Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundtrack To Your Angst

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Does anyone else like Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac? :o

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Noel2k9 wrote: »

Some of the songs off Rumours are top class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Noel2k9 wrote: »

You expected me not to like this? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

LOVE this performance. Especially how it goes full on ROCK at the end. Stevie Nicks does have an amazing voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Haven't a clue about the later-day Fleetwood Mac but some of their late 60s / early 70s work is phenomenal (when Peter Green was singer / guitarist, think he left and faded into obscurity with mental health problems for a time, but now he's back :)). Everyone's heard Man of the World, an utterly amazing song, while Albatross is pure ear sex.

Oh Well has some of my favourite guitar work ever and the lyrics are rather great too:

• Advertisement

I remembered why I came to this thread actually; to divulge my delight / bemusement at seeing (an overly sexual(!)) Macaulay Caulkin in a Sonic Youth video. :eek: :D

Darn good song too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Not sure if I posted this before but electronica Lisa Hannigan

Naturally, any band that collaborates with Lisa Hannigan is cool, so I checked 'em out. Lovely house music.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Nice summery music :)

Also kudos Colm on the earlier link, the Song for Lisa thing, lovin' it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Has anyone heard that urban song that rips the melody off wholesale from Modest Mouse's Float On? Kind of similar to what Flo Rida did with "You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)" on Right Round.

Heard a snippet from it, sounded awful just like that Flo Rida song.

I'm a big fan of sampling but this is going too far.

Get some original ideas and don't copy a chorus and add in generic lyrics dammit. :mad:

Edit: Is it Lupe Fiasco? I quite like some of his songs.

flyswatter wrote: »
    Has anyone heard that urban song that rips the melody off wholesale from Modest Mouse's Float On? Kind of similar to what Flo Rida did with "You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)" on Right Round.

Heard a snippet from it, sounded awful just like that Flo Rida song.

I'm a big fan of sampling but this is going too far.

Get some original ideas and don't copy a chorus and add in generic lyrics dammit. :mad:

Edit: Is it Lupe Fiasco? I quite like some of his songs.

It's Lupe's "The Show Goes On".
    A lot of Lupe's fans say that his record label probably had a lot of say in how that album Lasers was made. I quite like some of his stuff and we all know that the guy can definitely rap. I haven't listened to Lasers though. Bad reviews everywhere
    I'm a big fan of sampling, and I do like rap. So much so that I actually want to learn to master my pirated copy of Ableton and record a mixtape. But I think Lupe just showed the world how sampling shouldn't be done.

Let's say that Jay-Z sampled Radiohead... (he didn't, Minty Fresh Beats did)

I wouldn't complain about it as much as I'm doing about this Lupe single, the new Lupe single doesn't sound GOOD. Jaydiohead sounds lovely, and I'd gladly put some of the songs on that into the special selection that is my mp3 player list.

Sample Modest Mouse if you want, just do it right. They've got a lot of great songs on all of their albums, so don't ruin them. Don't pitch up the sample and put awful auto-tuned verses over it. Thanks.

Some MM love:

Colm! wrote: »
    It's Lupe's "The Show Goes On".
    A lot of Lupe's fans say that his record label probably had a lot of say in how that album Lasers was made. I quite like some of his stuff and we all know that the guy can definitely rap. I haven't listened to Lasers though. Bad reviews everywhere
    I'm a big fan of sampling, and I do like rap. So much so that I actually want to learn to master my pirated copy of Ableton and record a mixtape. But I think Lupe just showed the world how sampling shouldn't be done.

Let's say that Jay-Z sampled Radiohead... (he didn't, Minty Fresh Beats did)

I wouldn't complain about it as much as I'm doing about this Lupe single, the new Lupe single doesn't sound GOOD. Jaydiohead sounds lovely, and I'd gladly put some of the songs on that into the special selection that is my mp3 player list.

