Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's freakin' Bob Dylan!

Options
  • 08-12-2008 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭

:eek: How has nobody talked about it yet?! Bob Dylan. Coming to Ireland. But I can't go cos of the fcuking leaving cert :( I have money for a ticket and all! Stupid education.... And my brother is going to Berlin to see him. I can't wait for this leaving cert melarkey to be finished.

Anyhoo, thoughts? Anyone going?

Edit: Ah bugger, move to Music forum please? Meant to post it there but both tabs were open and I got confuseded

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

saw him about 15 or more years ago at the rds,was the worst gig i have ever seen.
    was offered lots of cash for ticket out side should of taken it.

We werent even sure if it was bob on stage ,had his head covered with a hoodie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

Believe me, you're not missing anything.

I went to see him while I was in Vancouver in October and left after an hour. It was shockingly bad. Nobody had a clue what songs he was playing. He keeps chopping and changing the way he plays his songs and it's near impossible to tell what it is unless you can hear the lyrics clearly, which we couldn't either as the music was far too loud. His voice was never the best but now it can't carry at all.

I wasn't the only one who left either. Apparently the night before in New Brunswick a load of people left too.

I'd been looking forward to seeing him for years, it was very disappointing. Keep your money and go see someone else.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

A wee bit annoyed - I looked for 4 of the best available this morning and it offered me some for Block M; full whack for them too. I snapped them up because it was 20 past 9 and I figured they were selling fast.

Went on again today and there appeared to be 4 in Block E (the block closer to the stage than M) for the lower price of €50 each.

I appreciate they may have been held by someone when I was looking and then weren't bought - I can't appreciate why they're cheaper despite seeming to be better.

Either way, I'm happy enough because I'll finally get to see Dylan live and that's the more important thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Funnily enough, you guys tellin me he's crap doesn't help me at all! I think it's one of those lessons I'd like to learn on my own if there even is a lesson to be learned....

Jay P wrote: »
    Funnily enough, you guys tellin me he's crap doesn't help me at all! I think it's one of those lessons I'd like to learn on my own if there even is a lesson to be learned....

Yeah that's what I said. Have at it.

Besides, you asked for thoughts, and is anyone going. Well those are my thoughts and I went before so the only way anyone can help you is to get the leaving cert. postponed/moved, which probably won't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭hallelujah

Saw him once in the Point and couldn't make out the songs even though I saw the setlist afterwards and recognised the song titles.

Gave it another go a couple of years later, hoping the first was a once-off. Wasn't. It was slightly better as I knew what to expect but still poor. Very good musicians onstage but I only came to see Bob. His voice is very poor and crowd interaction is minimal at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

A gang of us saw him last about two years ago at the Point. 'Twas my first time seeing him and the other lads told me when they had seen him before that he played a good gig, but it wasn't what they had expected at all. We all thought the one I was there for was absolutely amazing.
    Ok as hallelujah just said, there was little or no crowd interaction, but IMO that is not massively important at a gig. There was more of a country twang with the set list, giving a new sound to all the songs he played. He was on the keys (I was hoping to see him with a guitar), and played a bit of the harp too. It was up there with my favourite gigs though, and as I said over on the Gigs fourm, I can't wait for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I've seen him twice, the first time was fantastic and the second time was so dire that I promised myself never, ever to buy a ticket to see him again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

John wrote: »
    I've seen him twice, the first time was fantastic and the second time was so dire that I promised myself never, ever to buy a ticket to see him again.

same. seen him in kilkenny, great. seen him in the point, not so great, kinda funny though, he didnt even look away from his keyboard once and had is side to the audience, weird but funny

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭rojerdandry

People go in with expectations that he's gonna sound like he did 40 years ago - and a lot of people who go to Dylan gigs will only know songs of his from 40 years ago anyway. Be forewarned and listen to some of his live tracks - I mean there must be in the region of thousands of them available - I know I have about thirty gigs of the stuff. If you don't know much of his music - or haven't bought an album of his that's more recent that 1980, then you really should'nt be going into his gigs with very particular expectations. I don't know how many poeple I've talked to who exit their first Bob gig, drunk and bawling 'that was sh**e, I couldn't tell one song from another'. Here's a tip: the quiet bits in between mean that the songs are over. He's a legend, and just because he doesn't sound like a radio edit doesn't mean he can't put on a good show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Saw him in the point in 2000 (iirc) and again in Kilkenny a few years back, both were great gigs if you like his newer stuff. If you don't, don't bother going. Imo, Love and Theft is among the best albums of the decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

