Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Numbers

Options
  • 08-12-2008 9:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I find it really interesting to go into the Religion&Spirituality forum and see how many people are currently viewing the Christianity and also the Atheist forums. Any time I've looked, the atheist forum always has about treble the number of viewers. Do you think this is representative of society?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

No.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Let me phrase it better. There is alot more interest in atheism than christianity on this board, do you think that's the way we as a society are headed? Do you think Ireland will become an atheist majority? The majority of people I know would now consider themselves atheist. i just think it's interesting to watch the viewer numbers....maybe i have too much time on my hands:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Well I suspect (dunno how true it is) that the trend is for religiosity to increase with age. So the younger you are the less likely you are to be religious. Most boards users are in their early 20s AFAIK...

Actually, there was a thread made in After Hours a while ago and it had a poll asking about religion. As far as I can remember, the vast majority were actually atheists. Which surprised me! I'll try dig it up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Could it have something to do with internet geeks comma prevalence of?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Could it have something to do with internet geeks comma prevalence of?

Probably that plus the age bias.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I don't think the opinions of internet board dwellers can be taken as indicative of society in any general way.

But I guess it is indicative of the thinking of maybe the younger third of the population.

Besides, you'd never see a thread about cannibalism in Christianity!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

I do this aswell, Currently there is 13people viewing chistianity vs 11 people viewing Atheism & Agnosticism forum. Doesnt mean anything, reckon half the number of people viewing the Christianity forum are miltant atheists just waiting to spout crap, likewise with the christians lurking around here. When i check the numbers theres usually more on the christianity forum. /shrug read into that what you wish.

The cycling forum overtaking the soccer forum on viewer numbers, now theres something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

All you are going on is who is viewing the forum at any one time Op. it could just be a load of bots, we don't know. Both forum's seem at least as busy as each other to me.

Dave! wrote: »

Just because they don't believe in god doesn't mean they're (gasp) atheists!
    :pac:

• Advertisement

God forbid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Let me phrase it better. There is alot more interest in atheism than christianity on this board, do you think that's the way we as a society are headed? Do you think Ireland will become an atheist majority? The majority of people I know would now consider themselves atheist. i just think it's interesting to watch the viewer numbers....maybe i have too much time on my hands:)
    I thought this thread was referring to a book in the Old Testament but of course it has an atheist connotation. Definetly a sign of the times!

I find it hard talking to some of them at times as I think they rely on ad hominens, oh tim you're such a... instead of working through the logic of an argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

midlandmissus is just trying to paint herself as an oppressed minority when she clearly isn't :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

It would be interesting to see how much the 'no religion' bracket increases in this country by the end of my life time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I think the forum's popularity has to do with nothing more than the intelligence, humour and writing ability of the average poster on A&A being higher than any other forum on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

DapperGent wrote: »
    I think the forum's popularity has to do with nothing more than the intelligence, humour and writing ability of the average poster on A&A being higher than any other forum on boards.

I R aGRRE!

LOLS nice post M8s!!!

And humility! Don't forget that!

Just found the results of the most recent Boards census (2007) here. :)

Dades wrote: »
    And humility! Don't forget that!
    I didn't mean to sound arrogant and I certainly wasn't talking about myself.

I don't know why this forum is so good, I don't think it neccesarily has anything to do with it's stated purpose. When I first joined boards the soccer forum was a great read, a couple of years ago the poker forum was brilliant. So I'm not saying that athiests are smarter and cooler than other people and that's why this forum is captivating, I am thinking it, I'm just not saying it.

From past experience this place will turn into a shítheap too at some stage if it continues to get busier. I don't think anything can compete the fact that a human being when faced with a crowded room will tend to shout something inane rather than say something interesting.

• Advertisement

I don't think anything can compete the fact that a human being when faced with a crowded room will tend to shout something inane rather than say something interesting.

Don't jinx it! It doesn't have to be a self-ful....eh, never mind.

midlandmissus is just trying to paint herself as an oppressed minority when she clearly isn't :rolleyes:

I nearly choked on my diet coke!!! WHAT!! I mean COME ON! you read way too much into things

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I nearly choked on my diet coke!!! WHAT!! I mean COME ON! you read way too much into things

I think he was joking.

I think he was joking.

I somehow don't think so. When they put in the rolling eyes smilie, you know they're being serious. joke :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I somehow don't think so. When they put in the rolling eyes smilie, you know they're being serious. joke :D

Does that mean I was joking? ;)

Oh lordy this web of jokes is confusing! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Just because they don't believe in god doesn't mean they're (gasp) atheists!
    :pac:
    Help me out here please, coz I'm really confused. Is an athiest not someone who does not believe in god?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Help me out here please, coz I'm really confused. Is an athiest not someone who does not believe in god?

*whoosh*

sink wrote: »
    *whoosh*

is that you wetting yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

is that you wetting yourself?

Nah it's just my snide atheist side coming up for air, I try and not let it out very often.

Advertisement