Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Certificate Advice?

Options
  • 08-12-2008 9:12pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right, so i was looking for some advice on some Cert's that i have been thinking of doing lately. Not really sure which to start with though. I have an Honours Degree in computers, where 2 years were spent doing Networking and Optical Communicaions, and 2 years spent doing Information Tech Management. The first two years were quite hands on, with a fair portion of our course being designed by Cisco (mostly ccna material), with a good bit of practical work too. Now I found the two years tough enough, but in fairness, i missed a lot of classes in those two years (drinking my money away :o). The management years were much more focused on management, with only a small bit of hands on computer work.

Basically i wasnt sure if i should jump straight into the CCNA (which is supposed to be quite tough), or start off with an MCSA/MCSE or Comptia A+/N+ to get back into the swing of studying. Any advice? Would the Comptia courses be of any use to me, with a decent level of computer experience? I've heard they can be pretty basic.

I've been working desktop support for just over a year now, 7 months of that on shift (with plenty of time to study on nights), so i figure its about time i get off my ass and start doing something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I think you can skip the A+/N+

I would probably fire into the CCNA if I were you, thats if you liked the networks and all that stuff. As far as I am aware, you can do it in either a 1 exam or 2 exam track.

If you are more into the Windows side of things, you could go down the MCSA/MCSE/MCITP route.

Its possible to get the MCSA 2003 and the MCITP Server Admin 2008 in 5 exams and then get yourself up to the Enterprise Admin (MCSE level on 2008)

It is possible to get through any of this on self study with some graft, some virtual machines (or devices) and some good prep

Again if you specify which part you are leaning to, there are some good experts on this forum who can better advise you.

Advertisement