People go in with expectations that he's gonna sound like he did 40 years ago - and a lot of people who go to Dylan gigs will only know songs of his from 40 years ago anyway. Be forewarned and listen to some of his live tracks - I mean there must be in the region of thousands of them available - I know I have about thirty gigs of the stuff. If you don't know much of his music - or haven't bought an album of his that's more recent that 1980, then you really should'nt be going into his gigs with very particular expectations. I don't know how many poeple I've talked to who exit their first Bob gig, drunk and bawling 'that was sh**e, I couldn't tell one song from another'. Here's a tip: the quiet bits in between mean that the songs are over. He's a legend, and just because he doesn't sound like a radio edit doesn't mean he can't put on a good show.

I'm well aware of all of that and I still think the last concert I attended was dreadful (the only moment I enjoyed was a version of "Man in the Long Black Coat"). I don't have to know the songs of a performer to enjoy them (best Neil Young gig I was at was the one where he played his new album at the time from start to finish without a single old song thrown in until he had finished the album). I prefer gigs where artists do stray from the usual kind of setlist or play variations on their well-known songs; the originals are on the album, I want to hear the artist play them as he wants to play them live. However, despite him re-jigging the songs all the time, he can sound so bored and detached from the whole thing which is not conducive to a good gig. I normally don't expect anything from Dylan but now I only expect to be disappointed.

You're making assumptions about the people who've gone and haven't liked him. This wasn't the case for me. I've been a fan for years and have all his recent stuff. He was rubbish, get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Saw him in Galway about, I don't know, 5 years ago?

Was painful.

Never again. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭crazzzzy

have my dublin ticket sorted...it'll be my first dylan concert :D hopefully get to amsterdam easter wkend aswell.

don't care if he doesnt sound the same as 20yrs ago....hes a legend & i love the way he keeps changing songs. oh roll on may....

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Bring it on!!!

i was debating going to bob dylan since, well its bob dylan!
    but i'm glad i've read this, from the sounds of it he's not good in concert.
    i kind of thought that though. Bob Dylan isn't famous for an amazing voice or being a great entertainer he's famous for his amazing song writing!!!

In fairness, the guy is fairly old. Personally, I wouldn't count on him being amazing, I'd just be in awe of the man himself. And I don;t agree with people saying "Oh, he should be playing all his old stuff. Blah blah blah." He can play what he wants. I was at a certain gig over the summer and lots of people were giving out about the fact they only played two or three of their old songs, instead they played their newer stuff. But I honestly couldn't care either way, it was still an amazing show, also the fact I love all their music. In the same way, I want to see Bob, I wouldn't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Leaving Cert? The gig is in May! Surely you can spare one night?

A tuesday! That would turn out to be that day and at least one more day off to recover! Then a few days to get back into the swing of it....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Sure he always plays Ireland.

He's sh!te live anyway. Really really sh!te. Only worth going to if you want to say you've seen him live. That's it really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Diggabot

:eek: How has nobody talked about it yet?! Bob Dylan. Coming to Ireland. But I can't go cos of the fcuking leaving cert :( I have money for a ticket and all! Stupid education.... And my brother is going to Berlin to see him. I can't wait for this leaving cert melarkey to be finished.

Anyhoo, thoughts? Anyone going?

Edit: Ah bugger, move to Music forum please? Meant to post it there but both tabs were open and I got confuseded

I saw him last time he played in the point and although I'd heard horror stories I wanted to go seeing as he's one of my heroes. All I can say is that he was simply brilliant. Although he changes how he performs his songs it's still amazing to hear them performed live. The man is a god :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

A tuesday! That would turn out to be that day and at least one more day off to recover! Then a few days to get back into the swing of it....

I take it you don't regularly go to gigs?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Saw him about 2 years ago, not great

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭rojerdandry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCrDDQroPl0

Jeebus Crisp - If you don't enjoy a gig it does't mean someone else won't. Going around telling people not to waste their money is a bit effin' presumptuous...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 jk47

he werent great in kilkenny few years back. played songs from his album that werent out yet. didnt create much of an atmosphere when people didnt know the songs. great artist, but maybe passed it a bit

Advertisement