Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading my CPU

Options
  • 08-12-2008 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

So I finally decided to upgrade my CPU from an AMD 3200+ to an Opteron 165. At the moment I have everything in front of me and after a few days trawling the web I decided to install it tonight. When I took the Opty out of the packaging though it doesn't look like other CPU packages I have seen for the 939 socket. Ok well it kind of does but what I was expecting to see was something like any of the pictures seen in L31mr0d's post here (http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52456816&postcount=31) where this seems to be all stuck together, but my CPU is in two different parts i.e. the metal piece that L31mr0d lapped is separate from the actual processor.

So my question is should I try to fix this metal package to the processor or do I simply attach the heatsink directly to processor. I have seen the latter done in a few vids on youtube but they may have been an older/different processor. If I have to fix the metal package to the processor, does anyone have any suggestions how to do this?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

It sounds like you have a damaged processor. That metal back piece should be firmly connected to the processor. If this is the case I would send it back. Can you upload photos just to be sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

sink wrote: »
    It sounds like you have a damaged processor. That metal back piece should be firmly connected to the processor. If this is the case I would send it back. Can you upload photos just to be sure?

That is what I was afraid of but the processor itself looks ok. Well I have attached some pictures, let me know what you think!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

farna_boy wrote: »
    That is what I was afraid of but the processor itself looks ok. Well I have attached some pictures, let me know what you think!

Send it back, it doesn't bode well for the CPU's health if something bad enough has happened to dislodge the heat spreader like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Yep that is deffo damaged. Send it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

It would appear all is not lost! :) Once I figured out the metal package is actually called the IHS, it seems that removing this can actually give better overclocking results since it lowers the temperature, by as much as 10 degrees! (sources: http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40468 and http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=30464)

Now all I have to do is to try to figure out how I'm going to mount my existing heat sink to work with this or whether or not I should go striaght for a watercooling setup.

If anyone has any suggestions or has any previous experience it would be greatly appreciated. Oh and thanks to those who alreday replied although ye did send me into a 3 hour cursing spree! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I have to admire your outlook on things farna. The eejits managed to somehow break a friggin' CPU in half and you take it like they somehow did you a favour :D:p

Good luck with that Opty, just bear in mind that if the heatspreader came off too roughly it could have sheared off part of the processor die, in which case it'll be stone dead no matter what you do. Keep those images just in case you have to go back and scream at someone :rolleyes:

Otherwise: what cooling setup in particular were you thinking of? It might be difficult to attach a cooler/waterblock securely without damaging the bare CPU :eek:

Advertisement