Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere still selling pork??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Cheers GerryCollins ,hopefully things will get going soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

311 wrote: »
    Cheers GerryCollins ,hopefully things will get going soon.

it wont the producers are going to refuse to produce until they are compensated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

What are you talking about, I havent seen ANY Irish Pork products on shelves, let alone "a lot" still on shelves! Where are you getting this from?

I didn't say Irish, I said "Irish". As in, products purporting to be Irish when they are not.
    jor el wrote: »
    I think shellyboo's point is in relation to the fact that Irish produced, doesn't necessarily mean it's actually Irish. Produced, just means it's packaged here, the actual food could be from anywhere in the world. For example, Ireland is one of the biggest producers of bananas in Europe.

Jor el summed up exactly what I meant... but anyway, here's a news story to back me up...
    Retailers rush to source foreign bacon to meet demand
    Withdrawal highlights non-Irish ‘Irish’ pork products

Irish retailers have rushed to the European market to source bacon and pork products from Continental producers in an attempt to meet consumer demand for pork.
    In some cases, retailers were already sourcing some private label pork from the UK, however sources told RI that there has been a ‘frantic’ rush to get pork products from European producers to meet market demand.
    Meanwhile, the pork scandal has exposed a number of products on sale from big-name brands which many Irish consumers assume are Irish but in fact contain meat from other countries.
    Retail Intelligence was able to procure a number of items on sale yesterday from some of the biggest branded manufacturers in Ireland. These products, all of which contain pork, come from manufacturers who use the Bord Bia Quality ‘Q’ Mark on certain products in their portfolios but not for others.
    This has long been a bugbear for the IFA, with Bord Bia also working to promote the Q Mark and increase awareness of its meaning, however the widespread withdrawal of Irish-produced pork products has inadvertently highlighted the seemingly Irish products which are not in fact produced in this country.

it wont the producers are going to refuse to produce until they are compensated.

I didnt realise that producers supplied butchers ,I thought this was all factory and processed related stuff.:o

So butchers get the carcasses the same way that process plants get theirs ,from producers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

alot of butchers have there own abators.. if there worth anything that is... so they are able to trace back where most of there meat came from... where as the big guys would have 1000s of animals coming in every day so wouldent know which came from where...

I have yet to find a good butchers in dublin.. down the country my local one down there is great best meat in the country and has own alot of awards...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Butchers in Finglas selling rashers, sausages and yum yum white pudding today. Has a cert from DCC Vet confirming it is safe to eat!

Great news ,stock up on fry supplies so:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Serge wrote: »
    What about Lidl, i have pork from Denmark and german ham. Are they ok? Have anyone been to Lidl?

Was in lidl tonight and Lidl have their shelf's full of bacon and hams, most coming from the UK with ham slices seem to be from Denmark

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    Was in lidl tonight and Lidl have their shelf's full of bacon and hams, most coming from the UK with ham slices seem to be from Denmark
    Ironic seeing as how we supply(until very recently) Denmark with our own pork and pig-meat products.

Advertisement