Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heads Up Cash

Options
  • 08-12-2008 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Thinking about switching to this as my main online game(50nl on FTP)

I'm just wondering what the swings are like and how many tables would be recommended etc

Ty in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

It's swingier than 6 max unless you're purely bumhunting. I'd say start with no more than 2 tables. Rake will probably kill you at 50nl, although at least FTP have a lower cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

In terms of rakes, is it better cash HU or SNG? I usually play SNG.... played cash a couple of times but felt I was being ripped off in rakes :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭colquhom

i suggest starting off with one table as its a lot harder to autopilot heads up than it is in 6 max. If u feel comfortable, then add more, but i wouldnt rush into it. The swings can be fairly sick, i have had 2 25 buyin down swings and numerous 10 buyin ones, sometimes in fairly short periods of the same day. And i beat it for a high winrate (probably unsustainably so) at the level i play over around 60,000 hands so far. Given that variance is a negative function of ur winrate it shows that even if u have a decent winrate the swings are tilt inducingly horrible heads up, id certainly reccommend 50+ buyins. However, there is money to be made given that there is less (although becoming more prevalent) info about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Rake is absolutely massive, you would want a decent rakeback scheme in place if you are trying this full time...

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Tight Ted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

With a good RB deal, patience and a (relative to 6 max of the same level) huge bankroll for the level your playing they're definitely hugely profitable in terms of BB/100, but multitabling is alot more difficult and the variance is HUGE so you need to have a big bankroll and alot of discipline/lack of tilt. If you play 50nl now and are just bankrolled for it, I'd drop down to 20nl HU if you were making it your main game. Also if you play alot of tables and would have to drop down to one you'd have to have a vastly vastly superior BB/100 compared to 6 max to even maintain the same hourly rate.

Game selection is more important, too, obviously. If some guy is making life difficult for you, just leave and find a different table, some people have an odd amount of trouble with this. Oh and hit and runners will really drive you crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

tilt control is paramount.

I prefer heads up though, and playing more of it is helping with tilt problems.

I find it much more interesting than 6max, and I'm able to put in 1k hand sessions against a single opponent more easily than 1k hands 6 tabling 6max. Swings are bigger yes, but so are your heaters.

I think 1 or 2 tabling HU will develop your game alot quicker and have you thinking more about metagame & range balancing, which won't be a huge factor at 50nl 6max. You get in so much more interesting spots which can only be good for you if you want to progress

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

Mr.Plough wrote: »
    tilt control is paramount.

I prefer heads up though, and playing more of it is helping with tilt problems.

I find it much more interesting than 6max, and I'm able to put in 1k hand sessions against a single opponent more easily than 1k hands 6 tabling 6max. Swings are bigger yes, but so are your heaters.

I think 1 or 2 tabling HU will develop your game alot quicker and have you thinking more about metagame & range balancing, which won't be a huge factor at 50nl 6max. You get in so much more interesting spots which can only be good for you if you want to progress

I would agree with this. Twice the bankroll that you use for 6max would be recommended though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Radian10

Thanks v.much fro the reply's

Beating it for 9PTbb/100 over a measly 16k sample and thought it might be the game for me. But these reply's put me back down to earth(downswing looming:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭The Tourist

The rake in 50NL HU sucks.

What levels do you need to be playing at before the rake is manageable?

• Advertisement
Advertisement