Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On Windows, WiFI switches and WLANs...

Options
  • 08-12-2008 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭

I troubleshoot countless WLANs over the phone and most of the time it's with people who can't be relied upon to find a WiFI switch, function key or even the LED on their laptop to confirm they have the NIC turned on.

There is of course View available wireless networks/Add a network in range of this computer but both of these methods take time and aren't foolproof not least because there could be a problem with the actual access point or signal interference etc etc etc...

I'm wondering if there's a quick way to check if they have their WiFI turned on or not on XP and Vista?

Also, often myself and my colleagues have fixed a WLAN connection on Vista box only by removing the space in the SSID but sometimes Vista has no problem with this, does anybody know what determines whether or not this will be an issue?

Advertisement