Sample Modest Mouse if you want, just do it right. They've got a lot of great songs on all of their albums, so don't ruin them. Don't pitch up the sample and put awful auto-tuned verses over it. Thanks.

Some MM love:

Hmm. That can happen quite a bit it seems. I suppose it's really down to the artist at the end of the day. They don't have to conform to that kind of music but I suppose they realize the rewards in financial terms. In a way it's disappointing but I guess they are just trying to make a good living.

What do you think of Ableton? I had a demo version of it once. It's really different to say the least. It's not like pretty much every other DAW out there. I couldn't figure it out. It just left me confused. It is meant to be superb in general though, and excellent for live work and improvising.

Ableton is confusing. It's a lovely program if you've got the setup for it: I was introduced to it when I was in Cork Campus Radio. It works great with MIDI controllers and so forth. Relatively awful for keyboard-and-mouse wannabe producers like myself.

FL Studio with its piano roll and stuff is probably what I want, but I don't know. Meanwhile my more musically experienced friend swears by Cubase but points out it's even more confusing than Ableton.

I don't know. I've no musical theory or anything. I just want to make rap beats and try and fail to rap over them.

Colm! wrote: »
    Ableton is confusing. It's a lovely program if you've got the setup for it: I was introduced to it when I was in Cork Campus Radio. It works great with MIDI controllers and so forth. Relatively awful for keyboard-and-mouse wannabe producers like myself.

FL Studio with its piano roll and stuff is probably what I want, but I don't know. Meanwhile my more musically experienced friend swears by Cubase but points out it's even more confusing than Ableton.

I don't know. I've no musical theory or anything. I just want to make rap beats and try and fail to rap over them.

Yeah, I believe it's great with midi controllers such as the Akai APC and Novation Launchpad. Both are specifically designed for Ableton. Really useful for live use and triggering samples, beats, scenes etc.

It would be worth getting a cheap midi keyboard imo. I have a 25 key M-Audio one and it was about 70 euro I think. It's nice to have a hands-on experience. You can then play stuff and then draw in the notes that you like. That's what I do anyway. I have to stress that I'm no expert on theory either. I can name piano notes (slowly at the moment) and know some terms. What I've been doing recently is using chords learnt on the guitar and transferring them into synth chord progressions or whatever.

I use FL Studio myself. I really like it and I'm used to it now. The piano roll is one of the best out there. All sorts of tools are available like a huge list of chords that can be inputted into the piano roll and chopping options, strumming, arpeggiator built in. Really good. I know some Cubase users and it's a lot more traditional workflow-wise than say Ableton. It's a hugely powerful program. I reckon I'd take to it quicker than Ableton. It's weird. Some people think it's easy to use, some dislike the workflow. Guess it's just personal preference really.

Do you want to sample in your beats yeah? What kind of stuff would you like to use?

Sorry if I went on a bit there. I just really like talking about this stuff. :D

Locka sweet sweet indie pop to satiate my craving for some sweet sweet indie pop.

Also, the singer sounds like Lou Reed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭jimbob86

I seen a film with this song in it and i cant remember which film it was,any1 know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I've recently acquired "Up To Now" by Snow Patrol. I am in love.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

You may recognise this from the o2 ad with the turtles...

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

This song gets stuck in my head for days.

I might have posted this before but I feel like posting it again. :)

This whole song is a total eargasm. The guitar interplay is brilliant and the guitar solo is stunning.

http://soundcloud.com/bluegracemusic/01-if-not-now-when

FRED's new single, sounding pretty damn good. Album next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

^They're playing in Cork on Paddy's Day, think I'm going...

I have nothing to post, such a music rut :(

I've been meaning to go to one of their gigs. They played a free gig in Cork while I was up there, but it was an outdoor gig and it was raining pretty damn heavily so I skipped it.
    Seriously regret that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

This is why I wanna see Fred live.

Edit: 6000th post :cool:

Advertisement