Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundtrack To Your Angst

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

I have so much love for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Dat nostalgia :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

This is nice. I only clicked into their album on iTunes because the band was called "The Virgins", and I'm an immature man-child. Bought the album though, and it's very good indeed. Lead singer's voice kind of reminds me of Jarvis Cocker.

• Advertisement

This is so great.

Is it wrong that I sort of want to marry him just so he'll write songs about me?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 FunkForYourAss

Can't stop listening to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

^Love Mutemath :)

• Advertisement

Some wonderful soul has uploaded the vinyl version of one of my favourite albums to YouTube. Even though the prospect of listening to vinyls on YouTube seems so wrong to me, discovering this has made my day (yeah, my life is amazing. Be jealous!) It sounds so lovely! It also makes me sad that Nick Drake only got proper recognition after he died. That man was amazing. Enjoy, y'all, if anyone here actually likes Nick Drake.

Some wonderful soul has uploaded the vinyl version of one of my favourite albums to YouTube. Even though the prospect of listening to vinyls on YouTube seems so wrong to me, discovering this has made my day (yeah, my life is amazing. Be jealous!) It sounds so lovely! It also makes me sad that Nick Drake only got proper recognition after he died. That man was amazing. Enjoy, y'all, if anyone here actually likes Nick Drake.

I LOVE this album! I have another of his called Five Leaves Left but have yet to get around to it, thanks for this!

I LOVE this album! I have another of his called Five Leaves Left but have yet to get around to it, thanks for this!

De nada! I felt it was too good not to share so I'm glad someone else is enjoying it :). Five Leaves Left is a very good album too, as is Bryter Later. In fact, I recommend you listen to Northern Sky right now if you haven't already. It's one of the greatest not-well-known love songs ever.

Jeez Nick Drake, why did you have to go and die prematurely...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Rubber Soul is a good album

Two Dancers is an unbelievable album, would highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

You have, at last, found the perfect sightline. You've got a clear view through the crowd to the stage, where you can see every member of the band. You relax, knowing now you can enjoy the show. And then the person in front of you pulls out their phone. Please, you think, let them just be checking their texts. But no, the phone is set to camera and held aloft, where it stays for the next few minutes, taking jerky and unwatchable footage – and filling your field of vision.

It's infuriating to be behind the phone-wielders at gigs. And, it turns out, it's infuriating to be in front of them, too, standing on the stage surveying hundreds of people staring intently at their screens. When they played at Webster Hall in New York on Sunday night, Yeah Yeah Yeahs posted notices at the door with a request for concertgoers: "Please do not watch the show through a screen on your smart device/camera. Put that **** away as a courtesy to the person behind you and to Nick, Karen and Brian."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/shortcuts/2013/apr/10/yeah-yeah-yeahs-phones-gigs

Excellent move.

Just listened to this about 10 times in a row. My soul is now sufficiently soothed. The melody also sounds a bit Paul McCartney-ish to me...

Just listened to this about 10 times in a row. My soul is now sufficiently soothed. The melody also sounds a bit Paul McCartney-ish to me...

Seen them in Belfast a few weeks back that was the one song I desperately wanted to hear but they didn't play it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Young Wonder's path to being my favourite Irish band is essentially entirely carved out for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

I should start listening to more of this album :3

Coachella will be streaming again this year: http://www.youtube.com/user/coachella

Hopefully my internet will let me see Metric, Japandroids and Grinderman later tonight. Not much interests me tomorrow besides Violent Femmes but Sunday's gonna be sweet with Nick Cave, Cloud Nothings, Father John Misty and Dinosaur Jr.

Coachella will be streaming again this year: http://www.youtube.com/user/coachella

Hopefully my internet will let me see Metric, Japandroids and Grinderman later tonight. Not much interests me tomorrow besides Violent Femmes but Sunday's gonna be sweet with Nick Cave, Cloud Nothings, Father John Misty and Dinosaur Jr.

Could you recommend me an album to kinda, get me started on Nick Cave?

FGHGHGHGHGTROASFLX;X!!!!! :D

Tomorrow: Dropkick Murphys, Bat for Lashes, Biffy Clyro, Benny Benassi, Moby, Janelle Monae, Knife Party, New Order....

