Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help me cuz eircom cant

Options
  • 08-12-2008 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

hey im on a 2mb eircom line, my broadband used to work fine up until 3 weeks ago, now im only be able to download at a max of 20kps until 1am hits the clock then it works fine all through the night
    i use it mainly to play games and get between 100-200 ping which makes it unplayable so after 1am is not good to me

eircom have told me that its my comp causing the problem and they can do nothin about it but ive done all virus and spyware tests and get nothin comp is clean even when my bro connects his new comp he gets the same problem:confused:

any ideas??
    thanks

369413314.png

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Are you in a part of Donegal that can get Smart?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

its a thing called content ratio..eircoms content ratio is 48:1 while the best content ratio would be 1:1.Anyway this means that your internet is divided between more people and at peak times your internet maybe slow..You have a good connection through the night because it isnt a peak time so less people are on it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭spixel

Fol20 wrote: »
    its a thing called content ratio..eircoms content ratio is 48:1 while the best content ratio would be 1:1.Anyway this means that your internet is divided between more people and at peak times your internet maybe slow..You have a good connection through the night because it isnt a peak time so less people are on it

Its a thing called terrible broadband service. Contention is a pile of nonsense , and barley affects your internet speeds. The millions of other people around the world with stable speeds and good pings are also on lines with high contention.

The reason your getting bad pings is simple , same reason for everyone in the country. Eircom dont have a clue :) Bad routing , bad lines , bad everything. 80percent of people with broadband currently have the same problem as you and the only way around is to get with a good cable company like magnet or smart until eircom decide to actually fix things which they wont unless they get enough complaints. If anyone has bad broadband dont just push it aside or settle for an answer such as its your computers fault cause its not - thats just a stupid excuse they use to get you of their backs. Its 2008 , poorest countries in europe are years ahead in broadband services than us.

369433765.png

300ping for less than 50 miles. Complete JOKE. Most people in other countries ping across half the world with less than that.
    I had 30-40 ping stable for about 5months running on a 48:1 contention line , now look at it. Was like this for 2 years , had the good 6months or so now back to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭vorbis^cs

is there any way this can be fixed or am i just left with this problem until eircom decides to do something about, im 1 mile away from my exchange i think but when i do a tracert it looks like its goin through silgo or dublin..

thanks for the quick reply

didnt see your post there spixel was typing a reply, thanks ill give them a ring back to see what they say.

• Advertisement

and so it gets worse gotta love eircom

369456064.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

vorbis^cs wrote: »
    and so it gets worse gotta love eircom

Get your linestats from your router so we can see if it's a local line issue or something elsewhere on the Eircom network.

Local line problem is still eircoms problem :) and its not just eircom as a provider , its all adsl providers in ireland ( as most people just re-sell eircom , such as imagine , digiweb , irishbroadband etc ) . Pot of luck if you get a decent connection , although more than likley it will be terrible ping and normal download speeds or vice versa or just terrible in general. Really pissing me off now , been on 5 providers and none of them cause give one solid answer to the problem. Its all just down to quality of the broadband services in gerneral, every aspect of it is substandard for majority of people

were exactly do i find the linestats are they on the back of the router cuz there are a few different codes there and i dont which is the right 1.?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

were exactly do i find the linestats are they on the back of the router cuz there are a few different codes there and i dont which is the right 1.?

On the admin page, at 192.168.1.254 by default.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Are you connecting wired or wirelessly?

Is there only 1 computer in the house? ie could you test the connection with a different laptop/computer to check the speeds. 503ms ping seems terrible

yea happens to my bro pc aswell broadband just as good as unusable after 6 we both wired in through ethernet with cat 5 i have wireless disabled on the router.
    dont know what exactly i was lookin for, for my line stats on 192.168.1.254
    so i didnt get nothin for ya soz
    but i did get some hope today i rang eircom there awhile ago takin me through the test procedure for the 1000000000000 time and finally they admitted that there was something faluty with my line and there gonna send a technican to hopefully fix the problem.

yea happens to my bro pc aswell broadband just as good as unusable after 6 we both wired in through ethernet with cat 5 i have wireless disabled on the router.
    dont know what exactly i was lookin for, for my line stats on 192.168.1.254
    so i didnt get nothin for ya soz
    but i did get some hope today i rang eircom there awhile ago takin me through the test procedure for the 1000000000000 time and finally they admitted that there was something faluty with my line and there gonna send a technican to hopefully fix the problem.

Bet you anything noting gets fixed:)

Advertisement