Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFL Football?

• 08-12-2008 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

www.ufl-football.com

Kicks off next September.
    Anyone thinks it stands a chance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

www.ufl-football.com

Kicks off next September.
    Anyone thinks it stands a chance?

With out discussion nope :D:D Another XFL and the stupidest move they are thinking of putting a Team in New York. Like NY needs another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

They said they'd have no problem signing up Michael Vick when he's released as he'd be still under suspension from the NFL. I'm sure that would generate massive publicity. I'm not saying it will work but i would find it interesting and if it was on Tv i'd probably find myself watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

They said they'd have no problem signing up Michael Vick when he's released as he'd be still under suspension from the NFL. I'm sure that would generate massive publicity. I'm not saying it will work but i would find it interesting and if it was on Tv i'd probably find myself watching it.

They will run a poll on their website asking people should they pursue Vick once he is out of jail. A good strategy i guess but i dont see how this league will generate any interest. Why watch a 6 team league when you got the NFL and CFB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

They said they'd have no problem signing up Michael Vick when he's released...
    My only thought when I read that is look how good the Falcons receivers now look since he's been gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

they should play during the NFL off season they might get more of an interest then with people just wanting a football fix.

• Advertisement

Indie18 wrote: »
    they should play during the NFL off season they might get more of an interest then with people just wanting a football fix.

There method of thinking was that the XFL was played in the offseason so they would rather compete with the NFL in the fall as that is when people are in football mode as the baseball season in coming to an end and the BBall season only just begins. So they believe its easier to compete with the NFL in Fall when HS and College football is on and people are in football mode than go in the offseason. A friend of mine interviewed with them there recently about a coaching job. Should be interesting to see if they can sway any fans at all. They plan to play on Wednesdays Thursdays and Fridays also.

Well if they plan to try competing with the nfl i could only see them failing to be honest. But the fact that they will be playing midweek might get a few people watching.

They need to compete with the NFL in TV ratings to survive.

But their main goal is to become a feeder league for the NFL since NFL Europe is gone. Im suprised more NFL teams havent jumped on the idea of having a feeder team like they do in Baseball.

It would have certainly helped out the Patriots out this season with all their injuries they are having. Its kinda ridiculous that they had to bring back Seau from the beach and Colvin who hasnt played since the Texans' training camp over other free agent LBs because the know the system. Imagine if they had a feeder team full of young LBs who play Belichick offense week in week out and can develop more younger talent for the aging defence

I have to admit I do like the idea of a feeder league. It would seem to have only benefits for the NFL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭JJ

The UFL does seem to have some impressive excutives at the helm. It could work as a feeder or developmental league. There was a quote by Bill Walsh in an article I read that said every NFL team cuts about 20 players who are probably just as good as the 20 players who just made the cut. There are plenty of willing and able players out there who may not want to go north of the border or play an alternative game like arena football.

• Advertisement

JJ wrote: »
    The UFL does seem to have some impressive excutives at the helm. It could work as a feeder or developmental league. There was a quote by Bill Walsh in an article I read that said every NFL team cuts about 20 players who are probably just as good as the 20 players who just made the cut. There are plenty of willing and able players out there who may not want to go north of the border or play an alternative game like arena football.

For it to be a feeder league though they need a link to the NFL as isnt there a clause in NFL contracts saying you cannot play in the NFL if you are contracted to another Pro team i.e AFL and CFL in this case. Maybe the NFL should loo into the Idea of the feeder league but there is only plans for 6 or 8 teams in the UFL right now so it wont be that effective as a feeder league.

there is only plans for 6 or 8 teams in the UFL right now so it wont be that effective as a feeder league.

True but if were to grow over a few years and maybe get some more teams it could work well. Saying that i don't ever really see it happening.

Indie18 wrote: »
    True but if were to grow over a few years and maybe get some more teams it could work well. Saying that i don't ever really see it happening.

Yeah unless the NFL decide to give it a dig out and buy the competition and make it a Feeder league of sorts it wont get to the stage of expanding in my opinion. The superstars and TV rights in the NFL out weigh new leagues in my opinion.

Yeah unless the NFL decide to give it a dig out and buy the competition and make it a Feeder league of sorts it wont get to the stage of expanding in my opinion. The superstars and TV rights in the NFL out weigh new leagues in my opinion.

Oh no doubt about it. If some new league were to try taking on the nfl in direct competition for fans ratings etc you really couldn't see that new league lasting very long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Well look at RB, look at all the guys that come off the street and do well. They'd improve a lot quicker in a feeder league. A lot of QBs coming out of college also need time to get to where they need to be, eg Warner, Delhomme, Rich Gannon, the list goes on. A feeder league could help development. Would the NFL be in favour of it? Probably not, especially in current economic environment. But a lot of owners were complaining about the lack of NFL Europe alternates this year meaning training camp had less players than normal so from that perspective am sure some owners would be in favour of a link.

jdivision wrote: »
    Well look at RB, look at all the guys that come off the street and do well. They'd improve a lot quicker in a feeder league. A lot of QBs coming out of college also need time to get to where they need to be, eg Warner, Delhomme, Rich Gannon, the list goes on. A feeder league could help development. Would the NFL be in favour of it? Probably not, especially in current economic environment. But a lot of owners were complaining about the lack of NFL Europe alternates this year meaning training camp had less players than normal so from that perspective am sure some owners would be in favour of a link.

The UFL plans on poaching OCs and DCs and position coaches as their Head Coaches on a $1m a year salary.

The are aiming of taking players numbered 44-53 and practise squad players from NFL teams offering them a higher salary than they get at d mo. I can see a lot of players taking it because of the salary cap, NFL teams cant outbid them while the players get to start and probably play less games a season.

See the thing is no one is doubting a feeder league would work for the NFL. But the fact of the matter is unless the UFL and NFL combine, players that do join the UFL will not be freely able to move into the NFL if they are under contract and vice versa. So they would have to hope that if an NFL team shows interest in them that the UFL team just throws them back as a free agent. I can't see NFL teams evr being able to make trades or bring player into the team from the UFL unless some sort of deal is made. It would be nice to see players grow in a professional feeder league though but I don't think the NFL will go down that road and make agreements. Although they might buy them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭TITAN #1

The NFL is a bussiness and a pretty ruthless one at that. It is one of the most recognisable brand names in the world.
    UFL is a cheap imatation and will not be of any benefit to the NFL. It does not need a feeder league that is in direct competition.
    NFL Europe did not compete with the NFL in any way and the lack of TV space for it meant that it was always going to fail to produce a profit.
    I'm surprised that it lasted so long.

Advertisement