Sunday: The Gaslight Anthem, Paul Oakenfold, Franz Ferdinand, Wu-Tang Clang, Chili Peppers.

I repeat, DLFJKLSNVD,HSWNFLSV!!!!!!!

What do those times on YT translate into for us? As in, when it says 3pm, isn't that around 8pm for us?

Just had a quick look at the line-up there, holy sh*t, what I wouldn't pay to be at that festival and not only that its 88 degrees Fahrenheit there!!

You have Blur, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Modest Mouse, Lou Reed, Local Natives, Band of Horses and Earl Sweatshirt on the first day alone!!

Next day you have Phoenix, the XX, Sigur Ros, Grizzly Bear, Franz Ferdinand, Knife Party, Foals and Biffy!

Last day I wouldn't be mad on, but you still have Chillis, Nick Cave, Dinosaur Jr and Tame Impala!

I'm like a kid in a god damn candy shop here! It's near on dream festival status for me.

Edit - C&H'ers trip to Coachella next year? :D

Could you recommend me an album to kinda, get me started on Nick Cave?

Certainly. I always suffer a lot of mental aggro when answering this question though as most of his output is very, very good so it's a bit of a struggle choosing just one album. That said, I suggest Henry's Dream - it's Cave at his storytelling best and the music is a nice blend of noisy rock and mid-tempo ballads. You'll find that he and the Bad Seeds excel at both. The first couple of songs are manic but then BOOF! a brilliant love song comes unexpected and knocks you out. The album is only forty minutes long, hopefully it reels you in.

If you want to explore that gentler side in more detail then pick up The Boatman's Call; it's mostly quiet piano-based ballads that showcase his great lyrics. Look for Into My Arms on YouTube and you'll get a good idea.

Loads of other great albums I could have gone with: Let Love In, Murder Ballads and Dig!!! Lazurus Dig!!! are all gold. The latter kinda eschews the whole story-telling aesthetic though and adopts a more conventional rock sound. Oh and Abattoir Blues / The Lyre of Orpheus may be my favourite album of his but it's a double album so a bit inaccessible for the newcomer in that regard. There are four or five others that are also worthwhile but I've probably divulged enough titles already. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Certainly.

Ducreux_SelfPortrait1793.jpg

Certainly. I always suffer a lot of mental aggro when answering this question though as most of his output is very, very good so it's a bit of a struggle choosing just one album. That said, I suggest Henry's Dream - it's Cave at his storytelling best and the music is a nice blend of noisy rock and mid-tempo ballads. You'll find that he and the Bad Seeds excel at both. The first couple of songs are manic but then BOOF! a brilliant love song comes unexpected and knocks you out. The album is only forty minutes long, hopefully it reels you in.

If you want to explore that gentler side in more detail then pick up The Boatman's Call; it's mostly quiet piano-based ballads that showcase his great lyrics. Look for Into My Arms on YouTube and you'll get a good idea.

Loads of other great albums I could have gone with: Let Love In, Murder Ballads and Dig!!! Lazurus Dig!!! are all gold. The latter kinda eschews the whole story-telling aesthetic though and adopts a more conventional rock sound. Oh and Abattoir Blues / The Lyre of Orpheus may be my favourite album of his but it's a double album so a bit inaccessible for the newcomer in that regard. There are four or five others that are also worthwhile but I've probably divulged enough titles already. :p

Great answer, thanks! Gunna get Henry's Dream and Let Love In.

Let Love In because I know a good few tracks off that album already plus it has Red Right Hand on it which I love!

Hopefully this will open the door for me with Cave.

Beardyman's set just there was f*cking epic.

Now it's a choice between Metric, Alt-J and Polica... 3 bands of which I know nothing about... may just go with Polica because their name sounds like The Police... :o

Fair play to my internet too, wasn't expecting it to perform this well, but I guess it being so late at night is helping. :)

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Beardyman's set just there was f*cking epic.

Now it's a choice between Metric, Alt-J and Polica... 3 bands of which I know nothing about... may just go with Polica because their name sounds like The Police... :o

Fair play to my internet too, wasn't expecting it to perform this well, but I guess it being so late at night is helping. :)

Not sure but I have heard good things about Alt-J although I haven't listened to anything personally!

Advertisement