Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you returned or thrown out pork product

• 08-12-2008 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Yay or nay and why?

I haven't and find it vaguely obscene that so many have.

Oh yeah the reason is simple - its not going to kill me in any way.

Have you returned or thrown out pork? 8 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    100% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Did it, but very reluctantly. Got young children to consider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I've a Serano ham hanging in my kitchen, unlikely to be any dioxins in Catalan acorns....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It's been a bit of a mixed bag for me...
    I binned a half pack of rashers
    I returned two unopened packs of sliced ham
    I kept a bag of trotters in my freezer (know that the farm was not affected)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I had pork belly on Sunday; ham in sandwiches yesterday and today, and rashers in the fridge. Our butcher asked us to return the sausages, just to keep it 'official'.

So 'Both', if that option was on the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

I'm going to die eventually.....a small amount of dioxins is not going to do much damage. As they say on the news you would need to consume vast quantities of pork products over the years to have any ill effects from it.

Sure whenever you get a vaccine in the hospital what you are effectively getting is a very very small dose of what you are trying to become immune from...That way your body is guaranteed to win the fight against this small dose and in turn with the fight against any future fight you are in against the same dose if that makes sense. So the way I see it a small amount of dioxin now could prevent me from getting ill from a large amount if I encountered it in the future.

Despite what I just said, I have taken the choice to continue eating pork products when I am in the mood for it and I am in no way recommending that others do so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I thought about this , I had an unopened packet of ham in my fridge.

Looked at it last night , figured only 10% of pigs were effected , then you would have to eat a ton of it ....

So ham and mustard sambos it was ....

Now I wouldn't feed it to my 2 year old , but there you go ... double standards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I voted no, but the only pork products I had were some Dunnes German Salami (actually made in Germany!) and some Dunnes Brussels Pate (which even more surprisingly was made in Belgium!).

Anyway, even if I had any Irish pork products, I'd still have eaten them. I've probably got more exposure to dioxins from other sources over the years than I would have done from eating those pork products. Uncontrolled back yard burning of domestic waste is one of the biggest culprits, and I'd bet that standing anywhere near the standard Halloween bonfire for an hour or so would probably dose you up way above the recommended limits too. There's a thread over in Biology and Medicine where somebody says that up until 1990 one of the big hospitals in Dublin, the Mater I think, used to burn waste containing PVC in an open incinerator, for example.

Advertisement