Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dimmer switch

Options
  • 08-12-2008 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

I have a three gang standard on/off light switch panel controlling three different light fittings. I want to use a dimmer on one of these fittings. Is it possible to replace the three gang switch with one that has a dimmer and two switches in the same unit? Does anybody know where I can get one if they are available.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 irishspark

i take it fits in single backbox and not double. if it is you will find it difficult to find a 3 gang dimmer switch. if you are able to put a 2 gang box in you can place a grid plate in and use 2 normal grid switches and 1 grid dimmer. just make sure that the fitting your trying to dim, is compatable and that the wattage matches that of the dimmer switch.

any more questions give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭joeirish

irishspark wrote: »
    i take it fits in single backbox and not double. if it is you will find it difficult to find a 3 gang dimmer switch. if you are able to put a 2 gang box in you can place a grid plate in and use 2 normal grid switches and 1 grid dimmer. just make sure that the fitting your trying to dim, is compatable and that the wattage matches that of the dimmer switch.

any more questions give me a shout.

Hi

thanks for the help.

Yes it is on a single backbox. It wasn't t three gang dimmer switch that I wanted to a single dimmer and two ordinary switches on the same panel if possible. I can't fit any more boxes in. Not sure if you know of anything that will go on the double backbox?

You mention the compatibility. I want to use the dimmer for four linked wall lights each of which has a 60w max bulb. At the moment a single switch controls the on/off for these four lights. I'm assuming that I can change the single switch for a dimmer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 irishspark

Sorry Joe, i meant to replace the single back box with double back box and you can get the grid switches off mkelectric.co.uk
    look up mk logic plus.

irishspark wrote: »
    Sorry Joe, i meant to replace the single back box with double back box and you can get the grid switches off mkelectric.co.uk
    look up mk logic plus.

Thanks again. I had a look at that site and some nice stuff. Only problem is I have not enough space to put in the bigger back box due to other cables etc. Any other ideas?

Just an update. I found what I wanted (almost). there are two ranges of modular systems. One is the Click Minigrid system and the other, to be available from January 2009 is the Powergrid range from Varilight.

Both have a modular approach with individual rocker switches and dimmer units that cambe combined in any way to make up a wall plate. Only problem is that the size is bigger than I wanted as the dimmer unit is twice the width of the rocker switcher. Than means I would need a double size back box. Ah well. May be of use to somebody out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

if you go the grid route, there is a remote dimming unit. Basically you would get a push to make MK grid switch and fit it to a grid with the other rocker switches, if you have the room the unit will sit in a partition wall, this can be a good way to get 4 x 1000W dimming with little or no correction factor. We've used it a lot as it allows nice finishes with wandsworth and MK grid systems. The units are about the size of matchbox, a company in Cork (Benelec I think) supply them, and they will supply wholesalers for you. It might be the trick here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Ask in your local wholesaler if they carry the CLIPSAL range.

Never actually installed one, but I did see a single box version that had 5 switches laid out in an X shape.

As far as I recall it was possible to change the individual switches on the faceplate so it may solve your problem.

this is their catalog

http://www.clipsal.co.uk/downloads/Cat%2007%20clipsal%20section_small.pdf

On page 100 (11/17 in the pdf) there is a dimmer mechanism (32500M)

You would also need two switches and a plate which are shown on page 99 (10/17)

Advertisement