Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Road markings on the M50

Options
  • 08-12-2008 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭

Hello All,

There is one lane on the M50 in both directions with thicker and closer set broken lines on the left of both carraigeways.

What do these lines mean and is there someone in specific who should be driving in them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,996 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It means the lane is leaving at the next junction - only those who have just joined or are leaving should be in there. However, its neither defined in law or the ROTR!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

It goes from the N6 the whole way to the N7 and vice versa. Maybe further south, by I have not been further south.

I doubt most people know what it is because nobody seemed to use it except for the trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,996 ✭✭✭✭L1011

N6? N4 ;)

They go from Ballymount to the N7, not under the bridge, N7 to N4, not under the bridge, N4 to N3 and of course thats where the improved section stops for the moment. If you read the gantries its relatively clear what its for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

They are extended slip lanes. Anyone can use them - as slip lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Berty wrote: »
    It goes from the N6 the whole way to the N7 and vice versa. Maybe further south, by I have not been further south.

I doubt most people know what it is because nobody seemed to use it except for the trucks.

No one should be using them unless they are enterign or exitign the motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

The lanes you're all talking about are auxiliary lanes: they join the on-slip of one junction to the off-slip of the next. Use them if you're leaving the motorway at the next exit. If you're only going from one exit to the next, you don't need to merge out of them at all.

When the M50 is all done, the setup will be 3 lanes + auxiliary lanes between all junctions from the M1/M50 junction to Firhouse, then 3 lanes to Sandyford with no auxiliary lanes, then 2 lanes to the M11.

Advertisement