Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for another Census?

Options
  • 08-12-2008 7:51pm
    Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

I was just looking back through the results of the last boards.ie Census here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=541.

I wonder how accurately that depicts the current situation on boards? I have a funny feeling there have been a lot of changes in demographics since 2005. I know it's a lot of work, but I'd volunteer to help out if I thought that would be any use.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I know it's a lot of work, but I'd volunteer to help out if I thought that would be any use.
    As would I.

I defintley think it's time to start looking into having another new census done. With the uprise of broadband in certain areas of the country and changes with lifestyle throughout the last few years mixed with the fact that in the last while Boards.ie is constantly beating it's "most ever online" records, it's defo something to consider.

Also changing trends in technology could also be a factor and would change how things are working out as well. At the end of the day, internet (especially in ireland) is changing rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Every 4 years and all that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

There was one done last year.

DeV published the results here.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Instead of asking age, ask year of birth, that means it isn't out of date after a few months and can still be added to.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah, I learned a lot about doing censuses by doing that haha...

Its not a bad idea, give me a few days to discuss it with the other admins but certainly it would be good to get a more detailed breakdown this time.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

DeVore wrote: »
    Its not a bad idea, give me a few days to discuss it with the other admins but certainly it would be good to get a more detailed breakdown this time.
    Good stuff!

If we're going to add a question on religious views (as we should!) can we ask that users do not let their mammy fill it in like the government census. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

You should also add to the Employment one.
    Unemployed and Self Employed should be options.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Terry wrote: »
    Unemployed and Self Employed should be options.
    ...and "business owner"?

And while we're at it, ask... "Have you met Stephen yet?"
    "If yes, has he tried to take your job yet?"

AH joke.... :)
    Stephen is the nickname for the recession

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If there is another census can someone fill in my sheet for me?
    Me and the missus are heading away for a bit of a break. We're off to Bethlehem, but due to the recession we can't afford flights etc so we are going in a more eco-friendly manner, by donkey. We hope to arrive just after the Winter Solstice but can't say for sure as we have no hotel bookings made yet. Hopefully we will get digs somewhere.

• Advertisement

Hagar wrote: »
    If there is another census can someone fill in my sheet for me?
    Me and the missus are heading away for a bit of a break. We're off to Bethlehem, but due to the recession we can't afford flights etc so we are going in a more eco-friendly manner, by donkey. We hope to arrive just after the Winter Solstice but can't say for sure as we have no hotel bookings made yet. Hopefully we will get digs somewhere.

Joseph, Is she pregnant?
    Wasn't expecting another messiah so soon... :p

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Looks like you've made an awful messiah missus there, Hagar.

Ahem, you'll have to pronounce the "i" in "messiah" as you would were it to read "ofy"...or something. :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hagar wrote: »
    Keep an eye for my 3 uncles. They're heading out for the duty free. They just love kids!

Advertisement