the meat had to be recalled as they have no idea what's what, once the animals are slaughtered.

• Advertisement

Looking at the news today ,it's only shelved meats packed that are not available.
    Butchers seem to be able to sell their traceable meat.
    Did I get this right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

shellyboo wrote: »
    Just because it's got an Irish placename on it doesn't necessarily mean it's made in Ireland, folks.
    But what if the Irish packer was smoking. The toxins from this would contaminate the meat. :D

Boo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

311 wrote: »
    Looking at the news today ,it's only shelved meats packed that are not available.
    Butchers seem to be able to sell their traceable meat.
    Did I get this right ?

i would be surprised, the movement of irish pork products has been banned and anyone found flouting this law faces severe punishment regardless of where it comes from.

I was talking to a producer today and he get his pigs from 3 farms where they dont get supplied by the meal company at the middle of all this and he cannot so much as move a sausage around the factory he had to lay off all his workers.

many butchers have started selling danish and Dutch products.

boopolo wrote: »
    But what if the Irish packer was smoking. The toxins from this would contaminate the meat. :D

Boo

there was probably more toxins produced by the desil engine used by the truck that carried the pigs over their lifetime.

i would be surprised, the movement of irish pork products has been banned and anyone found flouting this law faces severe punishment regardless of where it comes from.

I was talking to a producer today and he get his pigs from 3 farms where they dont get supplied by the meal company at the middle of all this and he cannot so much as move a sausage around the factory he had to lay off all his workers.

many butchers have started selling danish and Dutch products.

Don't know what I seen so ,thanks for clearing that up.
    Must have been foriegn meat ,I'd rather just wait for irish meat and not start using anything else.

anyone found flouting this law faces severe punishment

Actually just thought of something.
    What are the chances that somebody will actuall be jailed for this? They should be, but i don't think they will.

And I know the Gardaí and the PSNI are investigating, but you know and I know that means sweet F.A. besides some good P.R that they're actually "doing something".

Actually just thought of something.
    What are the chances that somebody will actuall be jailed for this? They should be, but i don't think they will.

And I know the Gardaí and the PSNI are investigating, but you know and I know that means sweet F.A. besides some good P.R that they're actually "doing something".

the punishment can be anything from a fine to closure of your business.

Don't know what I seen so ,thanks for clearing that up.
    Must have been foriegn meat ,I'd rather just wait for irish meat and not start using anything else.

waiting for irish meat? dont it might take a while.

I suppose butchers need to earn a living aswell ,it's just an awful shame theres so much product out there that is going to waste.

Talking about it at home here earlier and wondering how long the pork takes to settle after it's slaughtered?
    Does it take a couple of days before the meat can be used ?

• Advertisement

I suppose butchers need to earn a living aswell ,it's just an awful shame theres so much product out there that is going to waste.

Talking about it at home here earlier and wondering how long the pork takes to settle after it's slaughtered?
    Does it take a couple of days before the meat can be used ?

rashers and sausages can be back on the shelf in 3 days from kill to shelf, the ham would take a little longer as it has to be cured and as for smoked add on another few days on top of that.

Advertisement