Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundtrack To Your Angst

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Not sure but I have heard good things about Alt-J although I haven't listened to anything personally!

Polica was a mistake. :P

Not bad per se, but very odd. If you know Imogen Heap's style (vocoders and all that jazz) they're a bit like that, just not as good. (based on 2.5 songs :P)

Watching Metric now, quite good. Gonna give Alt-J a go in a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Polica was a mistake. :P

Not bad per se, but very odd. If you know Imogen Heap's style (vocoders and all that jazz) they're a bit like that, just not as good. (based on 2.5 songs :P)

Watching Metric now, quite good. Gonna give Alt-J a go in a while now.

In the meantime I've been getting my hipster on and checked out the bands on pitchfork. Going by pitchfork, which I shamefully tend to do quite a bit, Alt-J are a no. So bad advice on my part :P They gave Polica a good review though, they have two drummers!!! And then Metric seem to be decent aswell.

But anyway, I have to get off Boards, spending all my time on it to avoid studying! Let me know if Modest Mouse are good tomorrow :P

In the meantime I've been getting my hipster on and checked out the bands on pitchfork. Going by pitchfork, which I shamefully tend to do quite a bit, Alt-J are a no. So bad advice on my part :P They gave Polica a good review though, they have two drummers!!! And then Metric seem to be decent aswell.

But anyway, I have to get off Boards, spending all my time on it to avoid studying! Let me know if Modest Mouse are good tomorrow :P

I've never used Pitchfork, and since they've said Alt-J are bad, I think I now never have to. :pac:

Alt-J by far my favourite of the three options. Rocking out to them atm. :)

Dilemma now though... do I go to bed and try and get up at 5am for Modest Mouse, Blur, etc, risking not waking up and missing it all, or do I stay up, watch Passion Pit, Japandroids and Of Monsters and Men, and risk falling asleep before Modest Mouse, Blur, etc.....

Think I'll stay up, tomorrow's my main night judging by the line up, so probably best to go to bed at 4am and be up for tomorrow as opposed to go to bed now and be up at 5am.

Life is hard lads! :P

Passion Pit <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

I wouldn't get into the habit of taking Pitchforks word as gospel as they are known to be a trendsetting website, often acting as some kind of psuedo authority for what is cool and trendy. Make up your own mind instead.

They panned the Alt J album when everyone else was giving it great reviews. Interestingly, the reviewer who did that review previously worked for the NME so her review was seen by some as wanting to put her NME past behind her. Then there was the matter of Pitchfork being late to review that album. Could have been a question of "we didn't break this band first so lets pan the album".

• Advertisement

I wouldn't get into the habit of taking Pitchforks word as gospel as they are known to be a trendsetting website, often acting as some kind of psuedo authority for what is cool and trendy. Make up your own mind instead.

They panned the Alt J album when everyone else was giving it great reviews. Interestingly, the reviewer who did that review previously worked for the NME so her review was seen by some as wanting to put her NME past behind her. Then there was the matter of Pitchfork being late to review that album. Could have been a question of "we didn't break this band first so lets pan the album".

Yeah I know exactly what you mean, completely agree with you. I've gotten into an awful habit of when hearing about a new band having a look at there reviews on pitchfork and getting into them based on that, which is terrible I know!

And yeah they seem to have some grudges against bands for no reason. Might give Alt-J a chance so :pac:

As an aside, managed to catch some of Japandroids, was very impressed, and Local Natives on the repeat today, was very good! Hopefully they'll repeat some Modest Mouse and Blur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 FunkForYourAss

Really looking forward to the new album now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

I'm a shameful Pitchfork reader, their quality as a source for music news is unmatchable, but their reviews are often times nothing short of stupid, and their panning of Alt-J is a great example of that. An Awesome Wave is an excellent album in my opinion.

:mad:

They bloody well cut Biffy Clyro's set short at Coachella. Bastards.

Not happy. Not happy.

On a more positive note, I caught Shouting Matches, who'd I'd never heard of before. They're really, really good.

Dropkick Murphys were incredibly poor though. Think they were having technical difficulties because the mics were all over the place at times. But they just didn't seem into it at all really, which was a shame.

