Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of starting to taxi

Options
  • 08-12-2008 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Does anybody know if there is good business for taxi in Wexford. I am thinking of starting to drive a taxi but unsure if it would pay off. Is there anywhere in the south east to buy a roof sign, meter and printer or would I need to travel to Dublin. I would be putting a 8 seater on the road if that makes business any better. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

I know some of the private taxis that work just outside of town (castlebridge, killurin etc) make good money but they do work for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

My da in law works for AA cabs - they do earn their wages anyhow. Not sure where does it in wexford, you should ask when you apply for your licence in the couty hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hootie

Thanks for the reply, certainly don't mind putting the hours in if the pay out is worth it. What did you mean by private taxi, self employed?

I don't know if they are taxis or hackneys, but they do good fixed rates into town and they will actually be there at the correct time to pick you up. Unlike a certain taxi company.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

Hi i have a taxi in Wexford town.There is no point in me telling you not to do it so what i would say to you is try it get a licence and rent a taxi for a month or so.There are a lot of drivers in Wex now just go and sit at the rank see how long it takes for cars to reach the top of rank that will give you an idea how business is.Im in the business a couple of years now and only for phone work id be gone... If you really want to buy a plate car or meter ask at the rank there are a few for sale now in the new year.It was a case that we were busy thurs to sun night now its only a saturday and thats only from 2-3 ish am.And for all out there who say shut up moaning im not it was my choice to get into this work but please people of wexford start getting back out shopping drinking eating etc etc its christmas and it doesnt show.

• Advertisement

Do you do much 'general' work or do you focus on calls etc? Are you associated with any company?

I ask as I know of some drivers who are pretty busy and are making good money out of it.

You know, if you put your phone number discretly in the signature, no one should say a word to you...

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hootie

I have a psv licience and I was going to rent a licience for 6 months to give it a try. I was driving around town on Tues about 8pm to try find a taxi person to ask about where to but a meter etc, did a lap of town twice, from dunnes to tesco's, and only passed 2 taxi's in the whole town, not quite sure what that means.

Hootie wrote: »
    I have a psv licience and I was going to rent a licience for 6 months to give it a try. I was driving around town on Tues about 8pm to try find a taxi person to ask about where to but a meter etc, did a lap of town twice, from dunnes to tesco's, and only passed 2 taxi's in the whole town, not quite sure what that means.

It means most of us have given up working on weekday nights.Its all about luck on those nights you might get the lucky fare but dont bank on it.If you look around the town you will see many taxi co's cars and busses parked up on ranks some cars stand out very well i wont give names,to me that shows even the companys who have been there for years are in trouble it cant be paying them to pay drivers to sit at ranks.This Christams was a wash out only the Friday before Christmas and st stephens night were busy,huge change from last year.I know taxi drivers are known for sob stories but i also know if im to stay in business my prices have come down and lots more hours are been put in.As i said if i didnt have phone work id be finished long ago.You can get the meter etc from a Co in waterford and a few doing them in Dublin it will cost you about 800 to fit. Well i hope this helps and a happy new year to you all and dont forget to try and surport your local business its how we will all get over the next year or so...

Do you do much 'general' work or do you focus on calls etc? Are you associated with any company?

I ask as I know of some drivers who are pretty busy and are making good money out of it.

I work just for myself iv found it better,a lot of the companys charge up to 200 a week to be part off many do join them but leave after a couple of months they dont give enough jobs to pay for it.Its hard to know what you would call good money remember there are a lot of pay outs every week ok diesel has come down but still i know i pay out a few hundred euro every week just to keep on the road,so good money ?hard to know there are a lot of hours my phone is on everyday and i never take a weekend off it used to be thurs-sun very busy now just a sat night and its hit and miss

• Advertisement
Advertisement