Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Change to Diesel???

Options
  • 08-12-2008 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

I worked out the mpg for my car and its 37.88mpg (02 1.4ltr VW Bora)

Im considering changing to diesel maybe a passat or A4 what with the great prices and plus im doing a nice bit of milage for work 250+ miles a week

I know i will be paying €250 extra on road tax for 1.9tdi

Is it practical to change and will it make much of a difference to my pocket???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

You could probably pick up a a new model TDI passat or A4 pretty reasonalble..

I'm not sure what your budget is, but here is an example: http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Passat/1.9TDI-C/200840190245273/advert

I'm driving a 98 TDI Passat and the best I've had is 59MPG, but thats driving very carefully. Worst I've had is 45 and average is around 51-52, so its light on the juice.

Your only doing 13k a year by the sounds of it, which is pretty low, but you would be getting at least 10 extra miles per gallon, probably 15 from the diesel, plus you'd have some more power than the bora. I recommend doing your sums and seeing if it makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭jonathan11

Having a quiet day at work.... ;)

250 miles per week => 13000 miles per year

1.4 petrol: 38mpg => 8.3 miles / euro => €1566 per year
    1.9 tdi: 52mpg => 11.45 miles / euro => €1135 per year

Cost saving €431 per year based on €1/L and the mpg figures yourself and paul supplied. Subtract €250 for tax increase and that makes a €180 saving. Insurance might go up a tiny bit too depending on your age. Not a big difference really but as paul said the tdi is a good engine, lots more poke.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,248 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

jonathan11 wrote: »
    Having a quiet day at work.... ;)

250 miles per week => 13000 miles per year

1.4 petrol: 38mpg => 8.3 miles / euro => €1566 per year
    1.9 tdi: 52mpg => 11.45 miles / euro => €1135 per year

Cost saving €431 per year based on €1/L and the mpg figures yourself and paul supplied. Subtract €250 for tax increase and that makes a €180 saving. Insurance might go up a tiny bit too depending on your age. Not a big difference really but as paul said the tdi is a good engine, lots more poke.

Don't forget that you pay a premium for a diesel car over a similar petrol car too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

bazz26 wrote:
    Don't forget that you pay a premium for a diesel car over a similar petrol car too.
    You usually get that premium back when you go to sell the car.

I'd go for the diesel, the extra poke will make driving a lot easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

bazz26 wrote: »

Insurance is usually cheaper on a 1.9TDI vs a 1.4 Petrol .. don't know why, just in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

PaulKK wrote: »
    Worst I've had is 45 and average is around 51-52,

Are you serious?!

I would average around 42MPG and can easily get about 32MPG if I'm driving in the city. That's with a Passat TDi 130. I think we might have different engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Are you serious?!

I would average around 42MPG and can easily get about 32MPG if I'm driving in the city. That's with a Passat TDi 130. I think we might have different engines.

Yup, mine is only a 90 though. I don't do a whole pile of city driving, but I do a bit alright. I do highish milage in a year though (25k miles) and quite a few long journeys so maybe that helps.

Advertisement