Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This is bad! Audi R8 gets a 525 hp V10!

Options
  • 08-12-2008 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

audi-r8-v10-1.jpg

0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) comes in just 3.9 seconds and 0-200 km/h (124 mph) in 8.1 seconds. While a top speed is 316 km/h (196 mph).

The V10 engine in the production sports car will be almost identical in construction to the one that powers recently revealed R8 LMS GT3. Its displacement is 5,204 cc, at 6,500 rpm it delivers 530 Nm (390.91 lb-ft) of torque, at 8,000 rpm its power tops out at 386 kW (525 hp).

more images here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Wasn't there suppose to be a TDI with 500hp? Went out the window maybe?:rolleyes:
    This is just going to be a cheap Lamborghini gallardo.
    Im actually surprised Porsche allowed this to go through.
    Impressive performance figures non the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Moses7

the diesel was a V12 and only a concept:(

This engine will be available in the new Q7 from January

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

What happened to the twin turbo V10? It must have burnt a hole in their pockets!! :D

Biro wrote: »
    What happened to the twin turbo V10? It must have burnt a hole in their pockets!! :D

There actually are twin turbo V8 versions out there by different tuners. Pretty sure that we ll see the V10 supercharged or turbocharged soon:)

Moses7 wrote: »
    There actually are twin turbo V8 versions out there by different tuners. Pretty sure that we ll see the V10 supercharged or turbocharged soon:)

They were planning on putting the 575bhp twin turbo from the RS6 into the R8 though, but they kept going on fire from lack of cooling! Well, maybe I exaggerate, but one definately burnt to a cinder when under testing.

• Advertisement

Biro I think you are right.

That fire problem was also on first naturally aspirated prototypes.

Moses7 wrote: »
    Biro I think you are right.

That fire problem was also on first naturally aspirated prototypes.

I'd still get a GTR instead though! And an RS6 for the family outings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

One of the lads drove the RS6 and the R8 back-to-back yesterday and felt the RS6 was quicker!!

If you can afford the petrol, your family would be pretty lucky taking an outing in an RS6.

I delivered one to a customer a while ago, but because it was someone else's car I babied it around. Sooooo tempting though... :D
    Even still, it's one of the few cars I've seen/been in in the last few years that actually made me step back and say "wow"!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,248 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

So will it be called the R10?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Biro wrote: »
    They were planning on putting the 575bhp twin turbo from the RS6 into the R8 though, but they kept going on fire from lack of cooling! Well, maybe I exaggerate, but one definately burnt to a cinder when under testing.

Ya I heard that somewhere too so I think you could be right, there was some story like that going around anyway.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    So will it be called the R10?

There is an R10 already, it's their V12 diesel that won Le Mans.

Besides calling it the R10 would be like calling a V10 A6 the A10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Here is the V10 R8 testing on the Nurburgring in August, sounds amazing.
    But.....the RS6 sounds better :cool:

DSC02292Medium.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Why would somebody buy an R8, when there is a 997 Turbo for the same price?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,457 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Plug wrote: »
    Im actually surprised Porsche allowed this to go through.

Porsche doesn't own Volkswagen.........yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

love the matt black.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,248 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

caesar wrote: »
    There is an R10 already, it's their V12 diesel that won Le Mans.

Besides calling it the R10 would be like calling a V10 A6 the A10.

My knowledge on Audis is not the best but I thought the R8 name had something to do with it having a V8.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

JJJJNR wrote: »
    love the matt black.
    I don't think that'll actually be an option when buying one!

When a car is being tested, they cover it up like that. Saw pics of the 370z a few weeks ago and Nissan done the same thing. Assume they don't want people to see it until its unveiled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

Personally I would take the r8 v10 over the porsche 997. The r8 would likely give the 997 a real hard time around a track... being mid engined and all. The porsche on the other end would be tail happy.
    That said... im not a big fan of the 911 design any more.. i know il get beaten for saying this.. but I'm starting to find it a little boring.. for supercar, it just does not have that WOW factor that would have me wanting one on my bedroom wall as a 14 year old boy.
    That said, i freely admit to being a little strange, because i prefer the look of the cayman to the 911, and would dream of porsche fitting the cayman with a 4wd and full slip diff with an engine that produces the same power as a 911 turbo!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

That said, i freely admit to being a little strange, because i prefer the look of the cayman to the 911
    +1 The Cayman is a beautiful car, granted it doesn't perform like a 911 turbo, but if I had that money I wouldn't be buying a Porsche! A nice second hand Ferrari or something of the like would be much nicer!

This: http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1171029

or a 911...no contest!

To be honest if I actually had 200k to be spending, i'd buy a GTR and keep the change!

Advertisement