Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise on getting into the videography game

• 08-12-2008 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm an engineer by trade but have an increasingly consuming passion in shooting, producing and editing videos.

I've been at it less than 2 years but really enjoy making videos like nothing else. I feel I'm improving too and get some nice compliments from time to time on my work.

I have a decent camera now, a Canon HV30 and would like to start making some money back on it.

If any videographers out there would care to lend me their ear and let me know what work is like out there at the moment with the recession and what kind of things I could do to break into this craft I'd be more than appreciative.

Pretty much anything I've made can be seen at www.youtube.com/acekingie so please take a look and let me know if I'm wasting my time or not.

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

some good clips so definitely stick with it. Can't give advice on how to break into the "business" as I'm trying that myself - but take/make opportunities to pick off video work - friends wedding videos, interviews/corporate stuff for work / promotional videos for work etc.. Made Eur 2000 this year without really trying - not alot but helped buy more equipment. Read up on the does and don'ts of all things videography - You might want to invest in a good camera also. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Thanks a lot Reece for the reply. It's looking good. I've approached a certain association to do promo work for them and they've come back saying they'd like a "hard hitting and edgy" documentary. Happy days! I'll give it a shot anyway, should be a good learning experience. In the process now of gettin some extra gear so I can shoot it properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

Check out the uk videography body. If you submit some work you can become master member. iov.co.uk . This would really help in getting work.

TommyGun wrote: »
    Check out the uk videography body. If you submit some work you can become master member. iov.co.uk . This would really help in getting work.

Cheers for that, will definitely give it a go.

m83 wrote: »
    I've approached a certain association to do promo work for them and they've come back saying they'd like a "hard hitting and edgy" documentary.

sweeeeeet. That's the way to do it. I found this book was fairly good -
    Film Directing Shot by Shot: Visualizing from Concept to Screen (Michael Wiese Productions) - You can get it on amazon.co.uk for about 25 bananas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭DuFF-MAN

Ihad a look and like your stuff man! I love taking really high quality videos(such as free to download trailers of films) and editing it in premiere. A recent enough one i did was of the dark knight where i cut footage from TDK trailers to the score of the 1989, Tim Burton's Batman. You can find it on my channel here: http://www.youtube.com/Daawaa It was really cool working with such high quality footage and sound! Its something id really like to get into myself. I'm doing a course in animation at the moment and I'm looking forward to working on HD, high quality footage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭afatbollix

get yourself into a tv production corse or a film corse...

i did tv production in BCFE dublin... they work alot with RTE so you get to work on professional shoots and i walked out of the place and the next day into a great job...

Thanks for the suggestion anto. As tempting as that is I'm not sure if I could do that. I already have a well paying engineering job and giving it up in this economic climate would be a very risky and possibly bad move.

I've had some more work come my way, an offer to shoot a music video which I've accepted. It's not a paying job but I don't mind as long as I can do it well and show it to prospective clients down the line when I have a proven track record which will hopefully start to see some money coming in.

don't forget to do your storyboard

reece wrote: »
    don't forget to do your storyboard

But of course. The artist is based in the States so I don't have any footage of them singing or playing instruments. That mightn't be a bad thing as I have free reign to create something completely conceptual.

I'll post it up here in a few weeks anyway all going well. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement