Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Numbers

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

sink wrote: »
    *whoosh*

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Yeah, I also have been told not all athiests are snide sarcastic bastids. Is that also false? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Yeah, I also have been told not all athiests are snide sarcastic bastids. Is that also false? :confused:

Good on you helena.ryan!

To answer your question, no they are not all like that on here, but some are extremely snide and sarcastic when you ask a question, and you just have to give them as good as you get.

Sink let me say *whoosh*! That's a big laugh coming up out of me at your strange computer lingo........;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Yup.

Yup.

The mad hatter. she was saying that in response to some-one being snide and sarcastic on here! (just in case you missed that bit, i know you didnt but ;))

Instead of saying 'yup' why not be nice to the girl and answer her question!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

The mad hatter. she was saying that in response to some-one being snide and sarcastic on here! (just in case you missed that bit, i know you didnt but ;))

Instead of saying 'yup' why not be nice to the girl and answer her question!

ChocolateSauce was making a joke. The joke was that some people do not believe in god but do not call themselves atheists when in reality that is exactly what they are. They don't call themselves atheists because that term rightly or wrongly has many negative connotations attached to it such as we're all snide sarcastic bastards. "*Whoosh*" was also a joke, it was the sound ChocolateSauces joke made when it flew over helenas head. The fact that it was snide added to the comedic value as it was stereotypical snide atheist comment. It's not really that funny and probably shouldn't have said it.

ChocolateSauce was making a joke. The joke was that some people do not believe in god but do not call themselves atheists when in reality that is exactly what they are. They don't call themselves atheists because that term rightly or wrongly has many negative connotations attached to it such as we're all snide sarcastic bastards. "*Whoosh*" was also a joke, it was the sound ChocolateSauces joke made when it flew over helenas head. The fact that it was snide added to the comedic value as it was stereotypical snide atheist comment.

Just to add that 'yup' was also a joke, because I like paradoxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Jokes aren't funny when you have to explain them :(

Ah see I came on here when i joined, thinking I'm not an athiest even though I don't believe in god and Dades and co took the time to explain that I am in fact, horror of horror, an athiest. My athiest education took a giant leap back when i read the sarcastic comment and missed the sarcasm. (CS - you don't do saracsm very well btw) :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Ah see I came on here when i joined, thinking I'm not an athiest even though I don't believe in god and Dades and co took the time to explain that I am in fact, horror of horror, an athiest. My athiest education took a giant leap back when i read the sarcastic comment and missed the sarcasm. (CS - you don't do saracsm very well btw) :p

Sarcasm that the target misses is the best kind of sarcasm!

• Advertisement

oeb wrote: »
    Sarcasm that the target misses is the best kind of sarcasm!
    because it's all the more snide & nasty that way?

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I think you will find that wit Is the lowest form of wit.

I've always had issue with that comment. Surely bad puns are the lowest form of wit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the recipient who doesn't get it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I love saying that in a sarcastic tone.

PS: Your sig is outdated. time to get over it. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

At the risk of straying vaguely back on topic i spotted this in AH:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055437899

Basically a topic on the census and how many people are actually Christian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I nearly choked on my diet coke!!! WHAT!! I mean COME ON! you read way too much into things

thats exactly what your were doing, creating a situation where christians were a minority so you could act oppressed and run back complaining about (non)nasty atheists to the catholic forum, like you did with your first post here.

thats exactly what your were doing, creating a situation where christians were a minority so you could act oppressed and run back complaining about (non)nasty atheists to the catholic forum, like you did with your first post here.

Lostexpectation, to be honest, think whatever you want, I couldnt care less at this stage. I know 'a repressed minority' couldn't have been further from my mind.

And yes I did complain when I first joined, (I wonder why). Obviously I've toughened up now and can deal with spiteful messages like this one, by saying, what you just said in that message says far more about you than it does about me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

ChocolateSauce was making a joke. The joke was that some people do not believe in god but do not call themselves atheists when in reality that is exactly what they are. They don't call themselves atheists because that term rightly or wrongly has many negative connotations attached to it such as we're all snide sarcastic bastards. "*Whoosh*" was also a joke, it was the sound ChocolateSauces joke made when it flew over helenas head. The fact that it was snide added to the comedic value as it was stereotypical snide atheist comment. It's not really that funny and probably shouldn't have said it.

Sarcasm is great wit when used properly. Anyway, it is more important to avoid pissing people off unnecessarily than it is to keep a joke funny by not explaining it.

In addition to what sink says above, my joke was also a reference to an anecdote in The God Delusion, where Dawkins relays the tale of the young woman who tells her family she is an atheist, and the mother goes "Not believing in god we can accept, but an atheist?!"

It is a famous anecdote these days. Didn't mean to upset anybody?

I know you didn't! I didn't get the sarcasm, I hadn't read the thread fully TBH so when that quote popped out at me I asked about it. Thats all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement