Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundproofing ventilation grille

Options
  • 08-12-2008 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭

Our bedroom has a standard plastic ventilation grille on the side wall, with a standard metal grille on the outside. At certain times, it seems to let in a lot of noise.

It's an upstairs bedroom, but sometimes at night if there's people talking out on the road, you'd swear that they were just outside the vent. When a neighbour's dog barks, the cat sits intently looking up at the vent, expecting the dog to burst in at any second. If a taxi pulls up outside and opens a door, we can sing along to the radio.

We don't have any problems with sound coming in the windows - it's just this grille.

What I'm looking for is some kind of soundproofing that will still allow ventilation - I don't want to block the vent off completely.

I remember seeing on some home improvement programme last year a vent setup that was supposed to reduce noise (it was a UK show, and I think they said it cost about £100) but I haven't been able to track any thing like it down.

Has anyone come across a solution to this issue?

Advertisement