Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Trading In" your house?

Options
  • 08-12-2008 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Has anyone been able to do this yet?

Thinking about it and it seems to make sense for a Developer/Builder as they can reduce the value of their stock and get some cash in the bank.

I'd love to get a much more expensire house then the one I'm in at the moment but could not be bothered with all the hassle of selling my own. If I got a reasonable valuation I'd be happy to trade up.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Robertr wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to do this yet?

Thinking about it and it seems to make sense for a Developer/Builder as they can reduce the value of their stock and get some cash in the bank.

I'd love to get a much more expensire house then the one I'm in at the moment but could not be bothered with all the hassle of selling my own. If I got a reasonable valuation I'd be happy to trade up.

It was possible up until the budget, when taxation policy on the matter was reviewed. You now have to pay stamp duty on the transaction, despite the fact that no cash may have changed hands......

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Wouldn't mind paying the stamp as you would have to anyway if you managed to sell your house and buy another.

Go for it then- there are a number of schemes out there in the open market catering to what you're proposing.

You know of any in particular?

It came up previously in this thread (in relation to "luxury" homes)- but its something I'd broach with any developer in the current market.

• Advertisement

I've banged off a few emails for North Wicklow developments so we'll see what comes back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

I've banged off a few emails for North Wicklow developments so we'll see what comes back.

Ooohhh.....Im really interested to hear their replies. :)

I'm a big fan of "If you don't ask, you won't get it....."
    Seriously- I wish more people would simply ask for discounts or swaps/exchanges like this. We have some sort of a psyche in Ireland whereby its considered impolite to ask for discounts...... I get freebies even grocery shopping, as a result of asking- I've enough Special K to see me through to February........

Do post back and let us know what the outcome is.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭321654

A guy i work with swapped his house in California with a guy here who wanted to move there about 3 months ago. I think its a great idea. He seems very happy with the trade. No fx charges and much less hassle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Any word back on this?

• Advertisement

Nothing!

Advertisement