Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

digital media design course?

Options
  • 08-12-2008 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

any1 doing course, is it good, what can you do after it?
    can you do web designing, if so, wh for example?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

This thread was started only a few months ago...a quick search found it...what is it with new people not searching?

Anyhow, hope this can help http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055367238&highlight=digital+media+design

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

any1 doing course, is it good, what can you do after it?
    can you do web designing, if so, wh for example?

Did you read the prospectus? It says Web Designer under the career areas. What part of web design do you want to get into? The programming end would be a bit more technical than the graphic design area of it of course these two areas aren't mutually exclusive.

The course seems relatively light on the programming side of things but I may be wrong as I didn't do the course. Others should be able to give you better answers....and as Mossin said use the search function :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Diamond007

Little bit of exam stress making people a little snappy and unhelpful??

New people mightnt know about search option..

No need to be narky...:eek:

You can manually go through the pages on the forum to search for something.

Anyways, I was kind enough to do the search myself and post the other thread wasnt I?!
    That was being nice no?

Yes, yes... Very nice :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭sr. kila

interactive multimedia in tralee. this is the creative side of web designe.
    so if you have a vivid imagination than this is for you............ wel im going for it.

sr. kila wrote: »
    interactive multimedia in tralee. this is the creative side of web designe.
    so if you have a vivid imagination than this is for you............ wel im going for it.

This is the UL forum btw...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

half way threw second year and we have had one module dealing with web and database technology and one dealing with java

things have changed slightly but thats the general gist as far as web design goes so far. having said that html and the database stuff(think its called sql) are easy so you should be able to take them further yourself without too much hassle if thats what you want to do. i beleive there is a module next semester in a language that is the 'new language for web' and is apparently way better than html and i think it starts with a p i havnt really been thinking about next semester yet though so sorry for not remembering

most of the course is geared toward general interface design and theory on the affects of technology in society. this is because this is what the head of the course is into. there is digital audio and digital video modules aswell but nothing very in depth although they are interesting.

i am hard on the course even though i do like it as i think it could be way way better especially with the facilities ul has. it is only the 3rd year of its exsistence so they are constantly changing things around.

have you any specific questions i can answer instead of me just rambling and bitching instead of studying for my exam tomorrow?

Diamond007 wrote: »

I'm always narky :P

I'm not in UL anymore so no exam stress for me :)
    PeakOutput wrote: »
    half way threw second year and we have had one module dealing with web and database technology and one dealing with java

things have changed slightly but thats the general gist as far as web design goes so far. having said that html and the database stuff(think its called sql) are easy so you should be able to take them further yourself without too much hassle if thats what you want to do. i beleive there is a module next semester in a language that is the 'new language for web' and is apparently way better than html and i think it starts with a p i havnt really been thinking about next semester yet though so sorry for not remembering

Yes it's SQL (don't call it that other thing (sequel)). PHP perhaps, not a new language by any manner of means but it is one of the most widely used languages on the web. Any idea who's going to be teaching the module, I did a web dev module in Comp Sys and the lecturers covered ASP/ASP.net although we were given the choice to pick our own platform/language.

Mark Moore??

How's skydiving?

• Advertisement

Mark Moore??

How's skydiving?

eh and you know me how?

Are you all set for video tomor??

Your project was class, should have seen more of you in it tho ;)

Are you all set for video tomor??

Your project was class, should have seen more of you in it tho ;)

shut the **** up lol i really gotta take me picture off this site

Iv never seen your pic? Where is it??? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Iv never seen your pic? Where is it??? :p
    Mossin wrote: »
    You can manually go through the pages on the forum to search for something.
    What he said ^
    :p

so do i know you?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Search functions and PM! Use them and learn to love them. They might be a bit hard to find, but like finding the g-spot it's well worth the effort!

*leaves self open to a wide range of attack*

PHP would be the 'new web language' you're looking for, as Rmacm pointed out.

Peteee wrote: »

have you done it? tough / easy in comparison with java and html

have you done it? tough / easy in comparison with java and html

Yeah, sort of self taught (We did it for the aforemented asp.net project that myself, Rmacm and kaimera* did)

If you've done Java the syntax is quite similar.

Its easier then Java, but a lot tougher then HTML (Which is not a programming language)

*Spent his time bonking.

Its easier then Java, but a lot tougher then HTML (Which is not a programming language)

ye i know but for ease of discussion

any online resources for php?

• Advertisement

http://www.w3schools.com/PHP/php_intro.asp

Decent enough site.

php.net is the official site, with reams of documentation.

Yeah, sort of self taught (We did it for the aforemented asp.net project that myself, Rmacm and kaimera* did)

It's probably closer to C syntax wise but it does tend to borrow from everywhere and anywhere.

www.php.net is pretty much all you need reference wise. I can't really think of a decent book off the top of my head but if I do I'll post up the title.

One of the main problems with PHP is that there can sometimes be a 100 (slight exageration) different ways to do something in it and none of them are any way consistent although this may improve in PHP6.

noice wan lads

*Spent his time bonking.

I did it in ASP.net where you have to do everythiing yourself. Took ages as there was very little info on how to do some of the tougher stuff. Save yourself alot of hastle and go with PHP like the lads did.

The Don wrote: »
    I did it in ASP.net where you have to do everythiing yourself. Took ages as there was very little info on how to do some of the tougher stuff. Save yourself alot of hastle and go with PHP like the lads did.

Eh...http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/asp.net/default.aspx

I'm not sure what you mean by do everything yourself....PHP and ASP.net both have large libraries of code you can use to do common tasks. You have to do everything yourself in both languages, PHP doesn't spit out ready made websites for you.

rmacm wrote: »
    Eh...http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/asp.net/default.aspx

I'm not sure what you mean by do everything yourself....PHP and ASP.net both have large libraries of code you can use to do common tasks. You have to do everything yourself in both languages, PHP doesn't spit out ready made websites for you.

I don't know PHP. But I do know that ye had alot easier time with PHP than we had with ASP.net.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

*Spent his time bonking.

CS4313 with annette??

bazkennedy wrote: »
    CS4313 with annette??

Yeah that was it.

Advertisement