Yeah they only got like 7 or 8 tunes in! Thought they were good though.

Violent femmes up now :D

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    On a more positive note, I caught Shouting Matches, who'd I'd never heard of before. They're really, really good.

Think there a Bon Iver side project if I'm not mistaken!

Yeah, that's who The Shouting Matches are.

Also... fuuuuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Colm! wrote: »

Am I the only person who thinks Pharrell is really lame? It's ruined my excitement for the album that he's on that track. For me, it's the beginning of the end when you have guest-stars all over an album.

Prove me wrong Daft Punk. Prove me wrong.

it's the beginning of the end when you have guest-stars all over an album.

While you COULD still be proven wrong, remember this is Daft Punk on their "The Collaborators" stage...

There's still like several episodes of that series left...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Colm! wrote: »
    While you COULD still be proven wrong, remember this is Daft Punk on their "The Collaborators" stage...
    There's still like several episodes of that series left...

It's just that Pharrell is on two tracks off the album, and to me he's a boring, boring rapper. He and NERD have their place, but it's not on a Daft Punk album. Julian Casablancas is on it too, again, for me he doesn't belong. Why do you need Panda Bear? If they pull it off, then it'll be great, but 10 out of the 13 tracks have guest spots on them.

That said, I like Chilly Gonzales, Moroder's a genius and so is Rogers. I would just prefer it if I got a proper Daft Punk album, and then a remix album I wouldn't need to buy with all Pharrell's treatises on lady-killin' and hoe-layin'.

And I'm allowed to rant about an album I haven't even heard yet because I still have a DAFT CLUB CARD and I have rights god damn it!

Why do you need Panda Bear?

I agree with you completely, especially with Pharrell, I have no love for him, except this. Anything Animal Collective is the shizz!!

On a soundtracky note, I've just re-got into Elliott Smith and Figure 8 is really clicking with me this time around. His whole discography is just sheer brilliance!!

I still have a DAFT CLUB CARD and I have rights god damn it!
    I found one around a few months ago and have totally claimed ownership to it.

Julian Casablancas is worrying, I'll admit that straight off, but I actually dig what Pharell has done on "Get Lucky". Then again, I've been rocking the new Justin Timberlake album heavily, so my opinion SHOULD be invalidated when it comes to throwing R&B smoothness on things. Panda Bear is... an unusual choice of collaborator. I don't know about it. If he's just a vocalist, that's odd. If he's contributing musically, I'm a bit interested, really.

I've read Daft Punk's interviews and seen all the Collaborators stuff and I think that what they're doing is very much an attempt to resist the "EDM" movement that massive acts like them have inspired and return a sort of "human" element to dance music, hence the complete disregard of their old digital\sampling focus.

Honestly, I'm done with all of this Swedish House stuff where everything sounds like "Levels" (even though I still fucking love Levels) filling up my soundcloud feed all the time: as decent dance music goes, I'm not finding much. This Daft album should hopefully shake it up again.

oh and music

EDIT: Actually, this thing has been ON REPEAT most of the week and might be one of my favourite house tracks ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Surprised I never came across Handsome Boy Modeling School before. Collaboration between Dan the Automator and Prince Paul. Shit's good. Very Good. Yer wan Roisin Murphy is in one of the songs. Local Bird. Was famous a while.

Well if Daft Punk's new album isn't what I want, I will have the "80s funk-contingency" plan ready to go:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

I didn't know the Daft Punk album was full of collaborations. I just thought it was them with Nile Rodgers which was really exciting to me. My enthusiasms been dampened a bit now.

Was well worth staying up for Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds. What a live act. The coda in this song is spine-tinglingly amazing.

And now Dinosaur Jr. \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Hell yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭The Internet

I know I post in here way to often but I just seen this comment 'F##k this has 3 million views. Ugh. I am on the mainstream part of youtube.' on this song.

Either he's trolling or I hate people and there 'aw it's too mainstream if more then 15 people like it' crap!

This film never, ever, ever gets old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Listening to Station to Station for the first time. Terrific stuff right the way through.

Those guitars, that bass. Phwoarrrr.

• Advertisement
Advertisement