Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting- single glazing

Options
  • 08-12-2008 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

I've seen a well turned out 70s/80s 3-bed bungalow with a garage that's nice and private that appears to be ideal for me. It's got single glazing, though. Maybe I'm just over sensitized to it, working in glazing business. The house is €800 a month- is this a deal breaker or is it just scope for haggling?? How will it affect me in the new year with the new energy regs for rentals??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

As far as I can glean from various websites the new regulations you speak of will work like this -

The landlord will need to provide a BER (Building Energy Rating) certificate for all prospective tenants. He will be responsible for organising this. If you go to rent off an agent or landlord you have the right to ask to know what the property's energy rating is, and they by law have to show it to you. But all this will tell you is - a bit like the labels you see on household appliances - whether the property is rated A, A2, A3, B1, B2, etc etc. It is then up to you to decide if you want to go ahead with renting the property given that a property with a lower rating will have a higher carbon footprint (and by inference will be less energy efficient) that that with a higher rating.

Bear in mind though that some new houses with thousands of euro pumped into them in the form of triple glazing, double the amount of insulation required, and a renewable energy solution like a wood pellet boiler will still only get to an A3 or B2 rating, so I would expect to see a helluva lot of rental properties with ratings waaaaaay below this.

The BER assesor wil have given the landlord suggestions as to how to improve the rating - by measures like installing double glazing, retro-fitting cavity wall insulation, etc., but as yet I don't think there is any onus on the landlord to act on these suggestions. So the only real advantage for a tenant here is that they have a standardised rating system to consult, not a landlord standing there going ''ah yeah, tis a bit cold in here alright but once the heatin is on it'll be nice and cosy'', all the while you are looking at your breath and shivering......

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 30 plumlover

I have been renting for 6 years this May, the house has large windows (which are not double glazed) which allow all the heat out. It feels as if I am living in an ice-box.

The house has not been updated or maintained to any satisfactory order since I moved in. It needs new carpet, to be re-painted, lights fixed.

We have asked for furniture to be removed to no avail.

It is so much hassle to contact the agent my landlord uses we have pretty much given up.

I like this house, but it is cold and in need of repair. The only time anything gets fixed it is the result of constant harrassment aswell as the kids taking time off school or I work to let the belated repair man in.

Is there anywhere I can find a definative list of tenant rights, enforceable by law?

Every other house on our street has double glazing at this point, and I would bet my non-existant pension fund that every house in this estate does also.

Am I entitled to double-glazing. The house is beyond freezing.As usual.

Any help is much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Single glazing keeps the rain out, and lets the heat escape. Look here for another post here about someone living in single glazing

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I would be most surprised if you were in fact entitled to double glazing. The fact of the matter is that you rented the house "as-is". Certainly it should be kept in a reasonable state of repair- but there is no way on earth that this would extend to double glazing....... You are of course perfectly within your rights to move somewhere more to your liking- and the supply of rental accommodation has shot up- so you can be sure you would find somewhere before long......

From January onwards, landlords are required to provide new tenants with a BER (Building Energy Rating Certificate) which will classify accommodation in a manner similar to a fridge/freezer (A1, A2-E3 etc). This is for information purposes only though- it does not in any manner indicate an entitlement to have additional insulation/double glazing or any other remedial work done to the property. Its simply so you will have an indication of the energy efficiency of the building- nothing more, nothing less. If its a less desireable property- perhaps you could use it when bargaining the rent- but there are no rights, actual or implied, associated with the new regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I would nearly be tempted to ask them if they want double glazing done!

Recently got a rental double-glazed (a good job for a pretty good price by tradesmen from NI). I think it was money well spent.

The BER which will be introduced next year is or should be in the back of landlords' minds now. The reality is that tenants are getting fussier as more modern accommodation comes onto the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

artyeva wrote: »
    Bear in mind though that some new houses with thousands of euro pumped into them in the form of triple glazing, double the amount of insulation required, and a renewable energy solution like a wood pellet boiler will still only get to an A3 or B2 rating, so I would expect to see a helluva lot of rental properties with ratings waaaaaay below this.
    Obviously its down to individual properties, but I was in an unoccuppied apartment building recently and most rooms were in the 25-35C bracket - purely from solar gain and the fact that apartments have fewer external surfaces than houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't thinks its an entitlement. You are entitled to some basic standards like running water, ability to provide heat, absense of damp, etc. You could talk to the housing department in the local council and ask them what standards they apply.

Advertisement