Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Help !!!

Options
  • 08-12-2008 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hey guys maths christmas test tomorrow :( and I'm just going through my book but got stuck on a few questions ! Any help would be greatly appreciated !!:D

Solve for x : 3e* -7 + 2e-*=0 Btw * stands for x cos I didnt know how to type something to the power of x !

2log9x=1/2 + log9(5x + 18)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Hm tis a while since I did exercises like this, but...

For the first one I'd let e^x (e to the x) equal y, then rewrite the equation as;
    3y - 7 + (2/y) = 0, multiply across by y and continue it as a normal quadratic, just remember when you get your values for y at the end, that's just the value for e^x, so you'll have to get x again out of that.

For the second one... guess you could bring the log term on the right hand side over to the left, so you'll have 2log(9x) - log(9(5x+18)) = 1/2, then rewrite the left hand side using the law of logs to get log((9x)^2/9(5x+18)) = 1/2, and then solve from there... Might get messy. I never was too fond of logs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

I suspect that the 9 in the OP's message was the base of the logs. In that case, after bringing thr logs to one side and combining them, you have:
    log[base 9](x^2/(5x+18)) = 1/2
    This gives:
    9^(1/2) = x^2/(5x+18)
    3 = x^2/(5x+18)
    3(5x+18) = x^2
    etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Hm I was indeed wondering what base it was to... Part of the reason I left out the end of the solution. : p

Advertisement